Ultimate imaging headphones for competitive FPS!

It should be fine for the most part . The subs sonic should be enough my motherboard can power it fine. But in loud gunshots it might leak due to proximity anyway

I believe Iā€™ve made a mistake regarding the d10 and ps4 compatibility.

For the DAC to correctly connect to the ps4, the DAC needs optical in.
The d10 only has optical out.

Therefore I have cancelled the d10 and instead will go for the d30 which has optical in.

Ah good catch, I didnā€™t notice the PS4 requirements, my bad

So since Iā€™ve decided on the Magni 3 Heresy, my DAC options come down to:

• Modi 3 (Ā£120)

• Topping d30 (Ā£90)

Both accept optical IN. According to the DAC SINAD measurements, both are very similar.

What would you personally go for out of the two?

D30 all the way imo, the modi just doesnā€™t sound that great from my experience

Make sure you donā€™t get one that says Aimpire, if you do thatā€™s a topping fake that is known to perform worse than advertised

1 Like

Todayā€™s the day boys - Going from my AudioTechnica M50X Setup to the 58x Jubeā€™s on the SybaSonic AMP/DAC.

Iā€™m super pumped about trying out Open Back for the first time in not only gaming, but music as well. This is going to be fucking awesome.

Iā€™ll let yaā€™ll know how it goes in high tier competitive Fortnite and low tier Apex or any other games if needed. Thanks again for all the help. Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but seemed pretty on-topic :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Give yourself time to get use to the 58x. Should be a considerable upgrade vs m50x

Iā€™ve got to say, immediate qualify of life change right here. Holy balls.

I was able to hear exact locations, footsteps clear as day, the awareness of distant gun fights exact pinpoint tracking. Storm sounds were fucking awesome. I feel like Iā€™ve been handicapped for so long. WTF.

First quick replay video of the gameplay with the 58xā€™s on. Going to give them some burn in time, but, Iā€™m absolutely fucking glad I went with the recommedations of the 58xā€™s. Exactly fit my budget, and works very well on the SybaSonic DAC/AMP.

2 Likes

Congrats on your new setup. This thread should definitely be very helpful for other gamers in the future looking to find setups for the hd58x/dt990

My amp doesnā€™t arrive for another few weeks, but Iā€™ll also update here once Iā€™ve got everything set up!

Not trying to harp on it, but I still think the Koss 95x beats dt1990s for competitive gaming every day. They are also lighter and dont require an amp, just a pre and/or a dac.

I really donā€™t know tbh, I think the 95x has better left or right imaging but the 1990 has better staging to me, so I really think it depends on the game imo

You may be right regarding the center image. I will say the 95x does have good separation imo with the sounds it does present. I guess it must be my ears or maybe the dynamic compression lol. Sound tracking is very good on the 1990 though for sure.

I think the separation and dynamic compression do help out the 95x for sure, it can be very helpful or somewhat distracting depending on the game

1 Like

funny enough I use both on the daily so Im very much familiar with both gaming wise

Any update? Iā€™m looking at the DT880 600 OHM, Heresy, and D30 combination as well and I was wondering what your experience was like and if youā€™ve used a mic with this setup?

Any particular reason you decided on the DT990 over DT880?

1 Like

What was your choice at the end? I have dt 1990 pro and hd 58x and i think that 58 x has even better imaging than dt 1990.I can pinpoint footsteps better.I also have ath 700x ,shp 9500 and they are not even close to 58x.

Are you using an amp for the 1990? It should definitely outpace the 58x in competitive

What makes the 600ohm better than the 250ohm for gaming?

880 better detail retrieval once using higher end source gear thanks to its higher ability to scale and synergize. Much better upper mids. Better bass tonality. Tighter imaging placements.

990 refined controlled treble, bass stays out of the way mostly, mids donā€™t sound as recessive, laser accurate imaging, large sound staging bigger than 880.

T1 biggest stage of the beyers, extremely accurate imaging, not as good as 1990 on details but still very good, scales immensely, mids are more full and rounded than 1990, bass is rounded while 1990 is more slam, t1 is more laid back and relaxed while 1990 is very aggressive in your face and analytical. Note this is 2nd gen not first or third

1 Like

So it looks the 1990 only comes in 250 ohms.

With the 990 what makes the 600ohm more desirable than 250ohm?