đŸ”¶ Unique Melody 3D Terminator

My take on these from when I had them a couple months back:

• Horrendous suction/airlock issues regardless of tips
  • some of the most beautiful percussion reproduction going
  • didn’t have the low end to back up its high end so sounded hollow or grating with a lot of rock, some Hendrix tracks unlistenable for example
  • very good texture in low end though, no such thing as “a vague bass note”, you’re going to great variance between the start and end of the note, and hear the drum skin or bass string or whatever made them ripples
  • gorgeous build
  • awful stock cable
  • timbre for days
  • mids/female vocals nothing special

All according to my ears of course (and based on when a correct seal was found after way too much fiddling)

For my ears they were nowhere near an all-rounder due to bass amount. So combined with fit issues, a pass in spite of their select virtues.

DD is my favorite and I respect the design and company, so I had wanted these to work out better for me than they did.

4 Likes

Some tracks I enjoy specifically on the 3DT

2 Likes

Couldn’t hold off anymore so just ordered a set - intrigued by the triple DD configuration in these and looking forward to hear how they handle the metal in my library.

1 Like

Your not worried about she’ll size ? I am curious when you get it how large it is. I had no problems with fit on the ISN 40 or the Dusk.

No, not worried - unless they don’t fit :cry:. It’s a chance I’ll have to take as I had no way of trying them first. Chunkiest IEMs I have at the moment are UPs (which are fine for me) so hoping they are similar to these :crossed_fingers:.

Edit: @Resolution as you have both, when you have a moment could you give me a steer on how the shell sizes compare between the UP and 3DT?

1 Like

Anyone can compare the UM 3DT with the ISN H40 and 7hz Timeless.
Expecially for progressive metal/rock.

Would the 3DT be an upgrade vs the others?
Thanks

The Up shells are (I believe) identical to the Thieaudio Oracle and Excalibur. Very comfy.

The 3DT shells are large and a bit wonky. Don’t even attempt them if you don’t have larger ears.

1 Like

Thanks, good to know. I think my ears are large-ish - guess I’ll only find out when they arrive :man_shrugging: .

1 Like

I’m interested in getting one. It seems to hit my preference curve pretty much with tanchjim filter on. But there are some cons that people put in every review that’s holding me off.

Do any of you guys feel the driver flex and the lack of sub-bass extension are really bothersome? I love hearing my drum kick hitting its apex and electronic music going to the last octave giving me all the oomph and eardrum ‘tickles’.

This song has a lot of sub-bass ‘air’ so if some owner can check this out and confirm the lack of oomph I’d appreciate it a lot.

Also, any recommendation for IEMs at this price range without those cons is welcome.

Can not confirm a lack of oomph
 there is a lot of force on those low hits. The 3DT doesn’t have a elevated sub bass compared to the Moondrop Variations, but it has fine extension and force

There is driver flex, but it doesn’t bother me, your tolerance may be less. Honestly if I avoided all IEMs that had flex when putting in the IEM I would have a much smaller collection.

The biggest flaw to be aware of is the size of the 3DT it is very large so it will not fit everyone.

3 Likes

This seems to be the most level headed and fair take. I’ve talked with a couple people who have owned these because I love DD and was interested in these, general consensus seems to be most in line with your points. It’s a good iem, just not great. Treble end is too peaky in some places, vocals could be better and the treble range isn’t even extended that for an iem of this price bracket. It was a cool take on a multi DD concept, but has its issues. Would love to see more iems like this though. Or like that na2+ (single dd but multi cavity).

3DT kicks like a mule, but Variations might be better suited for this kind of sub bass focused library.

3 Likes

They’ve arrived (still can’t believe they got here so quickly). Only had a chance to check the shells fit me ok - they do :+1: - but need to do some tip rolling I think and have a proper listen.

6 Likes

Bouncing between tips - 2nd largest stock ones or med cp100s do the trick. I think the cp100s work better for me as they seem to tame the treble slightly. These things are chunky and stick out a bit but that doesn’t seem to affect that they are plenty comfortable for me. Damn, these things are energetic - for me not really suited to listen to whilst working - bear in mind I was listening to the UPs before jumping on these, so brain also needs time to burn in.

@Resolution @TkSilver what cables are you guys using with these? Tried a couple of cables (Xinhs and a KBear one lying around) which are fine but the pins are slightly longer than the oem cable, so they leave a small gap between the connector housing and the shell. (It’s triggering my OCD a bit :blush: .)

Edit: nevermind, new Xinhs graphene arrived and fits nice and flush. Phew, now I can listen to these properly :laughing:

These are on sale at:

Before I let the pressure of a sale make this decision for me, should I be worried about the 1-3k given the screechy nature of timeless to me?

@Resolution any thoughts?

Anyone have these graphed against bggar target or harman? I see precog above.

I was going to say I am using a xinhs 2 core white currently, but I have a custom Dunu Lyre 2 pin modular cable in the mail. The xinhs is flush.

@Dynamic
That is what I got mine for. $319

As far as the 1-3k goes it doesn’t bother me, but if you find the timeless screechy then this is not going to be better for you unless you do a mod for it. I am a bit of a treble-head as long as it is not BA (or at least not knowles BA), so both sets are fine to me. I even use a treble enhancing tip on the 3DT. Also the profit target is there because it was the only squig link FR graph I could find for the 3DT.

2 Likes

I adapt to the shouty, but I really want to find something where my brain doesn’t need to adapt.

Gonna hold off on 3DT for now.

1 Like

Yea subtle is not a word I would use to describe the treble response for the 3DT so probably a good call.

1 Like

Gratiutuos photo, 'cos why not

2 Likes

That’s what I’m using.

I’m slowly replacing all cables for most of my IEMs in my collection with graphene cables. My latest XIHNS order

3 Likes