"Well recorded" music thread

Thought of a couple today. Adrian Belew has some really wonderfully produced solo albums. I would suggest Mr Musichead & Lone Rhinoceros. Also, if it hasn’t been mentioned in this thread yet, the new Tool is well worth looking into.

Just thought of one, Talking Heads Stop Making Sense movie soundtrack. Not only one of the best concert movies, but the remastered and expanded cd sounds amazing.

2 Likes

REM - Automatic For The People,
Any modern Tool albums,
Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts,
Arcade Fire - Reflektor,
The Beatles - White Album (remaster),
King Crimson and Queen have recently remastered their catalogs and it’s worth checking out,
Muse - Origin Of Symmetry,
Any recent Nick Cave stuff,
St. Vincent - Masseduction,
Radiohead - OK Computer (OKNOTOK).

There is also a difference between a good mix and a good master. If the original was recorded well vs if the range of the recording is good.

1 Like
1 Like

Buena Vista Social Club

Cheats - Evo Sessions

Loopless - 2006 a master piece of well recorded music.

1 Like

Another to add.
Steely Dan - Aja

1 Like

For anyone who loves well recorded acoustic guitar stuff (minus the youtube compression, the FLAC I have sounds amazing) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just found this.
A wiki-like dynamic range database. CDs, vinyls, downloads, whatever.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

It’s a wiki. Can you trust it? I don’t know. Still, there’s 142 000+ entries. Really interesting. You can search artists, albums you know… or sort by dynamic range.

On the last page (sorted by dynamic range), I found this. Yeah… You can hear the poor drum kick suffocating because of the compression. Lol.

2 Likes

Radioheads A Moon Shaped Pool is really well recorded and HD tracks has a 48khz 24 bit versions for download. probably services like amazon hd and qobuz

1 Like

Really? I love that album, but I wouldn’t call it well recorded by any stretch of imagination (not referring just to the poor dynamic range).
Spectre is the best recorded song and it’s not even technically part of the album

EDIT: there is a Japanese SHM-CD release of the album, I’m kinda itching to get it, but I’m not sure if it’s even a different mastering.

good kid, m.a.a.d. city

Some of my favorites that come to mind…

Amanda Marshall - Amanda Marshall
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Paul Simon - Graceland
Peter Gabriel - So
Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
Steve Winwood - Back In The High Life
Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.
Zac Brown Band - Uncaged

3 Likes

Anything on the ECM Records label… Mostly Jazz and classical oriented. Some chill Jazz
Owned by the renowned Grammy winning producer Manfred Eicher…

1 Like

Awesome going to look it up. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m subscribed to Warren’s YouTube channel , , ,he’s cool. Rick Beato is really fun to watch too.
The majority of songs that I post up on the Listening to tonight or the Jazz thread here is well recorded music. I find it hard to listen to poorly recorded, overly compressed, loudness war winners and runner ups. Unfortunately, the YouTube versions of the songs I post links to hear dont do them justice.

1 Like

Awesome im always looking for the technical stuff. Now i got another path to go down. Thanks !

Hey my pleasure.
Check out the 2 Special EFX cuts I posted at 117/118 on the Jazz recommendations thread. Recorded on Universal’s GRP label. The musical peaks just jump out of the speakers but not in a loud way.
Also check out my latest posts # 7683/7684 Nils Petter Molvaer and GOGO Penguin on the Listening to tonight thread. Both are excellent recordings. Nils often blows into the trumpet while muting the actual note so you hear his breath more. He often plays through a digital effects suite much like guitar pedals.
Too bad YouTube videos don’t quite do these songs justice but when played on CD , Vinyl or ripped FLAC at home they sound great…
I’ll slowly dig up more well recorded gems as time goes on. Most important thing is dynamic range…Overly compressed ,VU needle pegged music doesn’t breathe. Every note doesn’t have to be recorded loud to get the point across…
Once I find music that I like that is well recorded, I search the record label and the producers other works and usually stumble on more well recorded music that suites my tastes …

1 Like

Far out thanks again . Ive been digging into apples music catalog looking for true well recorded hires music. Both suggestions are lossless. Looks like i got a hit with the gogo penguin stuff. 24/88 hires and digital master. :+1: