Looking for cable recommendations

Hello, looking to pick up some higher end cables as I have just started to accept that I am in the realm of where it makes a significant enough difference lol. Looking to spend around $500 for each cable. Looking for xlr, rca, speaker cables. Not opposed to buying used at all

2 Likes

Have you asked M0N?

16 Likes

I haven’t, will do that right now @M0N

10 Likes

Going by current price per tonne for copper, if you don’t get at least 75kg of copper in the cables, you are getting ripped off.

Is this a troll? If not…
For what it’s worth, many years ago, when I believed in the supernatural, I was convinced to get Silver Sonic speaker cables and interconnects. Mine were less expensive than you’re talking, but they have a range, including well more expensive than you’re talking, too.

Since then, for a bedroom system, Blue Jeans for speaker cable.

I’m really at the point where it counts (I hate to say it). I have heard some extremely expensive systems where different cables made a significant and worthwhile audible difference. That being said they were easily very high end systems, and also I didn’t notice a difference with cables over 500 ish range, but comparing like up to 500 to stuff like amazon basics or some higher quality mogami cable to more “”“audiophile”"" cables, there was an audible difference. I don’t recommend buying pricey cables nor do I really suggest them to anybody. I am personally just wanting to know what people are using for their higher end setups. This will be later steps, and I have to get other things in order first before buying these cables (I gotta improve my electrical situation and the studio has to get built lol)

I already understand that I will get shit for this post lol, but really this is more insurance at this point, and I want to make sure everything is in order and the cable would never be an issue. And feel free to recommend whatever, I am open to whatever no matter the price (as long as it’s under 500)

1 Like

My problem is, being-real-MON and troll-MON would make exactly the same post.

(Now I am kidding, btw — I didn’t think you were trolling in the first place. When I post, I sometimes forget Poe’s Law).

6 Likes

Maybe?
https://shop.sommercable.com/en/Cable/HiFi-Home/Lautsprecherkabel-HighEnd-100-geschirmt-SC-Quadra-Blue-485-0052-440.html

1 Like

Lol you may be right, but I can’t screw around too much anymore because of that badge next to my name

Also are you familiar with cole’s law?

Where you’re going to throw a lot of money at it will be on the speaker cables side. For XLR cables and RCA cables you’re really buying a connector more than you are a cable. Mogami, Canare or some or some other “gold studio std” like that. And Amphenol or Neutrik connectors will be more than anyone will need. And you can get that for under $50 bucks depending on length.

Speakers, now that’s a whole other world of discussion.

1 Like

Thanks, I will check it out :+1:

That’s kinda what I figured for interconnects, thanks for the info

Parsed into a cup at diners, sometimes? lol.

3 Likes

Damn nobody falls for that anymore lol

1 Like

XLR is made to be robust in the first place.
Round contacts are shit electrically, except when you got frequencies beyond 100kHz when Coax makes sense (which is round or not coax).

Neutrik and the lot just figured out they can pad their bottom line by giving things a shiny powder coat and throwing their marketing team at it.

2 Likes

All my RCA cables match. :wink: It’s a hell of a lot cheaper than every other piece of gear I have. I also try to make my own cables whenever I can, especially for my headphones since those are astronomically priced for what they are.

@MON are you able to borrow a pair of high end cables to hear for yourself at home? I’ve got to figure that some dealer will let you try before you buy or just scour the hell out of ebay and just buy for 45 cents on the dollar for something that would have retailed for $500.

So right now, for speaker cable I am considering the Nordost Purple Flare, as it looks fucking sick and also apparently is well regarded

https://nordost.com/leif/purple-flare/purple-flare-speaker-cable.php

2 Likes

I’m sure I can, I have a pretty dang large network of people I can get stuff from. That being said, I don’t know if I want to ask them for cable recommendations lol. I would go insane trying to find the perfect cable, I just want to get something and never care about it again (kinda like tubes lol)

I ask because I’m sure you don’t have crap now. So what you’re asking is to buy something considerably"mo better" than what you’ve got.

These are for playing Prince?

3 Likes