šŸ”· Topping A90

I think the a90 is cleaner and more neutral (you most likely saw this one coming), the a90 is more forward overall compared to the more relaxed liquid plat, the a90 does extend more into the treble than the plat does, but I think the plat has better low level detail than the a90, the plat has a fair bit better timbre than the a90, the plat has a noticeable step up in spatial recreation in pretty much all ways, and the plat also tends to have a more natural sounding presentation. The single ended out of the a90 is better sounding than the liquid plat single ended out (judging on their performance balanced vs balanced). I think the a90 is a bit less dac sensitive than the liquid plat. Impact they are on a similar level but the a90 is more speedy but also less true to life in the time domain than the plat imo. Overall though the plat feels like a higher tier amp

3 Likes

Very detailed as usual! Thanks. :+1:

I am always curious. I can see many people treating the LP as end game. If I was smart, I would have. :laughing:

If you treat that as detailed your standards might be a bit too low lol

1 Like

That is as detailed as I want in a comparison. I have zero intention of buying an A90, just curious.

3 Likes

Very curious how the violectric sounds for you lol

1 Like

You and me both. Tracking app says it will be here today, but itā€™s already 3:00PM. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Good luck lol :+1:

1 Like

Find where the UPS guy takes his breaks and go knock on the door of his truck! :joy:

@ValentineLuke

1 Like

For me itā€™s the post office, so hope is fadingā€¦

2 Likes

It works! :+1:t4:

1 Like

Well interesting the SMSL M400 is now out but is ~$200 more than I expected. Here is the ASR ā€œreviewā€.

Most of these is beyond the measurable or audible range so not quite sure what to think. Itā€™s a bit too pricey for what it is @ $810. M400 -> Topping A90 would be an interesting but pricey combo.

They axed the output buffer for better measurements? This is leaning way too hard into measurements lol

2 Likes

They axed the output buffer to get better THD+N.

The measurement of output impedance, on the other hand, was adversely impacted(1000Ohm or more). This is a perfect example of working towards a single metric and not a result.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is going a bit too far lol

1 Like

ā€œForget THX, Topping A90 is on a much higher level, and the only contender is actually the Benchmark HPA4.ā€

ā€œinvisible headphone amplifierā€.

#hype

2 Likes

Wow he loves that productā€¦

good for him.

I donā€™t have audiophile trained ears so I canā€™t break it down in those terms, but I received this amp yesterday and it sounds better than my Schiit Magni 3 (big surprise lol).

I have it hooked up via balanced cables with my SMSL SU-8 DAC. Using DT 1990 Pro headphones with Dekoni Elite pads. (Single ended output)

It doesnā€™t get quite as loud as I like, compared to the Schiit Magni 3 which is almost twice the power output. But the sound is more enjoyable. For one thing the treble has more sparkle to it which I noticed right away.

The loudness issue is mainly due to the fact I listen on YouTube, so itā€™s quieter than normal, and quiet songs are even quieter lol. But some songs Iā€™ve downloaded through Google Music or listening on Soundcloud, get plenty loud.

For that reason I have to leave the amp on High gain and the volume knob cranked 100%. Then I adjust the source volume usually between 80-100%.

The other thing I enjoyed is with all volume turned up 100%, there wasnā€™t that compression sound (clipping?) to music like with the Magni and SMSL SP200. But that might have to do with the power rating of the headphones is a better match with the Topping A90 than other much more powerful amps Iā€™ve used.

Edit: I just realized I can pay $10/month for Soundcloud which has all my songs from YouTube but better quality, so that fixes the loudness issue.

Everywhere I go and read the A90 continues to get rave reviews.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not surprised, actually. Love or hate ASR, but topping makes nice super clean products. If thatā€™s not your preference, fine. But Topping hits the target theyā€™re aiming for.

I still havenā€™t been able to find a replacement for my D90, and Iā€™ve tried ALL the sub $1000 dacs (mostly). :joy:

1 Like