What am I doing wrong with my set up / Whats the biggest bottle neck of my set up?

This is gonna be a long post because I’m gonna try and put in as much relevant information as I can but I’ll try my best to keep it structured and succinct. I’ll start with as much relevant information I can think of before getting to the actual meat of it.

Setup:

TV: 55inch 4k Sceptre LCD

Receiver: Denon AVR X2000 connected as 6.2 channels

Fronts: Klipsch R-14M

Subwoofers: Left-Klipsch R10SW / Right-Polk PSW10

Surround Sides: Velodyne CHTSBV

Surround Backs: Sony SS-B1000

Fronts are on speaker stands, surrounds are all mounted 1ft from the ceiling pointing down at a 45° angle towards listening position.

Usage Scenarios:

At this point I actually use the set up about evenly for music, movies and gaming but I know it could never be set up perfectly for all 3 use cases so if I had to choose i’d prioritize movies with music being an extremely close second, followed by gaming. (although, of course, it has to at least perform decently for all three) All of the content I utilize is through streaming services, Tidal for FLAC quality music, but sadly just amazon video, Netflix, Disney+ for movies and shows. The only way I get 7 channel sound (not including the built in surround virtualization modes) is by using Netflix or Disney+ Windows 10 apps that support dolby atmos playback, and using the dolby access app to enable dolby atmos on my pc, which tricks the streaming services into thinking I have atmos capability, and then by the time that data gets sent to my receiver it just decodes the 7 channel track and does nothing with the atmos metadata. I use a firestick 4k connected to a HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI splitter running to the TV and AVR separately, as well as my gaming laptop connected the same way but instead of a splitter both HDMI’s run directly from the laptop

Layout:

(I forgot to add it in the sketch, but there is one 5’ x 2’ window behind the bedhead)

My room is L:21ft x W:11.25ft x H:8ft

Causes for concern/Potential problem areas:

Acoustics & Calibration

Acoustically the room is fuckin shit, what it comes down to is that this room is built into the back corner of a very large very tall 4 door garage which is on a concrete slab, but it is free standing and the walls are all just bare corrugated metal sheet, like a tin roof, which it also has. Now my room is properly built the way you’d expect any room in a house to be, plasterboard walls, carpeted, insulated, etc. Problem is, the wall that the desk is against, and the wall that the TV is against, are both only a few inches of insulation away from corrugated metal, so I feel like that definitely has something to do with why this room still has echo. I’ve got a large fluffy rug under the surround backs, some cheap foam acoustic diffusion panels on the TV wall, curtains over the window.

I’ve recently purchased the Audyssey ACM1HB calibration mic which will arrive on Friday and im hoping that will make a significant impact on the overall sound of this system. But up until then, Its been running on the manual set up I did, but since I don’t have an actual sound pressure meter, I used a dB meter app on my phone to match all the tones (im sure its way off, but I figured its still closer than what i’d be able to get with just my ears)

Subwoofer situation

Originally when I was running one sub I did the subwoofer crawl and it came down to the subwoofer being in the left corner next to the TV, but now I run “stereo” subs because one 10 inch just doesn’t cut it, Im really hoping to replace the Polk with a matching Klipsch, because there just seems to be too much inconsistency with the subs, one track would have barely any low end and then the next track would knock my fuckin lamp off its shelf, I get that would be expected with differences in types of music, but it happens between episodes of a TV show too, and even when I’m gaming, it just like there’s either not enough low end or its way too much and sounds muddy, overbearing. I only feel like the subs are ever just right on rare occasions, and even then, those occasions tend to just be a very bass heavy track to begin with. The Klipsch is rear ported but it has enough space behind it to where it doesn’t chuff. I never go past half gain on the Klipsch, and even less on the Polk because that just gets real noisy and muddy. At this point I’ve messed around with so many different combinations of gain/crossover frequency/sub level/tone adjustment settings that I’ve just lost track of what I should even be doing anymore. I think the crossover is currently set to 120hz, but it varies from 120hz-200hz depending on if it bothers me enough, but I find that range to give the most natural balance between the sound between the subs and fronts.

Conclusion:

At this point I’ve raised two areas that I personally think have an effect on the enjoyment of my system, but as I’ve expressed I’m not completely sure how to remedy them or that how I plan to remedy them will even be the right course of action/make the difference I’m looking for.

So what do you guys think?

Am I looking in the complete wrong direction?

