What am I missing? Potential system upgrade

Hi everyone. Have been away from posting (am still reading occasionally) but glad to be back!
I recently acquired an Audiolab 6000cdt CD transport and am loving it. Listening to new music every night.
My DAC is a Geshelli Jnog2 with an Atom Amp. Headphones are the AKG 702. I’ve had these for a while.

I am getting really great sound out of this rig but honestly I was expecting more…

Are my headphones not resolving enough? I feel as though I’m missing out on immense detail immersion I hear a lot of folks talk about. And, when I listen to high quality reference speakers the detail is night and day.

Music listening is coming to be a huge part of my life and I think a further investment into headphones might be a good idea?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - happy to be back.

Can you provide what your speaker setup is? That may help explain why your headphones pale in comparison.

Mainly the B&W 600 series, JBL Studio 580, SVS Ultra towers, Focal Aria, etc

looking at the price of the ultra towers and aria, im not remotely surprised the 702 which is $210 on amazon is disappointing.
Comparing to something like a focal clear, hifiman arya, lcd x, etc or better yet utopia, he1000, lcd4z, etc (on a high quality amp) might be a fairer comparison

I don’t own these speakers, just a few that i’ve listened to in the past and went “wow”…
not getting the same wow factor with my setup. maybe id do sub $1000 on headphones?

well speakers will sound different than headphones, nothing is going to change that. Depending on what about it wow’d you, the sr1a/mysphere are the closest in presentation and the 1266tc is the closest in macrodynamics/slam.
I can’t really tell you what price point will get you that wow factor. Are you able to demo some…?

You should get new headphones.
What do you like to listen to?

@sa11297
thank you both for your help - just went with the dan clark aeon open - very excited.
i have a jds labs atom and a magni 3+, will probably sell one of them though as they sound very similar.

how did you pick that headphone? usually isnt a go-to recommendation anymore

good price, good reviews, made in usa, 3 year warranty
DROP + Dan Clark Aeon Flow Open X