What am I doing wrong with my set up / Whats the biggest bottle neck of my set up?

My HT is almost identical to yours, the layout is shifted to the left for the door to swing open. the benefit of room correction is to compensate for less than ideal speaker placement. Is there space to move the desk back toward the bed and place the back channels behind the sofa ?
Did you try placing the back channels all the way to the back of the room? Play with the configuration and run room correction, move speakers around to see if audyssey sends back an ok or error result. If you get back an ok then you can check audysseys settings of level and distance and play tune those settings. Tweak out on it its half the fun!

I have noticed the Audyssey correction is not the “best result”. Tuning and channels, distances and room EQ’s etc. Result’s may vary with 2 measurement in row. Also night mode’s and other mods change settings and sound very much.
I might have 1 or 3 channel errors “suggesting to change or check polarity” and it’s impossible to get XLR wrong. Also the distances are most of times also wrong.

Had much better result’s by not using Audyssey and it just receives audio as it is and making the needed settings elsewhere since i have other options available.
After tuning and measurements. Im using AV in manual mode and only fine tuning, had the best surround experience. Also for minor level boost’s if want more sub or midbase or sharpen speech etc and surround coding changes.

got my height channels turned way up -1.5 to max level and the surrounds around +5.5 and leave the front channels to what the AVR sets the room correction. Ive notice too on the subwoofer inconsistant readings.

2021 onkyo/ pioneers will have dirac live.

Upgrading your TV, that would be the first thing i’d do personally.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-class-6-series-4k-uhd-mini-led-qled-dolby-vision-hdr-roku-smart-tv-65r635/6424216.p?skuId=6424216&irclickid=ztyUkl3hrxyLT1d0EHQlB1XYUkER4NWxRWj41g0&irgwc=1&ref=198&loc=Admitad%20-%201310690&acampID=0&mpid=1310690

then build some DIY absorbers go to get rid of the echo.

Unfortunately I dont have the option to move the desk any further back because that space is just enough for room scale VR on my oculus rift. Im trying my best to maintain as much space as I can while having an optimal surround sound setup (I know, sacrifices have to be made) but im ok with the slight loss in overall quality for the sake of having room for other activities

I got Audyssey to provide pretty consistent results after a bit of fiddling, I just do all 8 passes in the main listening position, a few inches away from eachother for the first 6 and behind where my head would be for the last two. Surprisingly it got the distances dead on correct, apart from the subwoofer of course since theres two. I still cant get it to play nice with the subs yet, it always ends up setting them to -12dB which isn’t enough for music and most movies, but its plenty for some games.
I’m would do more fiddling but im about to get rid of the Polk for either another R-10SW or two R-12SW’s since they’re on sale at costco.

1 Like

That TV looks tremendous and I wish I could upgrade to that but its also tremendously out of my budget unfortunately :frowning:
Im keeping my eye out for some unused but second hand rockwool insulation to make those sound panels because for how much I think I will end up needing it looks like I might need two bales and at this stage I cant spend upwards of $100 just like that

Are you running room correction both subs on ? Try running audyssey one sub at a time until the levels match. Not sure its the proper way but i get the subs within .5 within each other. Im thinking the gain on the subs are kinda of close.then turn both subs on and fine tune the rest of the settings.

UPDATE 1.7?
I’m not gonna call it update 2.0 until I make some significant headway but I thought it was worth mentioning, I did end up going for the side channels at ear level, with the with the audyssey correction it still ended up being too overbearing, the right surround side channel was set to -3dB and the left was at -6dB, so I cranked the left down all the way to -12dB and it sounds a lot more balanced for me, without setting it that low, whenever sound came out of the left surround side channel, it very directional and unnatural, I knew exactly what sounds were coming out of it and when, but now that i’ve set it lower it blends in a lot more naturally.

A huge recent potential development has arised
At costco today I saw the Yamaha TSR-700 on sale for $330 which is 7.2 channel, 8k passthrough, dolby atmos. If I bought this I’d be able to justify the jump to HDR and with its HDCP 2.3 compliance it will simplify a lot of my comparability issues. Not to mention the fact that I’ll finally be able to have real Dolby Atmos which is a huge plus.
The sale only lasts for another 5 days though so I have to be quick about my decision.
I’ll probably make another thread specifically regarding this but I thought I’d add it in here first.
All signs lead to this being a great deal and a well needed upgrade but is there anything I should look out for with this model? Why is this so cheap?
Is it really a good deal?

I tried my best to level match the subs volumes at a good level before running the Audyssey calibration and then running the passes with both subs on, since Audyssey wants me to set the volume/gain adjustment to half on both, I tried to get the best level out of both before running it.
Also I forgot to mention but I haven’t actually had any errors come up at all when running audyssey, I’ve done it 5 times now with different configurations, does this just mean im really lucky or is it actually broken and not recognizing the errors its finding? lol

Try running room correction for each sub seperately think the suggested target is -3 to -6. When the results are close for each sub its set, leave the gain on both subs alone and adjust the level only on the reciever to your liking.

And yes buy the yamaha theyre geat at cheap recievers and yamaha is known for good sound and reliability.

Thanks for the suggestion about the yamaha!

Alright I might do that next, but if it comes to my Polk being replaced sooner than I anticipate I might just wait till I have two matching subs

Ive run mismatch subs just recently went identicle. You can get by with what you have. Get the new receiver run 5.2.2. NeuralX upmixer on non native atmos titles.

If you google or search “Yamaha TSR-700 issues” there are matches.
So that’s maybe why it’s it’s so cheap.

Last years news.

Some video and audio issues.
It’s just my guess and thinking. The yearly 8k receivers do have issues and company’s still try to sell them, the volumes are so massive. They need to sell and some returns are acceptable…
4K/60 side might work with many but with the 2.1 port, things might not be so dandy.

Even being Marantz user and supporter, i would not buy the first gen 8k AV-receivers.
Until the 2.1 issues are fixed with 4/k120hz or 8k. I would and will wait.

Some, even here. Hyped the new 8k receivers while ago and somehow the issues still are there and not fixed. :slight_smile:

In store, on the label and on the box, its actually marked as a 4K receiver, so im thinking they added 8K compatibility with a later firmware update. This actually doesn’t bother me too much, since im years off from moving up to 8K, I just got 4K and not even HDR yet.
So It will mostly be used in 4k60 but I might occasionally hook it up to 1080p120hz since i’ve found others online verifying that it supports that, and heck if it goes up to 144hz I’d do that too

You do what you do.
For me supporting something and actually working (without issues) are two different things. :slight_smile:
Curious to see how things works out.

Onkyo and pioneer are coming out with new receivers that have dirac live in june.

If the T700 can pass 4k 60 atmos, $300 bucks is a bargain.

Also suggest a 4k bluray player that can do atmos (buy renewed). Just got the 2012 4k bluray and so far its the most agressive atmos mix ive heard.