Top Pink Floyd Album?

You need to imbibe longer :smiley:

I voted Animals, but its a hard choice between Dark Side, Meddle, Wish, and it. The long riffs and emotional messaging in the songs, along with strong lyrics make for a great listen for me. I honestly dont think there is a bad choice tho.

1 Like

Iā€™m good. By the time I reach the 20th song, Iā€™ve had enough

1 Like

The best?

Unquestionably, Dub Side of the Moon. Seriously, give this a listen.

2 Likes

That is a lot of fun. I liked their ā€œRadioDreadā€ too.

1 Like

Apologies in advance for thIs long drawl but I absolutely adore the Floyd. I think all their albums from Meddle up to The Wall are all top quality albums in their own right. Each one has their own particular place within the Pink Floyd catalogue.

My introduction to them was actually quite trivial - when I was a young kid, my mum had a friend that lived in Battersea and on the day before we went to visit her the pink inflatable pig that was tied to Battersea Power Station for the Animals album cover had escaped and it was featured in all the English newspapers at the time and I spent the whole time I was there looking out of her window to see if I could find it. So understandably Animals holds a special place in my heart.

However, I absolutely love Dark Side of the Moon. In the late 80s I used to work for a music publisher distribution company owned by EMI I was very fortunate enough to listen to what I was led to believe were the master tapes. I managed to listen to the whole album and remember walking out the room absolutely gobsmacked, a real jaw-dropping, life changing musical experience. I had never heard an album like it before or since, it had everything musically from ambient, rock, classical, soul and jazz, all on one album.

My next experience was going to a hifi store in Tottenham Court Road, London a couple of years later where I was looking at the most expensive hifi equipment even though I couldnā€™t afford one. The sales assistant took me into a sound proof room and set-up the equipment for a demo and said that the best album to ā€œtestā€ the system was indeed DSOTM. I will never forget the sound that I heard that day, particularly the effect of the man running in a tunnel on the ā€œOn The Runā€ track followed by an airplane crashing. I nearly sh*t myself on the next track ā€œTimeā€ when all the clocks start chiming and then I remember hearing Dave Gilmourā€™s guitar solo thinking that it must be one of the best rock guitar solos of all time and this opinion hasnā€™t changed.

I feel a shiver down my spine every time I listen to that album mainly due to those two events, it truly is a spellbinding album and I unequivocally adore it.

8 Likes

My favorite.

Welpā€¦tonightā€™s musical relaxation therapy turned into a tribute to Pink Floyd kinda sessionā€¦cheers and happy listening all.

3 Likes

Dark Side of The Moon was mine for a long time but Division Bell has become my favorite over the last decade.

A colleague of mine has an excellent point about Floyd, he claims there are no bad albums or songs.

I tend to agree.

3 Likes

Really a tough one, but I have a litte extra ā€œthingā€ for Animal, Meddle is possibly my #2 but The Wall will always be special as itā€™s an album Iā€™ve heard so much as a kid and was my introduction to this wonderful band!

1 Like

A couple of years later and Iā€™ve changed the order of my top favorites.

1. Animals
  2. Wish You Were Here
  3. Dark Side of the Moon
  4. The Wall
  5. Meddle
  6. A Saucerful of Secrets

The top 3 changed a bit, possibly due to more repeated plays, and moving into a house from an apartment where I can flex my 2-channel setup to my hearts delight.

I think PF was way ahead of their time for production quality, effects and creativity. I think thatā€™s why theyā€™re a lasting favorite through generations of listeners. Their music never seems dated.

1 Like

This is extremely hard, but for me itā€™s ā€œDark Side of the Moonā€, for the music and for the impact it had on me back then. ā€œAnimalsā€ would be a close second.

1 Like

Dark Side and Wish you were here for me :balance_scale:

2 Likes

Dark Side of the Moon. My favourite album ever. I got it when I was 14 (like a million years ago). I like to just play it several times a year to keep it semi fresh. :grin:

3 Likes

Yep pretty much me tooā€¦and those bells still make me jump to this very day :smile:

2 Likes

I was about to say ā€œthis is impossibleā€ but in the end I picked Animals. Heavy hitting, angry, still impressively experimental.

To be honest Atom heart mother is up there just because I love the solo and vibe of Fat old sun just too much. And whenever Alanā€™s psychedelic breakfast comes on unexpectedly, I often listen to the whole thing.

Even though I donā€™t care for how specifically topical the Final Cut is vs more abstract and general human themes in the other albums, I love a lot of it musically. Not now John, the Gunners Dream. The latter is one of my favorite Floyd songs. Gentle, moves me.

Aw rats I forgot about The Division Bell. I would lie out on the soccer fields at lunch listening to High Hopes.

2 Likes

Iā€™m with you. After decades of listening to PF, thatā€™s one I still enjoy. Hereā€™s my top 5 favorite PF albums:

1. Animals
  2. The Dark Side of the Moon
  3. Wish You Were Here
  4. The Final Cut
  5. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
3 Likes

This is never a easy choice for me. They are one of my 2 favorite bands. And the longest to hold that position in my heart. It used to be WYWH for a very long time. Then Animals took itā€™s place. After many years Iā€™ve realized it depends on what mood Iā€™m in. My single favorite song is Echoes, and that helps Meddle to be in my top 5. I love The Wall when Iā€™m feeling that kind of depression that only it can help me fight off. Dark Side is great donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™ve just heard it so much over the years I can go a long time before I feel the need to listen to it.

4 Likes