Two for One or All In (Headphones)?

Ok so, I just won 2000 bucks, and I’ve been eyeing a pair of used HD800s for 700 bucks, should I go for a pair of those and use the rest of the money on something in the 1300 range, or should I go all in and get a pair of headphones in the ~2000 range? Sorry for it being kinda abrupt but idk how long the HD800 offer will last (I was thinking of modding them with the Dupoot mod so I don’t have to pay more for an HD800S).

1 Like

Do you have a good amp for the Senns?

2 Likes

Custom Made OTL Tube Amp (~30 Ohm Output, Can Be Lowered to 16 Ohm) Kinda irrelevant though since the HD800s are 150 Ohm. It can easily push HD600s to a breaking point if the pot goes too far (Need to finish it, small touches, but it works).

Oh also the DAC is an SMSL D1, so the Source Quality isn’t too bad either.

2 Likes

used hd 800s and maybe a nice planar or closed back… maybe an audeze would be a good compliment something dark but thats assuming you have a solid state amp

3 Likes

I mean AEON Flow Opens Work fine on my amp (doesn’t need the full power of the amp to get to ear hurting volumes). Idk, the AEONs are 19 Ohm but idk maybe they’re really sensitive? Idk how many Planars would work with my Amp though. Might Buy the HD800 and maybe a SS in the 1300 range?

I still technically need to finish the amp, but it functions at this moment and just needs the finishing touches. Might finish it today though, idk.

Oh also the AEONs are being used in the 30 Ohm output, if I use 6528 tubes, it’ll go lower than that to around 16 Ohm.

1 Like

If you plan on using the tube amp, maybe ZMF Verite? Or you could buy a ZMF Aeolus and a pair of Neumann NDH 20 if you want a good closed back and open back combo that are good on tubes.

2 Likes

Yeah you kinda read my mind honestly since that was another option I was REALLY rolling around since they both are High Impedance and I’d imagine would work amazingly with my amp, especially If I use 6AS7 (Also I own a Pair of GEC 6AS7 which I’m told are some of the best of that type, raises the Output Impedance to 60 Ohm though but I’d imagine that isn’t an issue for these headphones).

I mean on one hand I’ve always wanted to try out the HD800 Classics on a Tube since I’ve been told that’s how they shine their best.

BUT

On The Other Hand I also always wanted something from ZMF as well for my Tube. Either way I can also afford a pair of NDH20s as a side to either choice.

2 Likes

I get that. It depends on your personal preferences as well. Some find the HD800 unnatural sounding due to it’s over-exagerated sound stage and bright treble (I’m one of them). Also, a lot of people believe the ZMF Atticus and Aeolus are the best ZMFs on tubes. Just food for thought.

2 Likes

I mean to be fair I’ll be doing the Dupont mod on the HD800 for that (I’d imagine a 6 kHz Spike would be kinda unpleasant).

The Aeolus Tho is tempting me, especially on a Tube Amp.

2 Likes

Hmm maybe I can get both the HD800 and Aeolus, maybe I can have two cakes, and eat them too.

1 Like

That would be cool, they both preform well on a tube and would serve different purposes

I personally wouldn’t suggest a planar and go for tube performance here

2 Likes

Yeah I mean, I think my amp CAN handle Planars to an extent since it was able to push AEON Flows without any issue (Specifically when using the right tubes like 6528 or 5998 pairs), but I’d imagine that High Impedance Dynamic Headphones would be a much better match up in this case since I won’t be as limited tube rolling wise since I don’t have to worry as much about impedance matching via Tube Transconductance. Besides it’s an OTL, I’d imagine it’d appreciate the Higher Impedance Cans.

1 Like

So what do you listen to again?

2 Likes

Uhh kinda mixed tbh, Mostly Rock/Prog Rock I guess but anything goes, been listening to some 8-Bit/16-Bit Video-game OSTs recently (Earthbound OST atm), but my tastes are pretty varied.

Listened to the Off The Wall Album Yesterday and Rage Against The Machine before that, so it kinda depends.

1 Like

If I was looking at investing $1-2k in an over ear then

https://www.hedd.audio/en/heddphone/

Would be at the top of my list.

2 Likes

I mean the Impedance is in range if I were to use 5998s or 6528s with my amp, and it can push quite a bit of power regardless, but I have no idea if they’ll mix well since it’s a Planar on an OTL and it costs quite a bit. Rather play it safe and get something that pairs the best with the design of the amp until I can get more testing done on the amp to see what it’s limits are.

Also It’s still not “Done” but it works, just needs some finishing touches.

1 Like

Personally I wouldn’t go for this, especially on a tube. I’ve tried it on a friend’s otl and it was meh at best, you really want solid state for this one (pretty sure it was an amp that could switch between triode and ultalinear

3 Likes

Hmmm, so I would say take your budget and get 2 headphones with it, so you are able to get two different types of sound for multiple genre. I think if you wanted something that’s going to be brighter and resolving, the 800 (with mods) or the adx5000 (can be found used in the 1.2 range), would be my more reference picks. For warm thick relaxing fun on a tube I would go for something like the aeolus (my preference is the auteur but idk if that’s in your budget for like a bstock or something)

3 Likes

if you know you want the 800S, then I’d get them. you still have enough $$$ to buy some other really good headphones too. try some eStat’s if you’re open to an experience.

3 Likes

Hmmm @Schizoid perhaps the next project is to build a tube energizer lol? I’ve heard it’s easier since tubes are naturally high voltage

2 Likes