Trying to justify potential DT880 600ohm purchase

I have a tiny little Sabaj PHA3 hybrid tube amp. My question is a two parter: (1) what sort of change would high impedence headphones have to an amp like this, or is it subjective to the amp and headphones? (2) Would anyone have a suggestion for headphones other than the DT880s in the same price range. Drop doesn’t ship to where I live (Guam - sadface) and after a few bad experiences on Ebay I’d like to avoid making significant purchases over there. Love you guys!

HD 650 or 600 would tube better than a 990 imo. I find 880’s to be bright enough that making them brighter might actually be bad. Also the affect that would happen would probably be almost. Nothing because that amp is simply not powerful enough to run 600 ohm you would powering them sure but it would be pretty quite.

After doing more research apparently tubes are great for higher impedance Beyers but I still wouldn’t do that cause that amp is not powerful enough

1 Like

Hai there! I honestly would love a taste of the hd600s but theyre just outside of my price range and I know it’d be asking alot for cans with such a reputation to drop further, but. You know what it might be better to save a little more yeah. On another note: would you think dropping down to the 250ohm version on the 880s prove to be futile as well? Also: love the avatar my dude! Kumusta haha! (thats unfortunately all the tagalog I know)

it could maybe help if you did drop down but i dont know if it can still drive them they should tube well though.also i barely know tagalog.

1 Like

600 ohms is pushing it tbh…I used to run my old 250 ohm DT770 Pros’s ok off a Little Dot MKII which gives 300mW at 300 ohms while the Sabaj PHA3 is 20 mW at 300 ohms…but the DT range does tube well though :+1:

1 Like

Sweet! Thanks so much for the feedback guys! Based on what you two have to say, seems a better immediate investment rn might be a better tube amp? If the DT line take to tubes well I’ll keep it as a consideration for now and add the HD600s to the potential list as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I run tubes and solid-state with my HD660’s and depending what i’m feeling like and listening to I love 'em in almost every way…the tubes give me a richer more laid back sound…the solid-state gives a slightly quicker/tighter response…So yeah love 'em…HD600/660’s get my :+1: enjoy mate.

1 Like