(update in progress) Falenkor's Competitive Headphone Write Up. Now with added Hardware explanations!

Hmm if it’s just the brightness causing massive fatigue switch it to the tygr… cheaper and has a more comfortable approach to the ideal sound with having to deal with k712 imaging issues.

Clamping force too. I gave it a good 4 or 5 days on a box, and though it did ease off, it still made me feel vertigo or unable to focus. Maybe it’s wearing glasses with them. My k712s are far more comfortable in that regard.

Ah yes, makes sense… tygr and t1.2 have much less on that clamp so may be better for you… even better if you swap to say dekoni velour as instead of harsh clamp it’s a big thick pillow on the ears

1 Like

I got those very pads, still felt like it was crushing my head. I may give either the Tygrs or Sundaras a shot

Tygr as fussy as hell on the pads… velours alright, had best results out of fenestrated shockingly.

Rather surprising and unfortunate. Sundara are nice, I just hate how lite the bass is.

So if I were to get the liquid spark amp what dac would be best to pair it with?

Also brightness aside which one out of the 880, 990, and tygr do you prefer for competitive?

Thanks

most work fine, I prefer the Topping D10 as its a bit on the warmer side like the spark. Spark also has it’s own dedicated dac, which is another thing I plan to update on the guide as far as information. Just don’t forget you will need some rca cables to hook up the amp to the dac.

tygr if your not a fan of brightness as it has the best soundstage and imaging. DT 990 if you have an equalizer to dial in the bass a little bit or are alright with a bit of thump being in the way as the 990s have great capabilities in placements in an fps, 880 as the tried and true balanced approach smallest of the 3 for soundstage not as good imaging but still perfectly passable(note these are rather negligible all considering) bright but not overbearing.

as for which I prefer? any of the three, there wouldn’t be specifically one I would pick. If I wanted to get super technical brightness aside it would be between 880 and 990… which 880 would win considering it doesn’t have the bass issue

Thanks for the detailed response.

Also was reading other posts on the subject and seen it recommended to go with a better amp if possible because it improves the quality. How much of bump in quality in gaming would you get? I seen the asgard 3 mentioned as a step up from the liquid spark in your opinion is this worth looking into?

Depends on the game and you as a person. Its quality of sound so not particularly necessary at all. As far as how much, depends on the compared units and which ones…

The difference in the spark and asgard 3 is quite significant. Detail retrieval, cleaner and crisp, definitely more spacious in sound, better bass impact, still having some warmth to the lows and roll off in the treble, colored in sound(can be a negative). None of this is needed to achieve your gaming goals but it does make casual gaming or music quite a bit more enjoyable.

Generally for a gamer I wouldn’t recommend higher than $250 per unit not including the headphone(up to $500 for headphone). Though that’s absolute overkill maximum

@Falenkor Thanks for the recommendation. I just got it today and I have work tomorrow so I can’t game much, but I am really enjoying it. The sound isolation isn’t perfect, but it is much better than the open-backs. I got some Dekoni choice leathers on the way so I am hoping that will improve the sound isolation somewhat.

Going from the omnidirectional mic on the MH752 to the unidirectional ModMic Uni definitely helped too. I have some friends I need to xbox party chat with and the lack of me being able to set a sound threshold was making them go crazy at times.

Also got a new mousepad to replace my worn Steelseries Qck+ Limited.

1 Like

Those will do just fine. Also should increase the soundstage.

Sounds good man, glad I could help out.

1 Like

Thought I would post some initial impressions of the Tygrs having recently used DT 1990 and K712. I love them, the clamp is around the pressure of the K712 so I don’t feel vertigo like I did with the 1990’s, pads are soft they seem to sit nicely on my head. The sound is far better than I expected for the 120gbp I paid for them, little more detailed and more bass than the K712s. As for soundstage and imaging, blown away, Apex and PUBG I could pinpoint exactly where a car was going past in the distance, or where a shot came from and I could pick out footsteps from the noise easy also.

I think from the reviews I saw, the word I heard most was fun, and they are exactly that outside of games too, really colourful, you hear everything not quite in 1990 detail, but still very detailed, you have plenty of bass for music but its not too much that it dampens sounds you need to hear in FPS. Honestly I am blown away by them, if only they had a detachable cable, or if the included cable was even long enough, it is rather short.

1 Like

Is pc38x good for immersive single player, indie games with good ost
And does it fit my likeness?

Terms described me; Bass; Punchy(not overwhelming or too much) not bloat if possible

Mid; I prefer smooth and detailed can be boxy if necessary

Treble(I’m treble sensitive. I even hear that annoying “sh” vocal in shure440 or 840 I don’t remeber); relaxed and recessed
Never be harsh or fatigue

But this is weird I like grado sr80e so much when I was testing it but I don’t if it a bright headphone or not
To conclude, the treble of grado sr80e is my prefer

If it isn’t then 58x or mh751
And could you recommend other headphone rather than x2hr for immersive single player, indie games with good ost due to the distortion
Under 150 bucks pls
And what will you describe my sound signature

eh, it’s decent. I wouldn’t really call it anything truly spectacular but it’s alright. Reviewers honestly shill the absolute hell out of it like something totally amazing when it’s really not it’s just pretty much the best gaming headset but if you face it against something like the DT 880 it loses hands down in my opinion like… in every category. It’s by no means musical or very detailed and the seperation is pretty bad. It’s a bright gaming headset with good stage and imaging but overall sound quality is rather poor in my opinion, especially for a sennheiser.

about neutral on the bass with some impact but I wouldn’t call it very punchy.

it’s treble raised and a bit on the grainier side in my opinion so may not work for you.

would definitely take the 58x over the pc38x any day of the week.

hmm, in that price range… it’d be hard to get a good general recommendation less your buying used. Would recommend you save up a bit in that regard at the very least to $200. Otherwise just keep the x2hr for the time being, as they aren’t bad by any means.

