What are your other hobbies?

No headphones, but he did eat the Internet once (chomped through the coax for my cable modem).

4 Likes

For 22 years, I would never be able to stop singing the Baretta theme music.

Itā€™s not about watching birds per se, itā€™s more about watching life. Birds have a very defined circle for their life, they go about it pretty much like clockwork. Watching a robin struggle with a thread of a dead branch pulling off fiber to use as nesting material.

Some similar thrills from the perspective of cockatoo ownership:

#1 has got to be the crest. It both looks and functions like an exclamation mark over his head. Whenever anything exciting is going on, heā€™ll let me know. Sometimes Iā€™ll put my hand on top of my head and mimic my own ā€œcrestā€ going up, to which he responds with his. Like ā€œwhazzzzuuuuup!ā€

Pulling fiber off the branch reminded me of the rule of peeling food. Powder loves grapes and apples, but scoops the fruit out and discards the skin.

Speaking of which, heā€™s particular about getting sticky feet or beak, so after a bit of fresh fruit, Iā€™ll give him a piece of damp paper towel, which he uses like a napkin, wiping down the sides of his beak, then chews to bits to clean his upper beak.

Wet beak is also not desirable, so after a shower itā€™s a dry paper towel bit and similar ritual.

Finally, the preening. Cockatoos in the wild preen one another. Our bonding time consists of my picking the ends off his pin feathers. Iā€™m not as fun or easy to preen, though. He likes to try to pick the freckles off my arms, which doesnā€™t work so well, lol.

It would be interesting to see how wild cockatoos behave differently from the suburban variety, lol. My only interaction with wild parrots was a pair of too-friendly-for-comfort keas (which are about knee-high) who walked up to me in New Zealand.

3 Likes

I looked it up and apparently they can live up to 60 years? Thatā€™s really cool. RIP all my pets that died 12 years in.

Yeah I grew up with goldfish and was scarred by mortality, so opted for a more permanent companion. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s amazing how well weā€™ve gotten to know one another over 20+ years.

When/if you travel, who takes care of the bird? I ask for 2 reasons: 1) Iā€™ve heard that birds rather agressively attach themselves to one person and frequently have bad attitudes toward everyone else, and 2) my family has discussed getting a tortoise, and those can live upwards of 80 years. Given our age, that means we would have to will the tortoise to someone after we tip over AND spend the rest of our adult lives figuring out who takes care of the tortoise when we go on vacations and to conferences and the like (assuming those are human activities that someday resume ;p )

Currently my next door neighbor looks after Powder when I travel. If heā€™s not available, I have a couple other local friends who can check in on him daily.

With such a long-lived pet, I also need to worry about who could look after him should something befall my wife and me. Iā€™ve got a good friend who has done bird rescue, and thus already has a head start on parrot needs & behavior.

While itā€™s true that birds tend to bond with their owner, cockatoos in general and umbrellas in particular tend to be very social and friendly. Powder loves meeting people and showing off for them. Heā€™s even good with kids, though I stick to older kids (who wonā€™t act nervous around him) and limit interactions to under my supervision.

Birds have an innate need to establish ā€œpecking order,ā€ and even friendly cockatoos will try to assert their dominance. If you act scared of him, youā€™re broadcasting to him that heā€™s dominant, and he might just get an idea in his head. I can see those wheels spinning and know when itā€™s time to put him up. Ironically, if you stick to having fun and being fun around him, heā€™d much rather clown around with you than take a piece out of your finger.

2 Likes

OK. I knew someone who owned a parrot and that bird only liked him. He had to put a blanket over the birdā€™s cage every time he had company. If someone stuck their finger in the cage, the bird would try to remove said finger. But even that is probably an extreme example. Animals tend to be as tempermentally varied as humans (because weā€™re animals too, it turns out).

Right now weā€™re happy with 2 geckos and a dog. Although, the dog is less thrilled with the geckos than we areā€¦

I think it depends somewhat on bird species, too. Cockatoos are a standout in terms of friendliness.

I get birds, but Iā€™m still wary around other peoplesā€™ birds. I met a really nice couple in San Diego who were out walking their Moluccan cockatoo, and that bird let me pet it for a good 15 minutes, then all of a sudden bit the shit out of my finger for no apparent reason.

It was a friendly bird, but I wasnā€™t part of its flock. Maybe it got tired of being held by a stranger for so long, or maybe it just got an idea in its head to test me. Knowing birds, I think that was anything but personal. And I know how to take a bite. Not that big a deal since birds donā€™t have saliva (i.e., bird bites are not particularly prone to infection, though they do tend to be puncture wounds, which need to be cleaned carefully).

Parrots are highly intelligent, and Iā€™m sure they can be taught / acclimate to deal well with people, but thereā€™s still instinct, their own nature, and their own individual predisposition to take into account.

FWIW, the blanket over the cage is a comfort factor for the bird. Too much activity will stress Powder out, too. One or two people is great, but a house full of people and noise can get overwhelming. Sometimes a quiet calm surrounding is more for the bird than the people. :slight_smile:

1 Like

watching nature is pure awesome. we lived with my wifeā€™s parents for about a year and their back yard is where a lot of the local eagles roost. there is also a couple small herds of island deer in town. theyā€™re much smaller than they used to beā€¦but their back yard used to fill up with 20+ napping. my MiL would walk over them to take the compost out, LoL!

