Want to get away from "Gaming" headsets!

yes dont add the module…module is a dac but your are getting a seperate dac (modius \ e30)
Also you will need 2 rca cables to connect the stack to each other. The shorter the better, they have a nice 6" rca cable CLICK HERE or you can find on amazon 2-male to 2-male rca.

1 Like

I am a little curious now what headsets you would recommend for this combo. I think I am pretty sold on the DT880 600 ohms but I am still curious.

Yes this combo for the dt880 600ohms.
First decide on the headphone then amp\dac.

As @Falenkor said if you prioritize competitive gaming the dt 880 600ohm is perfect for this price point.

If you think you are hesitant and didn’t buy anything yet and don’t want to spend that much yet before you are sure you can get philips shp9500 its around 75$ only CLICK HERE
its open back and good for gaming and anything really, you don’t need amp and dac with it… Run it from anything even your phone or controller, you will get a feeling of what an open back is and you can gauge what sound signature you would prefer like if you felt the shp9500 harsh or comfortable or lacks bass etc so then you know what headphone you want to upgrade to.

A LOT of people here drive the DT880 600ohms with a Liquid Spark (1 watt) 100$ and it’s more than enough. JDS Atom (100$) and Topping A30 (100$ or less) are also 1 watt. The new topping L30 (130$) is 2.4 watts even.

The SMSL sAp-1 is not a good recommendation though (oops!). Sorry.

Despite what Zeos says, you don’t need a Tesla supercharger to power these.

atom is only 125mw @ 600ohm though same with liquid spark 1 wat @ 50ohm and L30 2.3w @ 32 ohm or i’m missing something?

As I already said, Atom might be too bright. “Nobody” heard the L30, too. So, oh well, for no risks, avoid these.

A lot of people in the DT880 600 ohms thread are happy with their Liquid Spark. Not only does it power these well, it also quells the highs. Obviously if OP wants a more impressive amp, get the Asgard 3, which will also quell the highs… but yeah, it’s twice the price.

Magni 3+ + Topping D10 would be better in my opinion as people have mentioned “glare” from the modi which can lead to issues with a bright headphone I have no experience with the modi so I cannot speak for such.

+1 and can confirm that spark quells highs unlike the others.

well technically all the more $100 range are “starters” and sound fairly clean. It’s just for the amps they bring different characteristics to the table. Atom, Magni, Spark, and in some cases A30 from topping all work just fine. As for the dacs they virtually sound identical which, from my experience, very marginal differences( I noticed it sounded cleaner going from d10 to e30 for example and they are barily different in pricetag).

Hes tight on budget while asgard is good and all I wouldn’t outright say for someone just starting out to pick up an asgard when they are budgeting as is. The $100 stuff isn’t a “waste” they work just fine. Anybody who thinks you need more power than the Liquid spark or other $100 units to power the DT 880 600 ohm is completely out of their mind in my opinion. I own the 600 ohm I own the Atom as well as the Spark they drive it just fine. You stand to gain better sound, detail, spacial recreation, etc from a higher tier amp but the same can be said about most headphones when you change your gear.

I would dig around before randomly picking them up from thomann… I have seen them sell for like $150 or even less… Hell I grabbed a copy of 990 600ohms for $90 cause someone was selling them off.

Modius is a bit of a different monster… It’s a balanced dac and is said to work well at quelling highs sounding familiar to the Bifrost, $600+ dac, compared to the E30 which is just a extremely clean sounding dac really fantastic for its pricepoint.

At this price? The only one that would stand up to the 880 would be Sundara(only if you grab them in open box at $250 from headphone.com over there or other places at that price point0 and HarmonicDyne Helios though you lose on some soundstage in this ones regard. Though, I would say only for competitive… for casual use you have a ton of other choices.

You can find these cheaper even over on amazon. I grabbed a pair for $47 recently on amazons used policy in mint conditioning.

+1

This really did spread some extreme misinformation around it appears. Which is unfortunate. Hell one of my first setups was the 990s in their 600 ohms alongside the spark. Works just fine with power to spare.

It’s in my opinion one of the better of the “hits above pricepoint” amps. still quelling highs, better spatials, better detail retrieval, sounds cleaner than the spark, sounds a bit more open to my experience as well. Not bad at all but if your budgeting not particularly necessary

1 Like

You talking about the HarmonicDyne Helios here? I’ve been trying to find dt 880s or sundaras at reasonable prices but no luck so far. Checked out the Helios but wasn’t sure they would be good gaming cans.

This is the cheapest one I found the DT-880 600ohms at. Thomann

Also talking to multiple people, sites and doing hours of research for a good setup, I finally decided to go with the magni heresy/modi stack and the DT-880 600ohms. Just to dip my toes in the water and not focus on spending so much money. Schiit audio is close, heard multiple good things about DT-880 600 ohms. They are all ordered and on the way! :grin:

Thanks for the help peeps!

2 Likes

They aren’t bad at all. I would say the other two are better for competitive but I did like the sound of sundara and helios more than 880. Sundaras if your in the usa go to Headphones.com and look for their open box it will be priced at $250 probably the cheapest you will find one. DT 880 dig around but normally the 880 isn’t found super cheap its typically $200 so anything cheaper than that is the usual. Helios you can find for like $125 from time to time, cause some people buy it don’t really like it and sell it lol.