True Wireless InEar HP recommendations 2024

Hi! New member here.

Short intro. I have been an audiphile for ~15 year now. Have gone through loads of gear from studio monitors to headphones. I am recently more focused on speakers and looking to build a 3-way setup from ground up. Anyway… Back on topic. :slight_smile:

I am looking for a new pair on True Wireless InEar HPs.

I have had Sennheiser Momentum 3 True Wireless and Sony WF1000M4.

I’d say, Sennheisers might have been better sounding although they were pretty close. So anything that would be close to the Momentums or better would be great.

I am actually running the big Momentum 4s atm now but I am looking for inears.

1. Anyone here have experience with Bowers & Wilkins Pi5 S2 or Pi7 S2?

2. Is it even worth it going TRWs or should I get wired headphones?

Consider getting a TWS adapter such as the TRN BT20 Pro which you can then pair it with whatever iem you want. Cons would be that it does not have any of the ANC/ambience mode that the mainstream tws iems have nor any fancy features.

2 Likes

Those are great tws to start and compare with. I really enjoyed final z8000 except for the tips and believe it or not swan aw75 have been my #1 go to for tws now for a couple of months. They are probably the best tuned tws to my ears and are very comparable to regular iems.

Don’t sleep on the AKG N400NC.

VERY clean, neutral sound for TWS. But weird-shaped shells and wings can make fit tough.

Plus, they’re not easy to find and cost $150 new. Good ANC but mediocre battery life, especially compared to newer sets.

I got mine a few years back during a holiday clearance sale for $46 and still use them often today. Best TWS IEMs I’ve heard. Like them better than models I tried from Bose, Sony, Sennheiser and Soundcore.

1 Like

I do not like the N400, sound is not up my alley at all and the bluetooth stuff in it is absolute shit.

It’s quite Harman-ish neutral, which is not the norm for consumer-oriented TWS buds and IEMs. Yeah, the N400 won’t attack you with bloated bass and crispy treble like Sennheiser and Sony TWS.

Horses for courses …

Yeah Im not a fan of it at all. Forgot the specifics of why though…but with how bad the BT stuff in it is, just a better choice to go for the TRN BT20 Pro route instead.

Mine broke after a year.

Christ on a bike, I didn’t realize the TRN BT20 was that cheap. Yeah, that’s a hell of a good option.

You want the “BT20XS” or the newer “BT20 Pro” versions. (I have the XS, that battery is an infinite power reactor.)

1 Like

Thanks for the input.

I have noticed that the main gripe I have with TRWs HPs is their DSP,ing…

DSP isn’t inheritly bad but I like as little as possible DPS near the trandsducers… That’s why people do HD600 & HD800 mods. And they work better than any EQ.

Anyway… the TRWs often lack true macro dynamics that some IEMs have.

The unbeatable PRO for TRWs is their practicality. And I am looking to use them on the go with the phone, so that’s why I am considering them again, in the first place.

I might just go Wired…

I’ll read the IEM thread here for some models to choose from.

That is because some overused DSP, with the natural tuning being majorly different so the DSP ends up having to overhaul the whole thing which might turn out badly. Essentially like using PEQ I guess, Planars does respond better to it and does not have as much of a bottleneck when doing that though.

Which leads to me confirming that the TWS adapter route (BT20XS/Pro) would be the best for you, you get the TWS part AND you have NO DSP JUST THE NATURAL TUNING FROM THE IEM.

2 Likes