Upgrade over my DT1990 for classical and kpop

Hey,
I’m getting more interested in getting a headphone upgrade.
Since I want an upgrade and not just a sidegrade, my budget is around 1500€.

I mostly listen to Kpop, sometimes Jpop and a lot of classical music.
My amp is the Topping A30 Pro.

I couldn’t test any headphones in that price range so far but after reading and watching many reviews my favourites are:

HD800s (mainly because of soundstage, timbre and detail retrieval), LCD-X,
and Hedd Heddphone (but that’s almost too expensive).

And no, I don’t consider the Hifiman Arya. It’s too expensive and I probably won’t like the treble and timbre.

So which one would be a good upgrade over my DT1990? Any other suggestions?

The Focal Clears. they will do magic to Classical, not sure about Kpop as I’ve never listened to it before.

But they don’t have wide soundstage like HD800S are known for. And that’s one of the big downsides of my dt1990 as well.
So I don’t know if the clears are that much of an upgrade.
And is there a big improvement in the clear MG? The normal clears are about 980€ and the clear mg 1500€

Hello! Im in the same boat with you, i have a30pro with 1990, im too looking for real step up from 1990. Yesterday i received Hifiman edition xs, currently in burn in period, something is better than on 1990, and something not, i can’t make decision right now, soundstage is much bigger on Edition XS than on 1990, they provide much more layers in sound depth and width, but midrange now is a little bit lacking. So im too looking for real big jump from 1990, edition xs looks like step up, but not big.

p.s. After listen them a little bit, i think i will sell 1990, can’t switch back to 1990 after XS:))

I’ve tried the Audeze LCD X in store and I would say it is an upgrade in everything except maybe the soundstage width. The soundstage remains pretty close an intimate which seems to be something that you don’t want.

that’s true, but for classical music, imaging is more important than soundstage. I’m not saying it isn’t important, but rather if I can’t have good balance of both, then I would go for imaging over it.

1 Like

really? I thinj dt is better

I don’t believe you’ve listened to either. Please don’t revive a four month dead thread as a provocateur.

I have Aeon Noires now and they’re really good for just about everything. The tuning felts really help as well

@Roberto_Enther

Well have ya?

How? I can do it perfectly well, my friend. Just because you disagree doesn’t prohibit me from doing it.

Yes of course.

The xs is more fun than the Sundara but it’s not worth €200? More.
What do you think about that?

On the other hand regarding the EDXS it is for me a step aside.
The scene goes for the EDXS but its sound is even more boring than the dt1990. In addition in separation and cleanliness the dt is for me above the dt.
Add to this that the construction of the dt is a 500€ headphone while the EDXS is a 200€ headphone.
Comfort is good in both.

1 Like

Firstly, I had a Topping A50 and I don’t know if I’d buy a 1,500$ headphone without an amp upgrade. You might be disappointed.
Secondly, you didn’t specify whether you used balanced or analytical pads on the 1990s. I’d assume balanced?
Thirdly, used gear possible?