USB SPDIF converter. Improves sound?

That’s why with cheaper dacs I typically find usb sounding better, I use USB for my high end dacs (or aes/ebu)

I totally agree, but i feel it is a bit cleaner/easier to have a USB line coming out to a converter then handling the rest of the chain then it is to have it coming from the laptop. A USB connection in general is more robust and capable of taking some more force to break or move around then it is for a little tube plugged into a laptop.

Depends on how/where/if re-clocking is done, how much noise coupling the USB power signal introduces.
But I’d imagine most cheap DAC’s are designed to work primarily with USB, so your comparing the Jitter from the USB Chip on the board to the Jitter of the sound card in your PC.

The D10 ought to be pretty good at it, since it’s a reasonably modern chip and it runs entirely off USB power.

Ant…why not buy a cheap / used Mac Mini and dedicate it as your music source? OSX or MacOS as it’s called now, is supposed to be very DAC friendly.

Because Apple is the devil :japanese_goblin:

Or just buy DAC/AMP with network features and stream/send music from any modern device. :slight_smile:
I also use laptop and it’s very handy feature. Send flack or wav’s or direct stream from online. Modern

Guys i appreciate it but you are offering some very expensive solutions

They cost what they cost, either you spend it or you live without the Enog2.
It’s not that good that I’d but a SPDIF converter to use it.
I have a D10 I don’t use, so I’d personally use that for my laptop. Again I personally would not buy additional components to use a $200 DAC, I’d just find something else.

My god you’re right! Polygon has come to shine a light on this whole sordid affair! how could i have been so stupid.

But… was it or was it not your question on how to gain SPDIF on your setup since you currently have no Optical out? The main issue here is either you plan on using/needing Optical for current or future devices. Now if you plan on NEVER needing it then yes all of this was pointless.

Yes thats right! I’m sorry i forgot. its just that Polygon scares me. its hard to think when you’re scared.

not since Jobs died…now they’re just a fool. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, Jobs was not what everyone thought he was. but he was a great product designer. He could really see what people would want. I dont know what it is but a lot of eletronic companies have a lot of trouble figuring that out. To this day they make mistakes. But Jobs could see it well. Now who do they got?

No. He got marketing guys that could take a product and make people want it.

When does a company not have trouble figuring that out?
Pontiac Aztek GT for example…

1 Like

a laughing Mexican!

1 Like