(update in progress) Falenkor's Competitive Headphone Write Up. Now with added Hardware explanations!

yeah, that’s one of the issues with those headphones is that they have inaccuracies. You should be fine switching over to a beyer in terms of imaging. DT 880 would be fine as well in this regard. Tygr as well if you don’t like brightness

then yeah, go with one of the three beyers… tygr(warm), 880(bright-midcentric with some bass tones), 1990(bright neutrality / V signature pad swap)

1 Like

Thanks dude, I will probably go with the 1990’s on Amazon, I can always return if I hate them then

Thank you. That’s a great answer. I will narrow it down to the 560s or 58x.

Is there an amp that I should look for? I was waiting because of the cost of buying a new PS5 and to see what is actually supported. I see the G6 and G3 being recommended. I don’t want fancy, just reliable and portable enough to move between my office and living room.

I agree about the PC38X. I started at it but the overly positive reviews and the fact it kept appearing in random videos about other headphones made me really suspicious that’s it’s just a good gaming headset. I really want a good headphone for music and gaming.

hmm, the G6 is a nice little combo unit that can get the job done and offer some gaming options as well. Not the best for sure but works well enough. Granted nobody is sure on the full extent on how to connect amps and the like to the new gen consoles due to the removal of the optical port… we assume it will need an adapter.

I own it, it’s decent… great for an actual headset… terrible for a pair of headphones. Mine is going back(return policy thankfully)

Thanks! I will take a look at the G6 and pair that with the 560s. I can return both if it’s not a good fit.

Being in Canada really limits some of my options. I don’t really want to import anything because I lose the option to return. Otherwise I would have bought something a while back. The Tygr’s were a top option for me initially, but it’s import only here…well unless you want that damn mic. :joy: It’s almost like Beyerdynamic doesn’t want to sell that headphone.

Thanks again!

Dear Falenkor, thanks for the write up. Do you think the Hifiman Diva and the Mackie MC-450 are any good for competitive FPS gaming? I mainly play Call of Duty multiplayer (regular 6v6 etc not warzone/battle royal) on PS4/PS5/Series X. I prefer headphones with a large soundstage, like a Fidelio X2 perhaps…

hmm, I haven’t sat with this particular model but if it’s anything like the 250 model than a definitely no due to the bass increase as it would be more of a sharper V signature style of sound. The treble was quite a bit much on the 250 as it was and had a rather strange tuning imo. Can’t really say for certain on this one so take that as you will.

As for the Deva, most definitely I think they work well. However, in it’s price tag your contending between a Deva or a Sundara. I personally thought the Sundara was smoother, detailed, and just generally better in sound but for gaming… I liked the Deva more. This is because while Sundara may be nice… it’s heavier than the Deva, brighter than the deva, but it also terminates into duel sided cables meanwhile Deva over there terminates to single ended 3.5mm and has a wireless adapter that can be purchased with it for wireless use or even the v-moda boom pro microphone. The Deva is one of the new headphones that I plan to be adding to this list as I found great enjoyment in using it as well as being one of the few ampless options(less you have a very weak motherboard and the ps4 was a little touchy on it). For the Deva though I think it will depend on the person as much like the Sundara it’s quite bad on the bass quantity… it’s real recessive in the lows whereas upper bass only falls around neutral to my ear… as for the treble… theres a hard dip somewhere in that frequency of which than peaks up rather sharply so it can create some slight sibilance notes if you aren’t able to handle brightness. I wouldn’t say it’s as smooth sounding as the Sundara but it’s a nice close comparison… I think the Deva may be better for the gamer but Sundara better for the music lover but that’s just my opinion considering they are pretty much same pricepoints. As far as deva and soundstage goes? it’s quite large and still has that depth in it and the imaging i would say is slightly above the average… about even with the Sundara honestly so it works well

if I were to complain on the deva… due to the nature of planar magnetic they are harder to drive than expected… no carrying case which was unfortunate… build quality is still meh, unlike sundara no sparkle on the highs. Sundara would be the most “ideal” for sound expectations of the Competitive gamer… Deva I think would fit the more comfortable sound profile of the “all rounder” nature of headphones as it has more roll off if that makes sense. They both have their place. Just be wary of hifiman qc issues

if you mean straight x2, than you’d probably enjoy the Sundara more as it has that wide concert like soundstage but that brightness like the original X2. Deva really doesn’t share this in common as the treble has more roll off… This or the DT 880 for your gaming needs would suit you just fine. Just be sure to have an amp.

