Vinyl noob - first shooping list - please review

Good day and hello here

Right now I’m listening with Apple Music (subscription), iPhone and HomePod.

I want to get into the world of vinyl, but I’m not sure if I’m autiophile (even notice the difference in quality).

I was therefore looking for a rack, turntable and speakers for beginners. Did some research, but am a complete beginner and glad forn advice.

I am a big Rammstein fan.

I have a small living room and can not listen too loud, because of neighbors (poor isolation).

I don’t want to spend too much money as I’m not sure if this will become a new hobby of mine or gather dust in the basement.

These are the products I would like to buy, am very open to feedback/suggestions.

The speakers don’t have a power supply, not sure if that will work.

Have I forgotten any accessories etc? Is there anything else I need?

Shopping list (all new, nothing existing yet)

Kind regards and have a nice day

Hi there, and welcome aboard on HFGF.

Also, don’t worry at all about being “audiophile enough”, the snobbery of the community is vastly overstated, most folks in the hobby just really love their music, and just want to hear it playing at a good, engaging, and fun to listen to way. It’s all about the journey, learning what you like and how to get your system to sound good to you.

I know next to nothing about vinyl, but I am learning about the basics of system setup and components. I am not seeing a power amplifier in your shopping list. Typically, passive speakers need a power amplifier, that’s what “passive” means - they play the signal they are given.

The listings for the turntable you mentioned say it has a built in pre-amp. Think of a pre-amp as doing two essential jobs - it gives you a volume knob, and it standardizes the output to interface with a power amplifier in a stable, predictable, repeatable way.

However, the output from a pre-amp is what is a low level signal, and if you feed it directly to a passive speaker, it will be very very quiet. Nearly unlistenable kind of quiet.

An “active” speaker has a power amp built into the box that houses the driver. This power amp is selected specifically as being appropriate in power output for the driver or drivers in the speaker.

So for this shopping list, I would advise either 1: change the speaker selection to an active speaker set, or 2: select a power amplifier to connect between the turntable’s pre-amp output and the passive speakers.

Many “amps” that consumers are familiar with are what’s called an “integrated amp” which means it has both a pre-amp and a power amp built into the same unit. While this does result in having two volume knobs, it really shouldn’t pose a problem - many active speakers in fact also have a pre amp integrated. I mention this so you know that you don’t need to look for only a dedicated power amp, if you decide to keep this speaker selection, an integrated amp would work just fine.

1 Like

A record washing machine is one useful accessory I would strongly recommend buying. Even brand new records can be dirty. Vinyl records in general can quickly gain a lot of static and dirt, but both can be removed by washing them.

There is no necessity of buying some high-end automatic one - manual disc washer does its job fine. Aditionally, it is worth mentioning that instead of buying some special cleaning solution it is far more economical to buy mixture of distilled water and isopropyl that people sell over the internet.

One more protip about cleaning records- filter cleaning mixture something like every 6-7 records.

So hear me out, vinyl gets spendy once you start collecting. Below I’ve link cheap but a very good setup to find out if you will even enjoy the hobby.
The lp60 turntable is a known solid inexpensive starter turntable, that can be a little upgradable to a point. The Logitech speakers will basically hook up to anything and sound good doing it. They won’t be super loud and they simplify things until you are ready to jump down the rabbit hole.
I used this similar setup for almost 2 years but unfortunately I haven’t unboxed my lp60 since I moved.
Good luck with your journey.

1 Like

I love collecting and listening to vinyl and have been doing it for years. As others have said above, there’s a few things missing from your list, and I might have a few other recommendations.

As for the furniture, I think that is up to your aesthetic and how many records you need to shelve. A lot of people go with the Ikea Kallax shelves as they are relatively cheap and can hold a lot of records, but that’s up to personal taste.

As for the sound system itself, you can make it as complicated or simple as you want, but there are a few key components you’ll need. Obviously, you’ll need a turntable first, and your choice of the Denon is a really nice entry level table. That turntable will then need to connect to what is called a phono preamp. This device converts the signal from the vibrations of the record stylus into the normal sound range we’re used to with music. Without this device, the sound will be really weird. A lot of entry level turntables have this device built-in. Looks like the DP-300F does have a switchable phono built-in. Just make sure that it is turned on if you don’t have a separate phono preamp.

Next you have a decision to make. Do you want to go active (powered) speakers or passive speakers? Since you have chosen passive speakers in your list, I’ll assume you want to go with passive speakers. But if you’re OK with active speakers like Swans or Edifier, you can skip these next parts and just plug your speakers directly into the turntable.

Since you are looking at passive speakers, you’ll need to be able to power the speakers and control their volume. For this you’ll need an amplifier and preamplifier or a combo unit called a receiver. Sony has an inexpensive receiver called the Sony STRDH190, but there are a lot of options out there. Really what you’re looking for is any 2-channel receiver since you will be powering two speakers.

As for the speakers, that’s going to come down to personal taste and availability. I’ve not heard of Teufel before, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a good speaker. If you have a chance to listen to them, try them out before you buy.

Hope this all helps. Good luck on your vinyl journey!

Another option is to go second hand. i went this route and could not be happier.
My secret is buying everything off buyee.com, the Japanese’s bidding website,
the Japanese really know how to look after stuff and I’ve bought a hell of a lot off buyee with 1 lemon. and it was advertised as said lemon.Even advertised as junk worked perfectly, but don’t hold me to that for everything.
Second hand turntables go for 100us. i’ve got 2 1970/80’s decks for 50 us a piece and the work perfectly. same spec off-ebay 400us , denon dp-3000…
Just bought a techics sl-1100 for 100us, ebay going for 500-1000Us
now the negative. I live in Thailand and shipping is cheap fro Japan, not sure to the US or Europe

A cheap pair of edifier speaker will treat people better than that set of logictech speakers imo

Probably, Logitech was the first thing that came to mind that was cheap and halfway decent lol.

Honestly being someone that’s started their gaming setup with higher end Logitech speakers. The ln moving to cheap pair of micca rb 42’s that cost me basically the same.amount of money amp included. It really opened my eyes to how bad of a value Logitech speakers are.they have a suggestion of quality due to the subwoofer but I’m every price range a Logitech speakers exists there are better choices.