Topping A30pro (has potential)

1 Like

The amp is worth it but D30 Pro is way too overpriced and underperforming considering SMSL M300 MK II exist for almost half the cost. M300 MK II uses AK4497 and also has tube mode.
M300 MK II supports up to 32bit/768kHz DSD512 (if that matters).

Seriously, what Topping was thinking?

I currently own su-9 and a30 pro, this week d30 pro will be delivered, i will share my impression,but i hear that d30 pro is more enjoyable and 3d than su-9, interesting…

Did you compare them side by side? Or your opinion based on measurements? Im not interested on this modern ultra high res formats, im interested in sound quality in pcm.

A30 pro amplifier is very good, and im very interested how it sounds with its own d30 dac

1 Like

I haven’t tried it.

I’m one of those people who believes all dacs sound the same. I have compared some dacs with the same amp using fast switch. Couldn’t hear a difference.

I thought I heard some differences in long term listening, though. Maybe that’s why some people are against fast switch. I took it as differences in my mood rather than the dac. You know, good day/bad day.

1 Like

This is actually a good point. I know that in my case I can hear a piece of music using the same gear and it won’t sound the same from one day to the next. This is definitely a limitation of the human machine.

Having said this, I believe that different DACs can process sound data in ways that produces a slightly different result, small as those differences may be.

1 Like

Has anyone tested A30 Pro against SMSL SP200? I want to order one but I’m not sure if it’s worth 60€ over the SP200 which has similar power and transparancy.
I’m mainly using DT1990 and Nighthawk carbon

Used to own the SP200 and now own a A30 Pro. A30 Pro is def worth it over the SP200. Sounds less sharp from memory. Way nicer volume potentiometer. The volume potentiometer in the SP200 is complete garabage. The volume knob/potentiometer that the SP200 uses feels loose and wobbly. A30 Pro also has much nicer chassis.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m gonna order the A30 Pro now

Doing side by side comparison su-9 and d30 pro, they don’t sound the same, sound signature very different, this is not my imagination, su-9 is flat and detailed, d30 pro much warmer and sounds more 3d dimensional, but in comparison feels like su-9 cleaner, but i think it is dac chip signature, no they dont sound the same! Just buy them and do the comparison by yourself:) Trust your ears and not someone opinion:) this is the only way to audio pleasure!

Su-9 is far from neutral, it is flat, detailed and very sharp, cant listen it loud!
D30 pro is not neutral, it is coloured sound, far from neutral, warm and comfortable even at loud volumes, but with a grain of salt, it lacks details in sound in comparison to su-9, bet feel more comfortable. I need some time with both. Su-9 shows all sound in front of you, with d30 pro you are in this soundstage.

Update: from my point of view A30 pro amplifier sounds better with su-9 dac, but d30 pro just right from the box, burn in?:))

1 Like

Cirrus Logic are quite “rare”, especially 4 of them. I’m not surprised about the different sound.

1 Like

Since this is not a true balanced amp, does it mean that it will not make a difference whether I use balanced or single ended input?

No. XLR balanced inputs provide more power then the RCA unbalanced. I use RCA unbalanced inputs with my A30 Pro because otherwise it will be too loud even in low gain.

Could you please tell which dac are you use with it? Thank you:)

I use a Bifrost 2

1 Like

Somebody did a comparison of A30 pro to their A90 amplifier? Interesting how comparable singxer amp to this one

2 Likes

4:20 :

Edit: He also said the D30 pro adds a bit of soundstage because of the 4 dacs inside… so if paired together it’s ok. Still not full-balanced and the A90 is, I think.
Also, the A30/D30 pro stack is probably smaller than you think. :grin:

1 Like

Thank you, then i think i will try A90 amp, currently using d90 with a30 pro. Previously i purchased amp and d30 pro dac,but i did not like the dac at all and already sold it, got the d90 instead and i think it sounds very good, i like this dac, i think it is goodall rounder for this money(700 bucks)… And the question was, is it worth to get a90 amp for d90 connected via xlr and to se headphones from amp… And after your response i will get it 100% to try:)

I have info from my friend, that in June should be sale period on shenzhenaudio shop, but i don’t know when exactly, i will wait for discounts and currently thinking about two amps sa-1 or a90 for d90 dac. All my headphones are SE.

1 Like

Compared A30 pro vs Singxer SA-1 for single end headphone usage, i purchased both and compared them side by side with dt 1990 and 1770 250 ohm. I prefer A30 pro much better, because A30 is faster, cleaner, more punch and dynamic in bass region, much more power for se output, even with 1990 headphones i was able to max out volume on SA-1, on A30 pro the same volume level only with 45-50 percent. The only one thing SA-1 do better than A30 pro is the stage size, soundstage is larger, but in every other aspect such as: speed, details, overall sound dynamics, from my point of view - A30 pro is better. I sold my SA-1 today, and i think it is a little bit overpriced, because with a30 pro only for 350$ i get more details from sound, more punch, more engagement.

When i decided to buy SA-1, i already own A30 pro, with customs SA-1 price was doubled in comparison to A30 pro, and after it was delivered it was big disappointment, because sound is muddier, slower, attacks was much slower, i tried dc mod, it improved sound a little bit, and tried burn in for 120 hours. After all this steps i tried to like SA-1 because of more nice form factor, it stacked better with my dac, and the volume control pot feels better, but im sad to say -there was no success. Maybe with balanced headphones Singxer sounds great, but, when you need only Single end connecting, then A30 pro is your choice.

Sorry for bad English.
My current chain is: Topping D90 - Topping A30pro - DT 1990/1770

P.s. I also tried Topping A90 amp for better stack with d90, but the A90 sound boring and flat in comparison to A30 pro, but again the soundstage was a little bit bigger. I hope my impressions will help you with decision.

For me it’s a little bit strange, that there is so many forum posts for SA-1 amplifier on different forums, and almost dead discussion for A30 pro amplifier, i think audiophiles/musiclovers skipped this devices because of the cheap price, but for me - this amp is GEM.

5 Likes

Is there any chance that you could compare SA-1 and A30 pro in terms of their balanced output as well?

1 Like

Sorry but i can’t, already sold SA-1. Will be interested in impressions of other people too:)