Using the Sound Blaster G6 as DAC with Atom Amp

I currently have a Sound Blaster G6 to run my DT 880s (250ohm), SHP9500s, and (soon to arrive) Vokyl Erupts. I like the device overall, and it’s definitely convenient for switching between console and PC. That said, I want to upgrade a bit for future headphone purchases and am considering a JDS Labs Atom amp. I’m assuming I can still use the G6 as a DAC stacked on a separate amp? Would it be recommended to get the Atom DAC to stack with the amp instead, or will using the G6 as my DAC be just as good? There’s plenty of information out there on each of these devices, but not much on using the G6 as a DAC only, and since the Atom DAC is fairly new, there’s not many (if any) comparisons.

@tglodjo Switch it to the Liquid spark if you can. It pairs better with bright headphones. Yes the G6 can be used as a dac still. It would be more beneficial to have a seperate dedicated dac yes but in that regard probably a topping E30 since you can probably sell the g6 for the same price as the e30

Your comment about switching between console and PC caught my eye. The direct answer to your question is “yes” - the G6 will be a fine DAC for an external amp. If you want to go that route, the Atom amp is your best option in the price range because of your switching needs. Just set your G6 to stereo or headphone mode and use the L/R output to feed one of the Atom’s inputs.

Alternatively, you could get a DAC with mulitple digital inputs and then use any headphone amp you want. This route will be more expensive but also be the higher performing option in terms of sound quality. You could connect your PC to the DAC via USB and your game console to the DAC via coaxial or optical, depending on what output options your console has. @Falenkor’s suggestion of the Topping E30 is a good one. The lowest cost option with multiple digital inputs would be the SMSL M100. I also agree with @Falenkor, my personal recommendation for a ~$100 amp for sound quality reasons would be either the Liquid Spark or the Schiit Magni 3+. However, if you want to use your existing gear and not buy a DAC, Atom amp is still excellent and has 2 inputs.

Thanks for the reply. I currently have the G6 connected to my PS4 through both USB and optical. If I were to pair it with the Atom or Spark, I assume I would need an RCA to 3.5mm (male) cable to connect since the G6 only has line out and line in apart from USB? That way I could simply keep optical connected to the PS4 and switch the USB between that and PC as needed?

OH! I had to look up G6. I thought it was an internal soundcard. Even so, yes, you can still use it with any external amp you want. Yes, get a 3.5mm stereo to RCA y-adapter and use the G6’s line out to feed the headphone amp. I see the G6 is already taking care of switching for you.

Awesome, thanks, @WaveTheory and @Falenkor. I’ve had an offer for a Liquid Spark since I posted my WTB Atom listing on the AVExchange subreddit, so I may take that guy up on it. I also think the G6 may actually look decent stacked on the LS as they share a similar profile.

just some food for thought. I’ve owned and I like the atom it’s a great amp for the price, but i think the liquid spark is a bit more versatile in that it has a pre out. this may or may not apply to your setup but for me the feature is definitely nice to have so you can easily switch between the headphone out and speakers as opposed to atom which has rca outs but has no relay muting so the outputs are always active.

Both amps have a pre-out.

1 Like

oh hmm you’re actually right. I feel like this is an addin feature as when i had one last year i needed a switcher

edit: correction it always had a pre-out but it does not have relay muting. So you need to unplug the headphones to use the pre out

small convenience thing but something i appreciated when i upgraded

So I guess I’m going with the Liquid Spark. Bundled it with a 4XX at a steal and couldn’t say no lol. This hobby is simultaneously great and terrible. RIP my wallet. At least with this level of gear, an investment is never empty since you can usually get a decent percentage back in secondhand sales.

1 Like

Any idea where I can get a good quality RCA male to 3.5mm male that’s short (i.e. 6" or less)? I found this on Amazon, but am wondering if there’s anything better quality and possibly even short like RCA stack cables. https://www.amazon.com/cable-3-5mm-Stereo-Adapter-30S1-01160/dp/B000I963XQ?pf_rd_r=V01FE4G9YPJ31FSYG57K&pf_rd_p=be25f964-4afb-442f-819e-9e628b270a7c&pd_rd_r=46bebb93-82dc-4c9a-8cf5-4041e23114fc&pd_rd_w=wG62x&pd_rd_wg=NS8CV&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

I really liked the idea of using this one with the Atom, but I need RCA for the Liquid Spark. https://jdslabs.com/product/ultra-short-35mm-interconnect-cable/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L1717K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 What I use for rca

Thanks, but I need one end to be 3.5mm male due to how I need to connect it to the G6. I’ve found a few, but most are 1.5-12ft and I’d really like it to be as short as it could be since it’s on my desktop.

Not gonna get really less than 1.5 foot lol thats barily long as it is

Yeah, that’s what I’m starting to accept lol.