Today I listened to a $20k+ sound system today.... AMA

like i said, im relatively a noob. been into audio for only a few years now. the room was treated very well, bass traps in corners, etc. the speakers sounded very full but the detail was so comparable to headphones which amazed me

i think i did a shit job at explaining lol.
the speakers sounded like my 58x do, sorry for the bad analogy before - they had more air and were of course louder (and not directly on my head) but that is what i heard

so a neutral midcentric sound with more air and soundstage…

1 Like

I’m not knocking the comparison, it’s just interesting you would make it.

When I got into HiFi, it was speakers first and I still to this day consider headphones to be a less good way of listening to music. I use them for convenience, I really don’t have a good dedicated space I can use in my current house to listen to my Speakers.

Getting in to HiFi from headphones just isn’t really something people did 20 years ago.

maybe i am comparing to the 58x because it is (at the current time) the best sound i have ever heard?

Which DAC are you looking at?

I’ll PM you, just not to derail this thread lol

I guess another question for @adam, do you think the looks and quality of material would influence your purchase if something sounded good but also looked really good vs something that sounds excellent but looks very meh or worse? (as in this territory of price range build and looks def play a role lol)

1 Like

the looks, features, connectors, just variety of things these components can do (and do well) make them super intersting to me. like when i shop, i look for what i can afford. if random dac (for example) can’t do fiber out, then i just have to deal with it. for people that look into these systems there arent really any compromises to be had, they know that they walk into the store, buy this beautiful powerful fucking awesome looking amp and they’re set. store warranty, company warranty, quality that will LAST. i think that all plays a big part. the one amp (on top) had SO MANY features, it was so cool to see.

1 Like

Or you could continue to grow your YouTube channel and get all that crap peice by peice. There is a relevant YouTuber that does filming around those parts.

2 Likes

I dont think I’d ever be able to afford such a system without hardcore fuck you money but if i had truly that level of wealth I might sincerely buy a focal utopia speaker set up.

1 Like

I only know like 3 dacs that cost that much

Berkeley Audio Design (BAD lol), MSB, Brinkmann, dCS, Nagra, and more can reach beyond that lol

I think constellation makes a dac/media server that’s like… 300000

Well, I was trying to keep it within some sense of reason lol

Lol I think because it’s a 32 bit system or something
https://www.constellationaudio.com/taxonomy/term/31

Well, A 32 bit dac isnt going to make it that cost lol

my d10 can do 32 bit…

I figured its 95 percent mark up and snake oil.
Though the article may have been unclear and the writer was talking about the total system

EDIT - its 27 g for the dac alone. The writer was including thencost of the speakers and amps

I mean look at the specs lol

They don’t even know

2 Likes

Lol. The only really expensive dac I want to listen to is the dcs vivaldi system