Upgrade advice: Fiio K7 or Topping E50/L50 stack?

Hi,

Ever since my gen 1 I’ve been using my computer to power my headphones which hos not been great.

I was just about to pull the trigger on Fiio K7 but I keep wondering if I should pay the little extra and get the Topping E50/L50 stack?

Probably the hardest headphone i have to drive are Fostex T50RP.

I know SMSL made some good products but I want physical buttons/switches on the unit.

What do people think?

2 Likes

Provided that the Fiio K7 supplies 2 watts of power to both Single ended and Balanced connections, I would say go for the K7. The total cost of the Topping E50 + L50 and the interconnects needed to connect them would then leave you with the same question. Should I spend a little more and get x amp/DAC? If the Fiio K7’s MSRP is your target budget then it will serve you well (make sure to double check the power for single ended though). If you are coming from onboard audio then nearly anything would be an upgrade. My first step into an external solution was via the Schiit Audio Asgard 3 paired with a Modi DAC, and that made a huge difference. If you have access to Schiit Audio products in your market then they would be another manufacturer to take a look at for something in the ballpark of $200 to $300. Their Magni Amp would also power your Fostex headphones well, and you can pair it with their Modi DAC. You will need RCA cables to connect them through. Good luck with your decision, and Happy Listening!
https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-plus
https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-plus

1 Like

The K7 has nearly the same amount of power as the Schiit Magni. The Modi+ / Magni+ setup runs about $230 and is only single ended. I think the K7 seems like a much better deal, and I don’t think the sound is different enough to tell much difference.

1 Like

The other comparable DAC/Amp for the Fiio K7 is probably the Topping DX3+, which is just a tiny bit less power, but has a remote and Bluetooth.

I know two people that used a JDS Element II with the Fostex T50RP, which only output 1400mW, vs 1800 on the Element III, 2000 on the K7, 1800 and the DX3+, and 2400mW on the Magni+.