One last point i’ll mention is that this whole set up was built on a very tight budget, everything was bought in used condition, my surround backs and the tv stand were actually free, I built the ceiling mounts and coffee table myself, the couch was already here, this whole build cost me no more than $300 but in actuality I traded up for a lot of it too, so it really started with about a $50 out of pocket initial investment, the reason I did that is because I have no idea how long I’m gonna be staying here and at some point, I will most likely have to sell it all. This is also why I exclusively use streaming services, BD’s just aren’t an option for me. I put this right at the end so that to those who may potentially reply to my post, will hopefully leave the suggestion that involve spending a lot of money, till last.

Thank you to anyone who took the time to read through my whole post, I appreciate all the help I can get.

One area i question is the surrounds high up on the wall. How is the sound coming from the L/R doing stereo only ? The ceiling in your room is drywall assume cuz the 8ft high. Maybe Acoustic panels on the ceiling and on the back wall where the bed is at. Test with a heavy comforter maybe on the back wall ? Throw the comforter on the door too. The wall behind SR might need acoustical treatment. We forget if you invert the room the ceiling is an empty space.

I didnt really put much detail into it on the sketch but that graphic at the end of the bed is actually my closet, its completely open though so my clothes just hang along there, I assume that helps the acoustics somewhat, but I didnt put too much thought into the back wall and ceiling, I dont have actual proper acoustic panels though, these are just cheap foam amazon imitation panels that essentially serve as sound diffusion because of the shape, but almost none whatsoever in absorbing sound

I may be dead wrong so take this with a grain of salt.

I think matching the subwoofers is a good investment.

The fact that the surround system and furniture are kind of to the left of the room rather than in the center may be muffling the bass response. I really wouldn’t know what to do as your closets and door are in the way UwU.

Also have you tried separating the SB’s a bit more?

Probably and hard surfaces.
If you had a measuring mic other and better than the Audyssey ACM1HB and a software.
You could see where and how bad the area is. spectral decay or harmonics of musical notes.
But you could try it with that mic and REW (https://www.roomeqwizard.com/) to see how bad the echos / how long the sounds lasts.

I think this is too high. You could try placing it to 80hz, from receiver and from subs.
Then disconnect one sub and try, will the overall balance get better. Is there any “boosts” of low end or is the sound smooth with bass.
If there are some notes that “booms” like hell, and some that are like it should. Would say the room / locations of subs amplifies some of those boom notes.

Try to make the overall sound, so you won’t “notice” the sub. You hear low notes or sub-base but it would sound to be on the same level as front speakers.

Then do the same with other sub.
Matching the subwoofers might help, so they perform the same way, on same volumes.

If you succeed to get the overall sound lvl’s to be ok, with both subs. Now when using both subs you should have too much sub-based bass. Then lower the level’s/gain on both subs like 6-10db (or to taste) so they don’t “boom” too much or be too loud.
Overall sound should be (close?) to equal loudness with sub’s and front’s / every speakers.

If the room still amplfies some notes… it should be measured more to see what HZ’s are boosted and EQ’d out to the more flat or better response.

After you see the REW measurement’s.
Acoustic treatment comes to play. How much and on what area.

2 Likes

Gotcha, yeah clothes hung shoud be sound absorbant and deflecting. Leaves you to concentrate on first reflections of the side walls from what ive learned so far.

yeah the non centeredness annoys me more than you know, but if I move it over any more than it is, my door wont open :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks for the super informative response!
You brought up some really interesting things that I wasn’t even aware of.
Do you have any suggestions for good measuring mics?
I’ve got a ton of research to do now but that sounds about as good as it would ever get.

I’m gonna try your suggestion about setting up the subs, that sounds like a pretty decent method, do you think I should go for the matching klipsch though?

Vote for matching subs . The extra sub can be used to fill in the dead spots.

Yes. It should be easier to get them to perform similar way on same levels of volume.

About the mics. I only have experience with Dayton Audio Omnimic and the GLM measurement things.
DAO had a usb, calibrated measuring microphone and it’s own software.
But a mic can be used with other measuring software also, like REW.

Forgot. I do have a Zoom H4P Pro recorder also with external Rode XLR mics. Haven’t really played with those in measurement sense but… yea.