yep, I think you will be fine with the amp I just question the Sennheiser being a good fit for you. On the bright side you should be able to figure out what you feel is personally missing if the headphone isn’t a good fit which will steer you in the correct direction of what sound to look for in particular. It’s extremely neutral so personally I feel it’s a great way to really find out what you prefer more.

completely understandable… shipping must be hell to deal with.

yeah, no kidding. I think they are worth a buy but only if you can get them without crazy fees and by themselves. The FOX mic is pretty bad in my opinion it lacks clarity and accurate reproduction of vocals adding quite a lot of warmth and depth to your voice when using it… i’ve had comments on that mic being worse than some of my gaming headset microphones even. It’s usable and has a built in preamp for the headphone which is nice but definitely not worth it for vocal quality

Wow thanks for the detailed and quick reply :slight_smile:
I plan on getting the Deva then, hope there will be some good black Friday discount :slight_smile:
Being able to use it with the V-moda Boom Pro mic is a huge plus :slight_smile:
Using the Sound BlasterX G6 on PS4 now. Not sure how the amp situation will turn out for next gen consoles…

I would think there will be. Keep your eyes peeled. Use Hifishark, amazon, Ebay, Head-fi, here on hifiguides, and r/avexchange to dig around for best prices… just remember if your buying third party request paypal + invoice, photos of the items condition + placard of their username and todays date this way you make sure your safe on the purchase… and of course lastly request tracking number

oh most definitely, not seen very often of late for good headphones. My only concern so far is that while yes… it’s a bluetooth headphone… when you go wireless you have issues if it’s not a low latency setup. Do keep this in mind when you purchase it that this could lead to potential issues and may require some research. I did not sit with the Deva long enough to verify if this will be a large issue… though direct connections should be just fine. If I recall the “blue mini” just doesn’t properly support the best low latency so this may come as additional for a proper setup of low latency bluetooth.

should be fine for the most part. As for the new consoles they removed the optical port but we have a thread discussing this potential issue already. I believe it came down to the conclusion of just getting an optical adapter to be able to keep using the amp/dacs on the new gen units

I have ordered the Astro HDMI adapter for PS5. Seems there is no similar product with HDMI 2.1 support at the moment… :frowning:

On another note, is the Audeze LCD-2 Classic good for competitive FPS? Thanks again

The Astro one doesn’t have HDMI 2.1 support either IIRC. Or is that what you’re saying?

1 Like

no, signature is dark and bassy. Polar opposite to the signature you’d want.

1 Like

yeah the astro HDMI adapter has no HDMI 2.1 support either. was trying to find other alternatives but there is none so far?

1 Like

Enjoying the DT 1990’s, but wearing glasses with them and the clamping force is getting to me a bit, makes me feel a little vertigo. I have some Dekoni pads coming, they will fit my K712 also if worst comes to worst. But let us say I do return them, what would you recommend also around that level? I did think of HD660s but I am guessing not as good for competitive? I worry about Sundara breaking.

Also would the Dekoni pads help with the imaging on K712s?

I found putting them on a box or something to stretch them helps a lot with the clamping force, was too much for me at first but a few days of storing with them on something made a big difference, generally the solution for most headphones that have clamping force issues.
before i got the 1990s i had tried them, the sundara, and the 660, kept the 1990, sundara while great sounding honestly felt far less premium and the worries about breaking ultimately resulted in me keeping the 1990 in the end. the hd660 is certainly a good alternative, however the pair i tried had even stronger clamping force at first than the dt1990 so stretching them/wearing them in will prob be your best bet

Tonight they don’t feel so bad, I have been putting them on a few books when not in use and it seems to have eased them up a bit. Tomorrow the new pads come too so that should also make things a bit better. Incredible for placing enemies the 1990s. The K712s were good, but these I can pinpoint someone exactly, crazy.

Stretch the headphone over its box for a couple days. Should soften that up

Around k712 or 1990?

Decent but extremely narrow soundstage. Better options.

Unfortunately, no.

Yeah in and around K712 and 1990 price range. These Dekoni pads really make a difference comfort wise, seems not too much lost hearing footsteps.

what games do you play out of curiousity. I have been on other forums helping others out and have been seeing a consistent amount of people getting beyers and having issues placing people in warzone. I played a bit of warzon recently to test it out myself and found myself having a hard time with my beyers but an easier time with my senns and hifimans, I feel like COD’s VSS might be weirdly incompatible with beyers and just trying to get more a]of a sample size to come up with a conclusion. other people can chime in as well if you use beyers and play warzone or not.