Topping A90 static at higher volumes?

So it seems like you like ess dacs then is my guess, as every other dac you have tried and not liked that much have been akm dacs (although you like the sdac which is akm)

With others mentioning ground loops and related issues stemming from devices being on seperate circuits already, I would focus on the DAC or computer, especially since this here:

Have you tried running the SDAC via a powered USB hub?

1 Like

This can help if you can find a way to power the sdac alternatively. If you have a monitor or dock with a built in USB hub this sometimes works too

Thanks for that recommendation! Let me see if I can find my old one one from an old Samsung phone or something lol

Wow that’s awesome, I never even thought about it that way. I’ve tested a couple different DACS but i think you’re right the ones i’ve enjoyed have been Sabre :open_mouth:

If you like the d5 that much you might as well pick it up again imo. I haven’t tried this one but the soncoz LA-QXD1 looks pretty interesting for the price (and uses a similar ess chip). Did you find the other dacs too smooth or not “crisp” enough?

1 Like

Let me see if i can find a place that can ship the Soncoz to me asap. I may try that out. I have an open cart with the Geshelli Labs. I see the Gustard 18 Dac on Amazon.co.uk but nowhere else ;( looks reasonably priced and epic

going Sabaj again will be the fallback, or Dx7 pro or D90 for the high budget choices
geshelli or soncoz or Su8 for budget. Found a Used SU8 for 180$ usd will ship to Canada

The gustard is nice but not super special from my experience, just another well implemented akm DAC

Honestly if you are spending d90 money I would really suggest to look at a multibit or r2r dac instead imo, the ares ii might be something you would enjoy

That’s not bad, is it a v1 or v2?

how can I tell? It says 10th anniversary edition on the back

I quoted the wrong thing lol

If it says 10th on the su8 that’s a v2 and you are good there

They seem pretty high in demand, i think the resale wouldnt be too hard either if i dont like it or it has issues (but i think it should be fine) from a popular R forum

Just got an SMSL m500 to try the XLR’s with the Topping A90. Ive plugged in the m500 and sound comes out of its headphone amp, but … No sound yet coming from the A90 that is plugged via XLR. What am i doing wrong?

Make sure the output volume of the dac is raised, you can adjust the volume of the headphone amp in the m500 and also it’s line out

yeah it seems to be up at max volume. Seems like there might be an issue with the output. hmm

You sure the actual output is at fixed volume? It should have a speaker icon and the volume number. If you still aren’t getting sound try using rca and see if you get any results, also in the settings make sure you choose line out mode

yeah I just used the RCA and it worked! but XLR … still nothing. let me try different cables

Stupid question, but you have the a90 set to xlr input correct?

yes! and I think that may be a part of the issue. i actually have a hunch that switch itself may be broken :\ testing