Calibrated Measurement Microphone with USB is what you would be looking for PC usage, could be analog microphone with XLR cable also but then more gear would be needed.
They seems to be be around 50-100$ and even better one more.
Would still aim for near the 100$ range, so they are actually good and accurate with full HZ spectrum.
UMIK-1 and Dayton Audio and some similar ones are those other hobbyist are using. What i have seen been used. Probably much more and more professional gear are available.

Think these do at least decent or ok job for this type of HT and similar measuring tests.

UPDATE
Alright, there have been some changes and things I’ve learnt so i’ll go over them first to catch everything up to where I’m at. I’ve provided photos this time.

The biggest difference you might notice from the photos is that I’ve moved the klipsch sub to the right side, and the polk sub is now actually next to the couch, I also changed the crossovers to 80hz which actually sounded a lot better for watching shows, but I ended up putting it to 100hz when I was listening to music because it really needed it.

I received the Audyssey calibration mic which you might notice its on a tripod in the first picture, I ran the audyssey calibration yesterday as directed by the prompts and it set my subs to -12db and did a lot of other strange stuff.

One huge thing I also noticed, is that when the calibration was running and it was playing its blipping sounds, my rear right surround speaker has horrible tinny echoey sound, and I have a pretty good guess as to why too, when I installed these speaker mounts, one of the screws of the rear right mount didn’t go in as smoothly as the others. I have enough experience with tools to know that its because I was driving that screw into metal. My guess is that since its all mounted rigidly and one of the screws goes into metal, that its reverberating the speakers sounds at certain frequencies, into the metal beam that I screwed it into, causing that echoey tinny sound. In saying that, I never noticed it till the Audyssey calibration played those blipping sounds, so it may not be the end of the world.

Also i’m sure everyone will notice the cheap foam “acoustic” panels behind my tv in a weird spot, thats because in my prior set up, my desk was in that corner, and those panels were behind me, they’re only there purely because I havent got around to taking them down, and they do close to nothing anyway.

Now since the Audyssey calibration was lackluster to say the least, I’m taking steps to give it a bit of help. I received a suggestion to use Room EQ Wizard, at this stage it would be too soon to go out and buy a flat calibrated mic for that program till I atleast solve some of the easier glaring issues, but I have plugged in my ACM1HB audyssey mic to see what REW can do, im sure its not even close to using REW with a proper mic and calibration file, but since REW is free, it cant hurt?

My plan is to use REW to find the optimal location for my subs, if it helps at all I might consider buying a proper mic for it.

1 Like

All i see is awesome .4 atmos :laughing:. Serious note, not sure how room correction will take to L/R on the floor and surround on the ceiling. But with measuring software will aide in tuning the system. I got those cutains. What is see another issue to look at is the hanging tube lights i get a funky reverb in one of the bedrooms with 2.0 TV setup. Pretty certain its a metal towel rack near the right speaker. I would maybe remove those hanging tube light fixtures on the ceiling. Put a towel over the desk lamp mounted on the wall over the headphones, do your sound demo run room correction and measuring. The gap on the floor next to the sub maybe line it with towels see if it improves the room.

Not an expert on room correction, but if you want to go Atmos or DTS:X you’ll want your 7 channels to be placed at ear level (or slightly above and tilted down if there are obstructions). Then you can use your ceiling mounted speakers for your x.x.4 height channels =).

On the TV front, you could consider OLED (or wait for microled) for better contrast & black levels. A cheaper option is a FALD display with HDR. My OLED in my theater is fantastic, my 4K non-HDR in my bedroom is great as well. I can honestly say I don’t notice the difference in the middle of movie watching (not because they are that close, they are not, but because I’m immersed in the movie). You can also look at how many degrees of your field of view your screen size fills (I setup my home theater for 40 degrees FOV for the main viewing area and enjoy it): http://blog.vava.com/how-big-is-too-big-a-guide-to-optimizing-screen-size-vs-viewing-distance-for-a-perfect-home-theater-experience/#:~:text=2%2C%20a%2016%3A9%20screen,13.56%20feet%20(30°). If you don’t want to replace your TV, consider moving your couch to where the screen fills up a cinematic amount of your field of view.

But most importantly, you should enjoy the shit out of your setup; it’s pretty fucking great! Any setup can be better, but your setup is already better than the commercial theaters I enjoyed the shit out of as a kid =).

I would love to actually have atmos, but my receiver doesn’t support it unfortunately :confused: but I have no other spot to put the surround speakers, that’s why they’re ceiling mounted. If I moved the whole set up slightly to the right, so that it’s all actually centered with the room, I would be able to put the side channels at ear level, but right now if I did that it wouldnt line up with the rest of the set up. I have been considering it though, and I just might give it a shot.

