What DAC should I buy?

I have bought the DT880 600 ohm and the Emotiva BasX A-100

I am now looking for a DAC to suit.

I was thinking about the Motu M2 or SMSL SU8 or Geshelli Enog2 PRO or any other recommendations

1 Like

Enog2 is really good. Just no usb…they are however gonna make a new enog at the end of the year. But right now you can get the enog2 for around 180 instead of 200 i think. If you need usb, su8 would be nice or modius. All 3 dacs have single ended and balanced out so you can get a balanced amp in the future too if you wanted.

1 Like

I really like my SU-8 and the price was right. I like all the features, especially the balanced output and volume control. Didn’t care for it with my THX amp (SMSL SP200) though.

1 Like

If not Enog2… Schiit Modius is pretty amazing and has a FANTASTIC usb implementation.

I’ll mention the zen dac for consideration… its warm signature works well with the 880 on solid state

+1 on the modius

1 Like

Topping E30 or Modius. Modius has balanced if you wanna decide on getting a balanced amp in the future.

OK thank you guys for your responses I’ll have a look into the DACs mentioned especially the modius and now also found the SMSL M300 mkii your thoughts?

less you need bluetooth nope still modius imo.

2 Likes

Has anyone heard the EMOTIVA STEALTH DC 1 DAC? How good is it?

The DC-1 is a preamp/headphone amp/DAC.
I’m running the DC-1 as a DAC with SMSL SP200 THX amp and HD6xx headphones. I bought the DC-1 back in 2015. I prefer the DC-1 in this set up over newer dacs that I’ve tried…
JDS El Dac
Topping D50
Schiit Modi 3
Arcam IrDac
Chord Mojo
Smooth balanced sound…detailed but not overly aggressive treble…tight bass with good slam…good weight to mid-range. The DC-1 was recently discontinued but it’s a bargain on the used market. Built like a tank with professional grade hardware and internal toroidal power supply.

Hey man, thanks a lot. I’ve seen it used for around 450 euros. I was wonder whether it was worth trying out. I use the Audio -gd R2R 11 DAC at the moment and was looking for a clear upgrade under 500 euros.

I haven’t heard the AGD R11 DAC/amp. From what I’ve read, it doesn’t measure well compared to the newer sigma delta DACs but it has a stout amp section and is known for that smooth musical R2R sound. If you like that kind of sound, DC-1 probably wouldn’t be an upgrade for you.

Ok. Yes. I do actually like the sound of the r2r11. I find it a little raw and unrefined, coarse even. But I like the general signature. Thanks for making it clear that it wouldn’t be a clear upgrade.