Want to get away from "Gaming" headsets!

You appear to be a Beyer fan, but this is not recommended if @Zel is treble-sensitive. Just saying.

1 Like

And I am assuming all and all any of these would be better than just buying a straight up Sony WH-1000xm3 for gaming? and I do like me some good bass.

At this price for gaming I just think they are hard to beat is all.

1 Like

I have not heard those sonys but I would imagine they wouldnt be the best for gaming Imaging and sounstage wise. For music I’ve heard they have a relaxed sound and would probably sound great.

Pricey and wireless (possible lag problems).

So I think I am going to need to buy two sets of headphones… Cool / not cool… but it is what it is. XM3 for travel and work away from home. And another for work at home and gaming. Right now the Meze 99 Noir with the modi/magni set up might be the way to go (aesthetically pleasing and good for casual gaming while not having the sound leave the headset to annoy others in the house)?

That sounds like a great choice man. Meze 99 noir will be great for relaxed and fun music listening and be perfectly good for casual gaming. Later if you want to be extra sweaty in competitive gaming you can pick up one of the beyers.

1 Like

I don’t know if Beyer Tygr 300Rs (Rrrrrrr :tiger: :eyes: ) are good for gaming but they don’t boost the treble and apparently “sound like speakers”. Open-backs too.

(I believe they’re marketed as gaming headphones).

They are good but primarily for casual in my opinion. Having owned mine for a while enough to develop my opinion on that. In comparison to the dt 880 there is no competition on which is better at fps sound cues. If op wants the best bang for the buck for competitive gaming on beyers lineup I would point at the dt 880(dt 770/990 I immediately say no to due to overwhelming bass and higher/extremely sharp brightness). Casual would be Tygrs. subjectively “best” would be the dt 1990. Granted yes they are brighter headphones and if op has treble sensitivity this could lead to an issue, it’s just that competitive really gets help out of the raised treble on headphones. Could always grab something like a sundara or helios though. Hell even an SHP9500 works just fine.

However, if op wants to pickup a beyer I highly recommend grabbing a liquid spark instead of the other amps due to the fact that spark works very well at dealing with extremely bright headphones. It can mitigate some of that sibilance.

So a dt 880 with the modi/magni combo?

1 Like

dt 880 600 ohms and any beginner amp/dac pair

I would recommend enog 2 + archel 2.5. Any other recommended combo will do for under $200 per box.

DT880 600 ohms for competitive, or Meze 99 Noir for “fun”… I’ll have to think about this for a couple days. I am going to grab a pair of XM3’s for travel and noise canceling while I think on this. :laughing:

Headphones:
DT880 600 ohms (600 ohms or nothing). They’re the one with the least boosted treble.

Headphone amp:
To quell the treble a bit, and for everything to sound more, well, normal, a 100$ Liquid Spark amp would help. Or the 200$ Schiit Asgard 3. Asgard 3 is great because it’s even “Class A”. Audiophiles love this shit. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you get the Schiit Asgard 3, don’t get the 100$ “integrated” DAC module. AFAIK they’re… old modules and they reduce the power of the amp by like 3. New, better modules will come out soon… I hope.

DACs:
As I said, in the 100$-ish region they (apparently) all sound the same. Pick your favorite color and enjoy. Actually if you have a decent sound card, even decent integrated motherboard sound, it can wait. But you might still hear hiss/crackling etc (because interferences).

So don’t get the modi/magni combo? I am really tight on money for the dac/amp and I hear these are really clean and good for starters? (That and I like the clean looks of that stack.)

I just heard you could get better than the modi/magni combo. :man_shrugging:

For 200$ “stacks” there’s also:
The JDS Atom amp + dac combo. But I think my JDS Atom tends to be treble-oriented. I don’t know (yet) if the AKM chipset in the JDS DAC quells the highs). All black plastic.
The SMSL sAp-1 (90$ smooth Class A amp) (Edit: my mistake. Not enough powah!) + SMSL sanskrit 10th mk2. Available in a few colors (black, red and blue for the DAC I think).
Or maybe the good old Topping A30/D30 stack. Or for a bit more, the brand new Topping L30/E30 stack. Available in silver or black. DAC includes a remote.

Look mate, get a schiit asgard 3 (200$) CLICK HERE and don’t wate your money on the 100$ stuff… you need a bit of power for 600ohms… For a dac you have 2 choices, topping e30 (130$) CLICK HERE or if you want a stack that looks good together get the schiit modius (200$) CLICK HERE

so dac+amp = 330$ or for better looks 400$.
for the dt 880 600ohm from thomann its 185$ CLICK HERE

If you read more in the forums here you will find most people agree on this, just do this and no more headaches for you :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks! I will save up some money then. Out of those two dacs which would you say? The modius looks clean but a silver topping e30 wouldn’t look too bad…

both are good and both are using the same chip…both have usb for pc connection and optical for console… modius gives you balanced inputs for future upgrades but you don’t need that for now… the topping e30 ships for free. So see what costs you total for both options. You won’t be wrong with any of them.

1 Like

@Zel If it was my choice I’ll get modius + asgard 3, specially if you are from the US… easier repairs returns warranty and all that stuff and never think of another amp or dac for a long time plus they just look clean.

1 Like

As this being my first purchase on amps and dacs I don’t know much… Getting the asgard 3, should I not add a module on it if I am getting the modius?