Transferring from Open to Closed Back Headphones

Agreed. Also, if you want to isolate yourself from your surroundings (perhaps you live in a busy city or a busy environment in general), then you will benefit from isolation from closed-backs.

The only person that did very correct youtube tests was Tharbamar. He used the exact same tracks and had a couple for different genres. But I personally don’t think you can tell much from it besides hearing how it sounds compared to other products on the exact same setup (e.g. one will sound brighter than the other). But it will remain essential to listen to audio equipment, because you will never be able to hear sound from words on a computer screen… not even from words on paper :wink:

You have to listen to it with you very own ears (if possible!)

2 Likes

Kinda feel like the “sound tests” are secretly just a ploy to get more videos (views, ad money) out per week. I check Z’s channel everyday and I can’t count how many times I’ve been disappointed by a new “sound test” video instead of another review…

Well, he’s a good guy but he does need to make a living and the number of hits each of them gets tells me they provide value to a significant number of people. Not for me to judge. In the meantime we’d be happy to turn you on to a bunch of other YT reviewers to fill those voids of disappointment, lol.

I only watch the three amigos (Zeos, DMS, Josh). But I also lurk the audio forums (all of em) to see what’s the new best thing. If you know of any other great headphone review YTrs then pls let me know because as great as those three are, nothing can fill the void that was created when Tyll left the scene…

Speaking of Tyll, I still don’t understand what happened with his website and why it is redirecting to Sterophile… so many great resources from Tyll lost.

RIP IF
It’s been real…

Thank the gods for archive.org, AKA The Wayback Machine. InnerFi can be found here. Start with that link and navigate where you will (yes, it’s painfully slow). Multiple snapshots of the site exist there throughout its history.

InnerFidelity and related sites were purchased by a new owner just before Tyll retired (who swears the two events are unrelated). The new owner replaced Tyll with Rafe Arnott. Rafe was on board with the new owner’s ideas on how to expand hit counts, but that policy just drove the site into the ground. So the new owner first replaced Rafe with another guy, then a few months later decided he no longer wanted to pay the bills on InnerFi and replaced it with a link to Stereophile. The idea is that there will be expanded headphone coverage on Stereophile to take InnnerFi’s place.

I would be okay if the whole site was transferred to Stereophile, but it’s total bs like this.

Sucks that you put decades of work into something and you have a strong following, and then all of this disappears. Tyll left with a bag of $, but the followers were left with…

We have two whole threads on the topic of reviewers, YouTube- Reviews, Chats, and other Content and Good audio reviewers and ones to stay far far away from. But that might be a bit much to wade through, lol.

Since you mention DMS, he is the producer of the Abyss channel’s content on YouTube. You may find that entertaining. I personally watch PSAudio (Paul McGowan), The Headphone Show, formerly Resolve Reviews (Jonathan Park and Chrono), ’DBS Tech Talk (David Sylvia), Currawong (Amos), Wheezy Tech and The Headphone Experience (William Murdoch). For more YT Tyll content from days gone by search YT for the defunct Home Theater Geeks, episodes 69, 91, 92, 133, 154, 172, 243, 279, 297, 325 and 370.

4 Likes