Transitioning system

Hello,

Recently I bought headphones and a Valhalla 2, also a few other items (Mani/Moni/Sys). After 24 hours, I realize I absolutely hate headphones. So, I bought Kali LP-6’s and here I sit. I really like the way it sounds but I want more. I’d like to spend less than $1500 or less to finish it off or replace. Currently I use a MacBook and occasionally the turntable for a music source. Music - rock/blues/jazz (ex. Vestbo Trio). My room/office is roughly 15 x 20. I’m looking at a Vidar for power (Should I keep the Valhalla for something as well? ). For speakers/monitors - Adam, Genelec, Focal, LS500, Elac UF5 among others. Am I on the right track? TIA for any input, Steve

Well, are you leaning towards powered monitors or passive bookshelf’s? Also, since you seem to like the kalis, you like a more studio neutral signature, or are you looking for something else?

Thank you for your response - I’m probably leaning toward monitors. I just have miscellaneous Sonos around the house to compare them to, or old memories of passive speakers from 20 years ago. When I play clean stuff from (Dali CD tracks on itunes) the LP’s sound really good, but if I play rock with a lot of stuff going on, they sound boxed in to me. But maybe that’s the monitor size limitations or the lack of power?

Hmmm, you might like some genelec monitors as they can do room correction to adjust themselves to meet you room, which might alleviate the boxed in effect the kalis have. Genelecs are great, but they might be a little less forgiving with poor quality recordings if that would be alight, as they don’t really sweeten anything up.

Also just curious what headphones did you pick up?

And would you be opposed for buying used?

HiFiMan HE5se and then something else my son had. Headphones just don’t give me the feeling I like the way speakers do. I should mention I’m a 53 yo dino, so my ears are not great. Probably opposed but always open to used. There would just have to be a big enough “wow” in the deal.

Ah, well, the 5se has been having some stuff go down, where the initial run’s sounded great, but currently the ones floating around sound like ass, as hifiman did something that seriously degraded the quality from what it seems (so you may have just happened to unfortunately get one of the bad units)

Yeah headphones have a very difficult time replicating speakers, and if you wanted something like speakers in headphone form, the akg k1000 or the raal sr1a might be an interesting look lol

Hmmm, so if you want to buy new the genelecs might be out of your price range which is fine for sure. What matters most to you for sound (as in what aspects do you really like and what do you shy away from)?

Thanks M0N, Yes I think I got some shitty headphones ha! Fortunately I’m lucky enough to live were I can play my music as loud as I was want 24/7.

Hate - harsh highs/treble or bass shaking.

Like - very open sound - distinction between instruments, detail?

Something that might be actually up your alley could be the Swan M3a

I heard these and they were very impressive for the price, and also avoid harshness in the high end and control bass very well. They have a pretty balanced sound with great imaging and soundstage, and the separation is very good. Also they have a pretty good amount of features

Of course there are other options as well

Something else too would be the Vanatoo Transparent 1’s

Well, a big question, do you have lots of space on your desk? those M3As are great, but huge.

I mean I think they can work on a desk if you have the space

Actually some Dynaudio Xeo 10 or KEF LSX would be very nice as well. The Xeo 10 was especially impressive to me for the price

Personally the swan or dynaudio would be my pick for what you want

This is the space that have for the system. I will be hard at work researching your suggestions. Thank you for all your time and help.

1 Like

Yeah than the swanns would do a very good job at filling the room imo.

Also those kali are designed for nearfield, so you might also want to give that a try some time