Warm Amp to drive DT1990 Pro

The 1990 cannot be balanced unfortunately though, as it is not internally wired to be balanced

Also with the nano I recall it working just fine with the 1990 but getting to ear splitting levels was hard (if you need it that loud lol)

1 Like

True my bad I forget the headphone he was using.

Balanced or not though it’s a pretty solid unit :+1:

I think I don’t need EARSPLITTING LEVELS hahaha. I think that for my budget and the availability of the Nano that could work. I can always upgrade in the future and use the IFI Nano as a DAC only device. I heard that the DAC on it is pretty good.

Also, do you think it is warm enough to tame that treble? Or a tube would be a better option?

I think it would tame the treble just fine, it’s a smoother amp so that should help. I think if you wanted to get something later on to really smooth it over you would want to pick up a darkvoice 336se

I think with your options the nano makes the most sense imo, it’s a solid unit, I just didn’t know how loud you wanted to go lol

Another option would be buying a Topping DX3 Pro, that way getting the PreOut, Bluetooth input, good DAC, enough power and a DAC Only mode. And later import the liquid spark, since it has a good price and in the end I would spend 200 dollars on the liquid spark.

And if I don’t get bothered by the highs, I might even stay with just the DX3 Pro

That could work just fine, the dx3 pro leans a bit brighter but that would work pretty nice

Sorry for bothering, but I have one more question…
Can you recommend a PreAmp only to pair with the IFI Nano, and power my Monitors?

Hmmm, I think you would want more of a passive volume control. A good one that comes to mind is the schiit sys, or something like the mackie big knob

You can get cheaper ones on amazon though but I don’t know what’s available to you

Ok, that’s what I meant, sorry. Can I buy just any of those cheap ones? or they will mess with the sound?

It depends, I like these if you wanted to get one cheaper

Thanks man! You’re the best, seriously. How can you answer so many questions everywhere?

I decided on the IFI iDSD Nano With the passive control.

1 Like

Nice, hope you enjoy it :+1:

Also IDK I’m bored lol

Not if my soldering iron has anything to say about it. Muahaha. If the 1990 are like T1s in how they’re opened, then balanced could be a relatively quick mod. Not for everyone though since things can be messy if too much heat is applied and something breaks.

Well I was referring without mods lol. I think you would have to change the connector type and rewire them though

True True, also speaking of connectors for the life of me I can’t find a TRRS 3.5mm (not 2.5mm, since I wanted something more rugged) connector anywhere to make a detachable wire. Made my dad’s 770s balanced but had to buy a 4-Pin Plug and Wire and directly solder it to the headphone. Sucks but you could always get a 4-Pin to 6.35mm Adapter.

Hey M0N, I was looking for another option and didn’t want to create another topic.

Do you have any experiences with the Xduoo XD-05 Plus? If so, can you please compare it to the ifi iDSD Nano and Topping DX3 Pro sound and power-wise?

Thanks in advance

The xd05 + has a bunch of power on tap, enough to drive most headphones very well. It’s pretty solid and the battery life is pretty good, would work well with the 1990, I didn’t suggest it though as it’s not really a warm amp, more on the balanced side

So the nano is more smoothed out and relaxed sounding, where the xduoo is a bit more impactful and forward, so different sound signature. I think the xduoo is better in terms of features as well

So personally I would actually prefer the 05 + to the dx3 pro lol, as I think the + just sounds better and is portable with more power. You can also get a wireless module with the xd05 later on too

Not to hijack the thread but I recently got a bunch of trrs 3.5 connectors from aliexpress. I also got one from markertek if you’re in the US.

Funny enough, with you mentioning it, I actually found some on partsconnexion when I called them for one of my orders and happened to ask. Don’t need them atm since I took care of dad’s headphones already and he’s pretty happy with his headphones, especially with the extra power from balanced (He’s quite the Queen fan but a bit hard of hearing now, guess that’s what happens when you’re older).

1 Like