USB-C desktop DACs

Just curious, what good quality (whatever that means to you) desktop DACs have usb-c input? The only one I can think of that’s just a DAC is the new Schiit Modius. There’s the Hifiman EF400 which is a DAC/amp, and loads of portable stuff which run from the ol Apple dongle to the iFi Gryphon (anything higher end?), but almost all dedicated desktop DACs still use USB-B or even the dreaded micro USB. Anyone think of any others?

Edit: Fiio K3 appears to be a desktop DAC/amp w/ USB C. Any more?

Tempotec Serenade X, USB-A and C

1 Like

Didn’t have both soncoz DAC a USB c input ?

2 Likes

Why not just use a type b to c cable and open a lot more options? At least if your goal is to connect to a pc or phone over type c, you can just get a cable that simply is terminated in what you need there. Wouldn’t be concerned over the reliability over type b, I’d admittedly trust it over c for lasting longer, and dacs don’t really need more than usb 2.0 (or very rarely 3.0) for almost all audio needs. I get why you’d want to avoid micro b, that’s understandable in any case lol

1 Like

No goal here, really, just curious about the landscape.

It’s strange to me that in 2022 there’s been such reluctance to adopt USB-C for desktop DACs, when portable DACs are mostly already there (with some notable exceptions cough cough Mojo 2).

There’s just not much reason to, to be honest. I mean you can, but why? It’s a desktop dac, doesn’t need the form factor nor extra capabilities of c. Also a lot of the nicer cables aren’t really commonly terminated in c either. Ain’t broke don’t fix lol

Cause USB c is harder to terminate so harder for custom cables and nearly all those fancy Cales are USB b :money_mouth_face:

Usb A or B is way stronger terminals less prone to breaking over USBC

Sure but the advantage of USB-C is that if my cable breaks I have twenty more lying around to replace it with (not that I’ve ever had a USB-C cable break on me, though I have seen a couple cheap USB-A cables break in my time). The advantage of having a standard is which cable you should use is never something you have to think about. We’re heading towards a situation where even printers don’t have USB-B anymore, so basically the only people who will need the cable are people who still use these DACs that even at the high end seem kind of antiquated in terms of I/O.

can confirm the Soncoz QXD1 had it, most of FIIO’s old stuff has been refreshed with a type C version and their new stuff has it

1 Like