WARNING: Schiit Magni 3 / Modi 3 / Jot are overheating

+1 :+1:

That’s my recommendation too. Don’t throw your schiit stuff away lol, just be careful.

1 Like

When EVGA saved cents on thermal pads and GPUs had their VRM stages spew sparks at high sustained workloads (before killing the Core), that was bad.
That article is… unreasonably harsh. Products fail. Happens to the best companies.
FFS people! Don’t leave electronics running unatended!

4 Likes

To be honest, no one I know ever turns off their AVR or TV “decoder” before leaving or even before going to bed… but that’s the exception. These are built like tanks because they know some people will just power them on and… unplug em in like 5 to 10 years (or 20 lol – AVRs especially).

That’s definitely not the same with headphone amps. And, why leave a headphone amp on? I like my JDS Atom… White, glowing ring when it’s on. Volume down, clicks, power off.

I was concerned as I have a Modi 3. FYI, reading the original reddit post, seems like the op had a typo, and it’s the magni that had issues (saying his amp blew up), which makes the few incidents a little more consistent but still rare.

Am I wrong in assuming that we need to be more watchful of amps than dacs? My modi is usb powered and doesn’t even have a power switch.

1 Like

I was about to say something stupid like “yeah DACs are basically sound cards, just an integrated circuit, plastic and metal, enclosed” but there’s some some huge ass DACs now lol.

Anyway, amps need more power for sure (so, generate more heat, easier, too).

Also, this comment, lol…

2 Likes

I picked up and smelled my Modi as I was reading this. I don’t ever recall my DAC even getting marginally warm for as long as I’ve owned it. Regardless, I’m taking no chances and buying a micro USB on/off switch just in case.

1 Like

Just an FYI…my stack that literally started on fire was a Modi 3 Magni 3. Schiit wouldn’t comment on what caused the malfunction…but if you google Schiit Ground Issues, you will be provided with more than enough case examples of this being a common issue…not sure if it is faulty design or manufacturer deteriorization of materials…needless to say, it was enough for me not to ever consider a Schiit product until something about this issue is rectified.

3 Likes

I read up on those grounding issues too. When I first got it I thought there was something off but it turned out to be a ground loop issue than something having to do with the amp itself. I also did a small experiment where I left the thing on 24/7, and so far nothing wrong happened in that period of time. It was warm, sure, but nothing outside what was expected based on reviews about it. I mean there is a smell of hot plastic or something like that if I get really close to it, but again, it seems to be more of the norm, than the exception.

That’s a bit different, you had a ground loop and that can occur for most amps

1 Like

Right, I should be a little more clear on that hold on-

Welps, you just scared me into buying an SU-8. This is all of your fault! Disregard that I was planning on getting one anyways, but you just convinced me to speed up the process. I hate that even saw this post! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yeah that’s “for your safety”… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

All joking aside, it’s appreciated. We all need to look out for each other in this crazy hobby of ours!

1 Like

We know that the regular Modi 3 doesn’t have a power switch. Maybe a separate power supply with on/off switch. Or disable “fast start up” on windows 10, this disables power via usb when pc shuts down.

1 Like

Schiit has had some quality control issues, for sure.

Just a note about not turning schiit offf !! I currently have a Jotunheim, Asgard 3, and a Magni 3+. All of them are in operation on different systems and plugged into UPS backups. In between these I have smart plugs. If by some chance I forget to turn them off before going to bed or whatever. I can use my cellphone to “log in” and turn them off… Just a little piece of mind and EXTREMELY inexpensive to do.
A point to ponder.

1 Like

Happy schiit user here. The headline is most definitely in the “fake news” category and actually very villanizing towards schiit over a few cases of defective hardware, which happens with every manufacturer btw; google “[any popular product] problems” and you’ll get loads of hits. In all of my experience with schiit products (Modi 2 Uber, Magni 3, Fulla 2, x2 SYS, x2 Modi 3) I have had literally zero issues. All were kept on 24/7. Most relevant is the modi 3; I have two in use that have been on for 24/7 for a year now, and there have been zero issues. I just touched both of them and the feel room temp to me. Plain and simple, those who had issues were most likely defective units.

I’m not a schiit shiil, I’m just a satisfied user of their products, and “articles” like the one in the OP are very misleading and full of misinformation.

This entire thread in one sentence:

Even when I talked about AVRs, and said “no one ever shuts their AVR off”… Personally, everything in this room is plugged into an UPS. When everyone is leaving the house, I power off the UPS. So yes, even my AVR is powered off. I repeat:

And being careful means, turn it off when you’re not using it.

Putting the on-off switch on the back of all their units is really stupid, IMO. Actually, that’s probably the main reason why all these problems happened. People just forgot to turn their stuff off, because you can’t even tell if it’s on or off. Or people not caring. Because, why turn anything off anyway? And suddenly, overheating problems, smoke, fire, etc.

At least the new Heresy got a light to show it’s powered on…

1 Like

I had a Magni 3 give a burning smell when I only partially inserted the headphone plug for a few minutes. Apparently shorts something on the board, smelt like the op amp was what shorted when I opened it up.

I let schiit know as I was kind of pissed about this as it happened to my brand new lcd2c, but it still worked and so did the amp. I ended up selling it the next day. The 789 has short protection for just this occurrence.

Anyone know if they fixed it for the new amps?

That is because TRS-plugs when inserting can short out all three contacts.

There is nothing they can fix, except put current sensing before the amp section.

2 Likes