Upgrading DT1990?

You prefer the ksc75 over 58x?? How come? I might even buy it to get myself some IEMs on the go

1 Like

so i do like every sound signature i’ve heard. except strong v shapes but basically i just found out that i kind of lean towards neutral/bright if i have the chance. i do like warmth ALOT but i basically find myself picking brighter/neutral with forward vocals when i have the chance lol. I didn’t see too big a difference in detail between the 75 and 58x either tbh. now i’m in the same situation where i own the carbon nighthawks and the sundara and both are pretty competitive with eachother but i found myself picking the sundara more since it’s neutral and the vocals are forward enough

so basically, if you find the 1990 too piercing, you might want to find something that is bright but smoother and so on. even if it’s not as good technically as the 1990. but i do know that you don’t mind eq and even physical filters so i don’t necessarily think that’s the right call either. since you should be good in that department.

it does serve the portability purpose of an IEM but it’s form factor is a bit different. like a headphone hovering over your ears

That’s a big can of worms too but Chifi do offer a great sonic bang for buck no question :+1:

2 Likes

I’m trying to optimize my dac right now.
I would like to replace my AuneX1s for a dedicated dac.
Do you think I can get away with something like this?
DACs do sound all the same anyway right??
Would this DAC bottleneck a Focal Clear + RNHP combo?
Or the DT1990 + SP200 combo?

Yes, I would instead grab something like a topping e30 and go from there. You want to get a solid enough dac I what I was saying, I think there isn’t a large difference moving from the 100 dollar known good dacs to the 200 range.

Just to clarify, it would also bottleneck the DT1990+SP200 combo too?
Due to region, Topping prodcuts are not available for me. I have to get it shipped from China, which I try to avoid. What do you think about the SMSL M100? Audible difference to this?
Would the SMSL M100 be similiar to Topping E30?

Can you get a smsl Sanskrit 10th mk2? So all the dacs will make an audible difference, just not as large as the amp will in this budget range, I think in the future you could grab a soekris 1421 or a bifrost 2 dac to upgrade it later on, but that would be after an amp upgrade imo. I haven’t heard the tiny dac you have linked, so I can’t comment on it

DT1990 FR it’s so wrong for gaming, I need to use -10db at 7.9khz and -8db at 15khz to hear footsteps in games. Even for some music, the treble is just unbearable. I liked it so much at first, but I started to doubt my purchase.
And build quality ? I’m always afraid when I’m taking it with one hand that it will split in two, because the cups can move way too much into one another. Also the outer cable, I need to be careful not to touch it by mistake so I wouldn’t rip it off when adjusting position from time to time. I know I need to use two hands, but please stop the praise about build quality.
HD800 ?! I own both and I will say HD800 has greater price/performance ratio than DT1990.
Anyway, I prefer JBL LSR 305 over HD800 or DT1990.

You forgot to say In Your Opinion.

2 Likes

Measurements also show that DT1990 FR is just trash https://www.dropbox.com/s/iygti2oktm185q8/Beyerdynamic%20DT1990%20(Velours%20Earpads)%20(5%20Band%20EQ).pdf?dl=0
Massive peak from 7 to 9khz and very boosted treble above 10khz, even going up to 16db boost at 17khz. Now you know which frequencies give “aggressiveness” to these headphones. With EQ their signature change a lot but is much more enjoyable.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

You forgot to say In your opinion again.

I didn’t made those measurements.

You are interpreting them yourself though, the measurements are just points on a graph, it’s up to the person to interpret if that’s actually a good or bad thing for them

1 Like

Okay guys I got a little further in my planning. I decide that I would like to have a closed back headphone now, so I can take them to the library. So that takes me into a difficult situation. I need a headphone with those characterisitcs: 1. Better technicalities than dt1990 2. Closed back 3. Fairly decent/normal looking 4. Efficient (driving them from phone or laptop), I also can get sth like ifi hip dac 5. carrying case 6. Bigger soundstage than HD58x

Good luck with that.

How about the Elegia? Seems to meet all the criteria and is currently on firesale at Adorama for $429

2 Likes

to be 100% frank with you, i would at this point just recommend an ok iem. you will be going to a quiet library, i assume studying or something, you don’t need the best of the best sound quality. Most people have a phenominal system for home and then something ok for portable. And even those who choose a great portable still have small really portable gear like IEMs for that. I say you would be better off having your great system for home/traveling etc and just get a decent iem for tasks like going to the store, library, school etc because getting something that will be efficient and have better sound than other high end headphones running off the shitty dac/amp of a laptop just dosen’t seem realistic imo (btw not trying to be mean or anything so sorry if it comes across as such)

3 Likes

So I guess this isn’t seriously listening?..like @Jose_G said an iem or at a push the DT 177X GO

1 Like