Sounds like you prefer one of three signatures just depending on hte headphone. Warm, Dark and Bassy, or a form of Balanced catering on neutral. Warm signatures are rather harder to come by it seems and good ones don’t come into play till much higher price brackets however x2hr is one of those warm signatures… if you want another warm signature but much more intimate soundstage… meze are nice but are more musical than gamer. Tygrs would be the step up from the x2hr. I could recommend quite a bit it’s just at $150 well… to put it blunt your options are heavily limited… Tygr300r is like $169 right now though due to black friday so I would say consider that, the 58x Jubilee would be a nice go to for the balanced signature, and if you can find one Nighthawk Carbon is a gorgeous dark and bassy headphone you can find them at $200

I think I will spend most of my next day off working on the update to this… finally got my personal ordeals resolved so I want to get this fixed up more… theres a lot of editing to do. Deva, pc38x, DT 990(once I finish the modification testing), HarmonicDyne Zeus if I get it and it fits here, among others are also being added so expect more to this listing as well as ratings and price seperation to help out. Trying to rewrite it so it’s a quick read as well… as it’s rather lengthy… had quite a few messages revolving this page… so I would like to update it as much as potentially possible. If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out and ask me or one of the other forum members.

if you guys feel something could be added such as particular headphones that fit the criteria let me know, I will go out and check the piece of gear out myself noting that anything above the $500 margin for headphones is really completely unnecessary for a gamer.

Something I don’t think people realize yet is that quite honestly, hifiman and beyerdynamic lead the charge in terms of most ideal headphones for the competitive gamer. There are a few exceptions such as the jack of all trades shure and sennheisers, nighthawk carbon works well despite being dark, harmonicdyne helios is rather a newer company creation, and even audeze has a few bright headphones… none the less… I find it hard to remotely find a headphone that can best something such as the DT 880 more so considering price points

Are 1990 pro the best for competitive gaming ? How much better are they from pc37x/pc38x and how do they compare to hd800s which i have heard are the best

headphones above the $500 margin are more for musicality rather than gaming. 1990 in this regard is great due to its versatility to have two signatures(due to having two sets of pads) but also incredibly accurate imaging, very large soundstage, and maintaining that brighter sound. Overall it’s very detailed and clean yet quite analytical with fantastic seperation.

I keep getting asked this so for future reference I will start copying this response. PC37x is a decent entry level -headset- that by no means stands up to most of the headphones in terms of musicality and gaming. It is good for what it is and is a fantastic gaming headset… at the same time it’s not best for casual gaming because of it’s tuning and is quite bass lite. As for the pc38x, it is closer to being a clone of the GSP500 from sennheiser without the bass issue, the soundstage is slightly above the average and it has good imaging… but that is all it has going for it. It lacks detail, soundstage is prioritized to left right and center so it struggles at diagonals above and below for sound placement, seperation, is grainy and in some cases slightly sibilant on some songs or bullet whizzing down a hall, neutral bass, rather boring, decent mids. By classification I would rate the 38x as the -best gaming headset in it’s price margin- but the moment you hit the $200 and above margin of the gaming brand variety it loses to the tygr 300r and mmx300.

Something to note here, there is no “best” at anything. There is something that’s better than another in certain categories but even this can be deemed a very subjective opinionated statement from another person. We all hear sound very differently. However, if you mean in the most ideal sense is the HD800S better than the DT 1990? Yes, it is… however it’s brighter and can be too bright, lacking in comfort due to it’s design, among other issues. There is zero reason to pay over $500 for a gaming peripheral let alone something such as the HD800S which costs over a grand… these are for music less you got a lot of money to throw away however, if you didn’t have a high grade amp and dac setup at least in the $500 per unit going for you… I would probably tell you to start upgrading first before going to the $1k price range headphones. As for the DT 1990, this is the absolute top all maximum… it’s absolute overkill in terms of competitive… as far as looking at strictly competition… 1990 wins on imaging and hd800s wins on a bit more relaxed larger soundstage. If you wanted something very similar to the HD800S but not lighting your wallet on fire… you can go buy the T1 2nd generation just be sure to have a beefy amp as that headphone is 600 ohms and scales exceptionally well.

In the event that someone is still using gaming headsets, I cannot stress this enough… there is no reason to jump to $1k headphones… there is no end game or “best” or “top tier” whatever you want to label it… price does not dictate better nor does what a reviewer says as a lot of these products(especially the 38x right now seriously…) get shilled big time despite not being all that great in all honesty. Start out low from the headsets… $200 headphones are a sweet spot for many a gamer and can easily be a potential end game as something such as for example the DT 880 works perfectly… 1990 and T1 have more soundstage and are more musical in the sense so it boils on preference from there much like some prefer the Sundara over the beyers

Hope that helps? I wouldn’t recommend going to an hd800s less you already had a pretty killer setup… but there is a ton of alternatives that work just as well is the issue there… I personally really liked the hd800s but I wouldn’t bother buying it just for gaming explicitly. If you have any more questions feel free to let me know.

1 Like

seems that 1990 is a better choice to me and i wont be buying just for gaming. Gaming is a plus tho and if i get an edge in competitive ,its always good

sounds good, in terms of music though it will boil down more if you can tolerate brightness. If that’s what your looking for though is a brighter headphone yeah, 1990 are a very good headphone. T1.2 is nice as well and is the alternative there with the more relaxed signature and if your aren’t a fan of bass you can always look more into something such as the Sundara or Ananda.

i will eventually buy like an ananda or arya for more relaxed music as well and i could always eq if i find it too bright