Topping A90 static at higher volumes?

I had the Sabaj D5 and returned it thinking I could have the same features and sound at the same price…or cheaper…and I swear nothing has compared since :frowning:

So i took the THX out of the surge protector it was in, and put the topping in the same plug. and the noise is still there

So just to verify again, if you unplug the dac from the topping, the noise isn’t there correct?

At this point for what you would spend to get something like an ifi idefender you might as well get a balanced dac (the enog 2 pro would be great for not having a chance for ground loops, as would the modius if you need usb)

Noise from moving a mouse can also be RF, not just a ground loop.
Small Changes in CPU/GPU load can change the noise frequencies.
If it’s practical you can try moving the DAC or amp physically to see if the noise changes/reduces.

Ah that’s also true, sometimes if you have a game or video up you might notice it more than if you didn’t if it’s an electrically noisy pc. But yeah the a90 might not be as well shielded

That’s correct! Theres no noise from the topping unless the DAC is plugged. I would just hate to buy another expensive DAC and have this happen. Also what if i ever get studio monitors and use the RCA for them, will I just be subject to the hissing on that output?

Let me try that, maybe put it further from my computer?

It’s a much lower chance if you use balanced and even lower if you use balanced and optical in conjunction, I would say it’s a safe bet imo

It depends, but really you would want to use balanced if possible if you suffer from ground loops

Suffer is definitely the right term lol. The only products I’ve had this on was an SMSL SP200 and a SCHIIT ASGAARD. ive used a couple other topping and SMSL products and the Sabaj but nothing ever sounded like this

I didn’t find my a90 super susceptible to noise or ground loops when I had it, but it really varies from setup to setup

What are you running with now?

Many other amps, I have it laid out on my profile for the most part. The a90 was neat but personally not up my alley

Beautiful collection you got there! thanks again for your help tonight. Buying a SU8 or a Sabaj d5 or splurge a bit more for the d90?

If you are going for the 250 range, I think the enog 2 pro is great if you have optical and want a more neutral sound, the modius is good if you want something warmer and smoother, and the su8 is good if you want a more bright and analytical sound signature

I think if you wanted to go with another topping I think the d70 is a pretty solid unit, personally I don’t think it’s worth going for the d90 as imo it’s only a marginal upgrade, where you could go for a bifrost 2 or ares ii at the same price and get more of an upgrade imo

Honestly, really may give Geshelli or JDS labs a try, I haven’t had their brands yet. The D70 looks good but I really want to aim for the high balance between the best measurements and best sound. I think the Dx7 or the Sabaj D5 are cheaper.

Worth a look, although I don’t think jds makes a balanced dac

From my experience you have to sacrifice one of these to get the other lol

Just is true (I think they are both like 500) but then you also pay for an amp that you won’t use (unless you plan to sell the a90)

May place an order on the Enog 2, I just hope it can get here soon enough. Or an SMSL SU8 (Both are really difficult to get in Canada)

Actually, maybe that’s just my fear of getting hit with customs charges talking

Ah Canada ok. The smsl m300 mk2 makes more sense than the su8 then if you go smsl then. And I think geshelli might have free Canada shipping

I hate to say I was very unimpressed with the sounds. It was my first go-to after refunding the Sabaj D5. Maybe the Sabaj has forever just ruined what I expect from a DAC now lol.
I tried the m300 mkii, Topping e30, the Modi 3 and now the Grace DAC since refunding my Sabaj. Sabaj still had the most crisp and beautiful representation of the music, while itself being a very nice unit with great features. The Grace Dac is actually amazing so far, minus this grounding issue.