It’s a 55inch 4k non-HDR at 6ft from the main seat, I think that equates to 36.8° FOV?
I’m happy with this TV for the time being, and the viewing distance, especially since I don’t exclusively view 4k content on it, any closer the graininess would ruin it for me.

Thanks for the feedback! I’m definitely loving my set up, but I always get that itch that tells me has to be some free things I can do to make it all that much more enjoyable. Especially since I have access to a lot of tools and resources that allow me to improvise with heaps of things.

Unfortunately since I only have the one window, I really need those tube lights to get the room suitably bright even for daytime purposes, but putting a towel over the lamp and on the floor?
That’s sounds like a strange suggestion, but I might give it a go, for science.

This is good plan, from were to continue.

From what you wrote.
The Klipsch R-14M aren’t rated for very low HZ ranges so crossover at 100Hz might sound better.
These are of course personal preferences, what sounds the best for you. Use it. :slight_smile:
Bigger speakers / bigger drivers could lower the crossover point.

So the measurement placed -12db on subs, so i was on the right track. There was plenty of bass and some Hz ranges creates “boomy” or boosted hz at some range.
Placement and more tuning / settings will help to some degree.
Measurements will give the result’s to be visible.
Tackling the visible issues after that is another thing, and with more volume comes new issues. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Noises and vibrations that never were there… are there now.

I image sound wave like water. looks like a gap on the floor, you mentioned the room is within a metal garage lined with thin insulation behind the drywall. So its kinda like the inside of a car. The worst environment for fidelity aside from the ground floor of zeos house. From what ive learned so far is you want to focus on the room and little as possible on DSP to improve sound quality. Not sure if that is fact but it sounds good. I hear ya on tradoffs with the lights. Im the same way with the weird reverb in the 2.0 bedroom setup. Its not one of the main listening rooms so im too lazy to move furniture around :upside_down_face: and its only prevalent when the volume is cranked.

Thanks for the suggestions they actually helped quite a lot!
at this point I tried to use the audyssey mic as an SPL meter with the built in functionality of REW, but it seems to give me strange inconsistent results so I just used my phone app to tone level match the two subs, not so surprisingly, 9 o’clock or 1/4 gain on the klipsch correlates to about 12 o’clock or half volume on the polk, but this isn’t linear, because as soon as I go one increment higher on the Klipsch to 10 o’clock, its already louder than 3/4 volume on the polk, and by the time I get to half gain on the klipsch its louder than the polk will ever get to and it starts to port chuff at medium/high volumes (AVR side)
I hope that wasn’t too confusing, point is, they’re very hard to match.

Im gonna give REW a second shot another day, but for now im looking into things I can do to optimize the set up

Fortunately its not as bad as Zeos’ bottom floor haha
But it is quite bad, im thinking about rearrangements and making my own sound panels, but I really dont wanna spend too much on that

UPDATE 1.5
So I took a lot on consideration into shifting the whole set up a few inches to the right so that it would actually be truly centered with the room, for the sole reason being that the side channels could be at ear level, right up against the walls, and still be equidistant away from the listening position.

But I ran into a lot of problems with this; firstly the rear right channel would have to be remounted so that it lines up, the couch would have to be moved closer to the door and I could! move it just enough so that its center and the door still opens! but even still, the walking space between the couch and wall becomes so little that it’s just unrealistic and the cherry on top being that the right side lamp shelf I made would have to be remounted to the corner so that it looks aesthetically even. So thats a bust. Instead for now, I’ve decided to make a compromise but im not sure how much this would effect performance. I put the side channels on some speakers stands I made a while ago, and they’re both right up against the walls, which means, no, they’re not equidistant from the listening position.

Now this is what im really worried about and hoping to get some feedback on
With my right side channel being 17 inches further away from the listening position than the left side channel is; Will the sound be unbalanced and audibly uneven even after Audyssey calibration?

I feel like I wouldn’t worry about this if my ears were perfect, but the reason im so concerned is because my right ear is no where near as good as my left ear. To the point where, at my desk set up with my studio monitors, I set the balance about 1/10th to the right channel to make it sound even for myself.

Should I be worried? Should I just scrap the idea and stick with pseudo-height channels for my sides?

17 inches further