Upgrade from akg 712 pro

Looking to upgrade from my k712…I would like more bass and better/clearer midrange. I think I want better imaging but I do like how the soundstage is on the k712 so something close or a little wider. Budget is <$800 usd. I use atom amp and darkvoice so something tube friendly would be nice. I can upgrade amps in the future too if I need more power. Also, I have heard good things about ZMF headphones so would it be worth it just to save more and wait? How much better would zmf be compared to the headphones in my budget range?

1 Like

The Beyerdynamic DT1990 have excellent imaging and soundstage, and IMO more than enought bass (waay more that my old K701 anyway). It’s 250 ohm so it will work well with tubes. No need to upgrade amps and can be had for 450/500.

1 Like

Hmmm I haven’t even heard the 1990 so I can’t say for sure, but as someone who has owned many beyers I’m not necessarily sure that’s what he’s looking for. Didn’t even mention treble, just seems to want a general upgrwwith more bass and midrange.

I think it would be an upgrade but I would also be concerned about the lack of bass as imo it has less than the k712 with the analytical pads

1 Like

Last I checked, Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic were different companies :wink:

2 Likes

You missed the merger?

4 Likes

Would a used Fostex TH-X00 or an E-mu Teak be an option here? Oe perhaps Sennheiser 6xx or Audio-Technica R70x?

1 Like

The 6xx or r70x wouldn’t be my picks for this situation because imo they have a reduced amount of bass to the 712 pro and also aren’t as wide as the 712. The x00 or teak would be good picks, but they would be fairly narrow in comparison which wouldn’t be ideal for what @Bmn1251 would prefer from his initial post

2 Likes

Gotcha okay.
I can’t think of much else off the top of my head lol.
It’s up to you and others to figure out. :smile:

1 Like

how bout the dt 117x go? or whatever it was called, just came up the top of my head from the reccomendations for fun bassy cans

I mean I kinda agree with @Davidibiza that the 1990 pro would be pretty nice, the auteur would also be pretty dang sweet too but there is a larger price jump there lol

2 Likes

How are the bass on these?
Ananda
Focal Elex
AD2000X
HD660S
Aeon Open-X
ZMF Aeolus
Verum one

1 Like

So the bass is nice on the ananda, but for what you are looking for, I would instead recommend the edition xx or edition x v2, as that will have more bass and be tuned a bit different (ananda is more neutral bright). The only concern with the planars is that it will not work well off the darkvoice

The elex does sound up your alley, but again this one doesn’t sound great of tubes either. The bass is slightly bumped on the elex, and pretty well done. It might be a bit initially more intimate, but it has good range where it can sound wide if the music calls for it.

The ad2000x is pretty dang bright and bass light, also pretty intimate, not exactly what you are looking for I assume

The 660s has pretty good bass, warmer headphone, somewhat intimate though, but does work well off a tube as well

The open x is fairly neutral and midrange width, pretty nice can, but I don’t think it would have the bass you are looking for, and also doesn’t work well off of a tube

The aeolus is pretty smooth with pretty enjoyable bass, decent width, and works very well off a tube. The reason I recced the auteur instead is that the bass is better done with more detail and more impact, it’s just something I prefer over the aeolus bass. The rest of the headphone is an upgrade from the aeolus as well imo

The verum 1 is v shaped and has pretty great bass, good width at times (more depth than pure width though), but also doesn’t sound great off a tube

Overall for what you prefer and not changing your budget (and making them sound good on a tube), I would say the 1990 and aeolus would be my picks

If you could drop the tube requirement, I think the elex, edition xx (or used edition x v2) would also want to be considered

2 Likes

Thanks for the info…I’m considering just to keep saving and get the ZMF you recommend.

Oh gosh… Must be all the alcohol from the lockdown…

2 Likes

Also…what would be a good closed back option

@Jose_G mentioned the 177x, that would be a good pick. I think the aeon 2 closed would also be pretty nice (although neither of these preform well on a tube)

The zmf eikon is awesome (close to the auteur) or the atticus (close to the aeolus), would be my higher end picks for what you are looking for

1 Like

Amiron Home ? - just a sugesstion, headphones are not my expertise but occasionally I try some.
They sound like 1990 but more bass and they like clean tubes but I can imagine them sounding muddy in the midrange with a very warm tubeamp … but getting some nice russian tube for tube rolling should help

1 Like

I vote Aeolus. You can find them used for about 900 or as b-stock from the ZMF site

2 Likes

I’m also curious to hear thoughts on the Amiron home, it’s price roughly the same as Elex. Does it compete in its price bracket?

1 Like