Tower speaker buying advice

Hello,

I am hoping to get some advice or maybe start a discussion on what tower speakers I should buy. I was at Best Buy the other day and ran across some open box MartinLogan Motion 30’s for <300 each. Took them home and unfortunately one tweeter did not work so had to return them. Overall I was pretty happy with the sound and volume the one speaker I heard put out.

That experience seemed to start a fire in me and now I am feeling the burning need for some really nice (per my budget) tower speakers. I am looking for something to complement the PB-2000 I already have. The PB-2000 seems to hit that deep ringing bass just fine, but I feel like it doesn’t want to play for example a hard hitting disco/dance/EDM kick drum cleanly. One comment on the PB-2000, I almost bought the SB-2000 initially but found a better deal on the PB and went for that.

I listen to a lot of hip-hop, reggaeton etc… but would like something capable for “critical listening” and calssical as well if possible.

I will also be using these speakers for a 5.1 setup, so will want to take that into account and being able to purchanse a matching center is something to consider. I have Polk OWM3 for surrounds, but am currently using them as L/R in my current 2.1.

Here are the speakers I am considering and the measurements I could find, along with my thoughts and nits I could pick. Likely room modes would overwhelm these nits I suspect. I’m in analysis paralysis, any advice for me?

svs ultra tower
svs pinnacle prime (very low distortion, frequency response dip around 2k )
jbl 590 (significant distortion below 200 )
martinlogan motion 40 (big drop in frequency response @ 500hz )
Ascend Sierra Horizon ( seem to have lots of distortion and low sensitivity but folks in the forums seem to say they are the second coming)
Klipsch R-820-F (lowish sensitivity? )
golden ears triton 7 (frequency response dip around 4k )

For what you are looking for, I think the ultra towers and the horizons are my pick. Both are pretty great speakers, just different sounding. The svs are more dynamic and have pretty great punch with very very good spatial recreation and imaging imo. They do prefer loud volumes to get the most out of them, so with the ultras listening a bit louder brings them out a bit more

I think the horizons are going to be a bit more detailed with a smoother response, not as dynamic but also I think a bit more refined with a bit more colored signature. Also easier to drive compared to the ultras from my experience.

What amp are you using again?

Right now I am using an old Sony BTE-885 AVR I picked up at a thrift store. From what I understand it is 100 watts/ch class AB.

I’ll likely upgrade that sometime later this year and maybe add something like the Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore 2

Gotcha, well I think then you should be fine with either options then, although in the future I would aim higher quality power than crown amps, you could find some nice used higher end power amps, both speakers benefit from higher quality amplification

You can also check if the Polk LSiM 707 are still on sale.

Are you looking used for the speakers? You can find a good deal on the SVS typically, while it might be harder to find the horizon. It does depend on your location though as it might be hard for shipping or location

Where were the LSiM707’s on sale?

https://www.polkaudio.com/on-sale

I bought my 703s from Adorama a few months back for no tax no shipping. If you Google Adorama Polk sale, you may find something still. Best of luck w/ your research.

Thank you for the links. Looks like it is still on sale, 50% off. How do these compare to the SVS ultra towers? Are they as dynamic?

So the polk are warmer, smoother, more relaxed but still resolving and entertaining. I don’t think it’s as dynamic, but I would say this would be the more relax and chill option