šŸ”· Topping DX3 Pro+

On my dx3 v2 (non +), i sometimes lose sound on Windows after having listened to foobar in asio mode. It seems there is a bug in exclusivity releasing or somethingā€¦ I then have to reboot the topping (unplug and replug) for it to work again .

Iā€™m not sure where the default comes from (foobar, drivers, the unit,ā€¦)

And here I thought my biggest problem would be having to hit the output selection button.

Iā€™ll have to test this bug once I figure out ASIO. I love that the Topping drivers let you set the buffer size (for ASIO) along with having a good default buffer size.

Maybe you wonā€™t have any problem, i donā€™t know.

I personnaly am not really happy with my dx3 pro V2:

• the volume change is too slow
  • the feeling of the knob bothers me (I much preferred the smoothness of the ifi zen)
  • it has a really high output impedance (specific to my model)
  • the volume output is generally way lower than what is announced: I have to put it on -30 ~-20 to get proper volume with my hd6xx and he400i
1 Like

Yeah, it is more of a DAC that happens to include a Headphone AMP.

The Knob on the plus is a little better than previous models, but the back and forth of the volume control can still drop a number. I am sure a lot of work went into matching the ā€˜digitalā€™ knob tic to the digital volume change, but I agree, smoothness on knobs is just better: give me a knob with some heft and resistance that I can spin without making my nerves feel funny. I didnā€™t really consider much about the user experience and feel for the DX3 Pro. I was after value for specs.

ASR measured the max power output on high gain at 32 Ohm is 1.5 W for the plus, which is 500 mW more than the V1.

Yeah I know: the numbers of the topping are way higher than the zen dac. But what I remember is that the knob was at 12 oā€™clock for my he400i. On the dx3 pro itā€™s at a level that would correspond to 16 oā€™clock.

2 Likes