Thread for medieval music

I like medieval music and when I searched in the forum I found very little, spread across different threads. So I’ll open this thread and start with some Swiss and German pagan folk artists that I like to hear. Are there any others who like this style of music? You can post this music here.

Varda Snjór Eldur

Varda Chi mi na Mòrbheanna

Kel Amrun Astarte

Faun Federkleid

Versengold Sturmtanz

Versengold Das Bier ich in der rechten Trug

Oonagh Das Mädchen und der Tod

Musica Calamus

5 Likes

Not sure it qualifies as medieval but here’s some I enjoy (mostly nordic):

Wardruna

Eivør

Heilung

Svensk Folkmusik

4 Likes

Patrick der Helle Barde

3 Likes

@mikny Yes, I would say it’s medieval.
Some nice titles. I like the first and third songs best.
The name wardruna sounded familiar to me.

@MazeFrame Auch sehr schön.
Und wirklich beruhigend.

Also a good song

4 Likes

A bit “polluted” by the usage of modern instruments, but mainly medieval Norwegian vocal music here: Unusual/Unique Artists You're Listening to?

2 Likes

I don’t know if these count but hey! I like everything else that has been posted in this thread!

3 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

Anyone have some good Gregorian chants?

1 Like

Here’s something. It’s (to me) bizarrely hard to find.

and, interestingly enough, this:

I have a few more along these lines. Not the same thing, but along this line.

Yah, ive actualy been having a hell of a time looking for decent quality chants as well. This artist has some cooler shit, but still not exactly the best (at least through my shitty headphones they sound mastered poorly)

The halo sountracks legit may be the best mastered option we have.

2 Likes

Didn’t think to mention her earlier, but Julie Fowlis sings various traditional Gaelic songs, some of which might be as old as the Middle Ages. This new one she posted seems to be from some time around the end of the period:

Julie Fowlis - Till an crodh Dhòmhnaill

3 Likes

I discovered a new Pagan Folk Band. The first album is very relaxed. The second is much more aggressive.

1 Like

Hi there, I have a video I just released with my cello ensemble that you might be interested in! hope you enjoy!

3 Likes

Finaly found some decent Gregorian chants.

Honestly, the local monestary does way better chants every TuThSu (I think it may be a different style as its way more impactful with higher dynamic ranges?), but this is pretty solid for not having to sit through a 4 hour church service.

2 Likes

It’s not just medieval music, but it goes in that direction.
Most of you will know Ritchie Blackmore from Deep Purple’s time. He later founded the band Blackmore’s Night with his wife.

Something different but still nice to listen to :wink:

Enjoy

3 Likes

@PaulG Very nice. I love this mix of old instruments / chants and strong bass.

Wardruna’s new medieval viking album KVITRAVN was released two days ago.

2 Likes

Wardruna is very nice too, love to hear on a long journey

1 Like

Andrey Vinogradov has some really nice stuff of youtube. Usually only Hurdy-Gurdy, no singing.

Here is a video him:

3 Likes