1 Like

thats one aspect I miss living in a small town by a forest. deer, coyote, foxes, rabbits, ground hogs, snakes would show up all time and just chill in my backyard. See some rare birds. or insects while chilling and read on a hammock. sadly I moved to a cmall city near by and the most nature watching I do is people watching at the nearby timmies when Im out on a icecap run

1 Like

I dabble in a lot of thingsā€¦ so many interestsā€¦ I love gadgets and technology. I have always been into computersā€¦I have built many. In my younger years, I was heavily into gaming, mostly FPS, but in the last ten years not so much. Of course music and the equipment behind it, guns and shooting, archery (recurves), golf, fitness, RC cars and drones. Bicycling and Fishing are big onesā€¦ this is where I unplug and take in nature. Some of these hobbies can also be very expensiveā€¦ I have to really be good and not go too crazy with any of them. I do build custom bicycles from time to time tooā€¦

4 Likes

I had a Senegal Parrot for yearsā€¦Definitely would love to get another

1 Like

Mine would be

• Main hobby / passion: cycling, racing Roadbike (can be as expensive as audio but I was lucky and got sponsored for a while = more money for audio).

• Technology in generalā€¦

• Owning and researching Backpacks (thatā€™s a weird one I know)

ahhhā€¦mountain biking. I remember it wellā€¦until I crashed. had a helmet on, hence why Iā€™m alive, but the damage caused by the 80kph dismount was significant. lucky to be alive as the type of head trauma I survived, diffuse axonal shearing, has a fatality rate surplus 90%. you have any crashes Knale?

not sure if youā€™ll have any input Benā€¦but Iā€™m looking for a duffel bag that has pack straps so it can be carried by handles or packed. know of anything?

Hey sure, here are some of my favorites. Some of them are available in different sizes depending on your need. Hope I was able to help. If you have any other questions feel freeā€¦

Boundary Supply
Aegis Duffel Pack

YouTube:

Peak Designā€™s
TRAVEL DUFFEL 35L

YouTube:

Black Amber
FORGE

YouTube:

Wandrd
HEXAD CARRYALL/Access DUFFEL BACKPACK

YouTube:

Honorable mention:
Baboon
Go-Bag
https://baboontothemoon.com/products/go-bag-small-duffle#variant=grey
YouTube:

Edit:
Helly Hansen has some nice and cheaper options as well
https://www.hhworkwear.com/en_us_ww/hh-duffel-bag-50l-79572?color=290002

4 Likes

With that violent of a crash, injury and prognosis, I am happy you are here to enjoy this hobby together :slight_smile: Mountain biking, I have had small crashes. Most of the riding I do is canyon single trail, nothing crazy and usually not a lot of speed involvedā€¦ I also road bike for fitness and pleasureā€¦ I was a commuter for ten yearsā€¦ I have storiesā€¦ This is where my most scary moment was. Morning commute, one section of my route is a long sweeping downhill lined with Eucalyptus treesā€¦ this was the morning after a windy nightā€¦ Usually I know to get out of the bike lane and into the road after a night like that, but this morning, maybe I didnā€™t have enough coffeeā€¦ I usually got up to speeds around 40 MPH on this hillā€¦ still darkā€¦ next thing in know I am launched over the handlebars, still clipped into the pedals bringing the bike with meā€¦ face plant as well as front of helmet. Ended going over twice, the bike breaking away from clips on second one. I was very luckyā€¦ no traffic early in the morning, I ended up in the middle of the road. Injury wiseā€¦ I was definitely dazed , broken collar bone and lots of road rash everywhereā€¦ feeling very fortunate. Hemet saved me most likely. When I got my wits about me, I walked the bike back homeā€¦ on the way back I saw what it was I hitā€¦ It was about a 2 to 3 inch diameter Eucalyptus tree branch laying across the bike lane.

I didnā€™t break anything in my crashā€¦well, mebe my nose, but itā€™s not crooked, just easy to get nosebleeds since the accident. I had a lot of soft tissue damage, my back and shoulder muscles / tendonā€™s are all sorts of messed up, but Iā€™m fully mobile, no balance / equilibrium issues that often follow something like this. I was quite the sight immediately following though. the swelling was so bad that I was unrecognizable. mum couldnā€™t bring herself to take any photoā€™s, but everyone said my head was purple and the size of a basketball. you couldnā€™t see my eyes, ears or nose.

I did ride againā€¦but after catching myself flying down a hill at 90kph and barely making a red light stop where I had hundreds of meters to slow down, I quit. first thought when I see a hill is ā€˜how fast can I goā€™ thoughā€¦that hasnā€™t changed! :wink:

1 Like

Hobbies are extremely limited since Iā€™m in a non free country (currently in Japan).
US State side was all mixed between the following
Firearms - target - trap- skeet - reloading - collecting
Computers - gaming - optimizing / building
Networking - switches - routers - access points
Automobile - rebuilding engines- trans - diffs - electrical - body
Motorcycle - MSF certified instructor - repair - rebuild - rider. Also have a ok collection of different motorcycles (sold a couple before putting the rest in storage)
Welding - Tig - mig - stick
Electronics - yes. Been a maintainer, certified project engineer and project manger for combined 20 yearsā€¦

6 Likes