Walking under high-voltage poles with Tribrids (EST)

Strange occurence:
A few days ago I had a nice sunday hike and was walking under the below high-voltage poles with my Moondrop Variations on streaming from Qobuz. Suddenly I heard some hissing/distortion/crackling/static sound. I suspect the EST drivers are sensitive to high voltage magnetic fields? I’ll doublecheck when I have some spare time.
Maybe one of you guys is interested to check this phenomenon if you live near high-voltage poles and have IEMs with EST drivers?

4 Likes

Were you using a bluetooth DAC/amp? Because bluetooth is often sensitive to any interference.

No all wired, iPhone->HIDIZS DH80S->Moondrop

I can’t say with certainty, but those electret drivers might be more sensitive to it. Typical electrostatic are externally powered, where the electret is pre-charged ( meaning it has a lifespan ), and I am probably no good at explaining it. The fact that it has charge means the field from the power lines might impact the electret power store ( I assume in a small capacitor or something like that ).

I have an electret in the KZ ZEX, and I haven’t noticed this. I live near some high voltage lines, but I was in my apartment building on floor 1 of 3, so the building probably breaks up the EM field interruptions from the power lines.

I have the ZEX too – do you mean to say the technology it has means it has an expiry date of some sort? Not too concerning at the price it is, but worrying for anyone invested in pricey tribrids with electrets? I suppose the lifetime is very long so that it scarcely matters, perhaps?

1 Like

Yes, but I think it is measured in decades, which is why it doesn’t come up.

I wonder how many decades. I know if I ever did have the money to drop on $500+ keepers, I’d truly want them to be keepers. I suppose if they are being used regularly/daily, any form of driver will be sounding a little worn out in 30 years I would presume. I wonder if they have a notable half-life, sounding a bit less strident a decade at a time, or whether they’d just suddenly conk out after staying at full performance until then?

I’m just curious now. Thanks for the answer.

1 Like

I think you nailed it. My old speakers had paper and foam that didn’t age well. Today we do far better on materials, and always seem to creep forward on the technology to create sound. The idea of putting 3-12 sound producing things inside your ears would have been inconceivable not that long ago.

I also have to guess that they can be re-charged or repolarized possibly more like a magnet. The descriptions of the pre-charge are sort of vague. I don’t know what price point makes that worth while, but typically the gear for that type of stuff get cheaper over time. By the time it is an issue, the device to do it will probably be cheap or if nothing else available in a local maker space.

1 Like

By the time they wear out the rest of the IEM might have encountered other issues, especially with QC on certain sets.

There could also be new technologies in future IEMs that you want to get at that point. So upgrading would be the alternative to replacing.

2 Likes