What did you buy today? (Part 2)

You don’t have to change the picture, just don’t stick it in your ear without cleaning it off. lol

1 Like

Yeah true, but that’s on me I didn’t noticed the hair on my tips and no, that’s not a pubic hair nor even my hair, therefore I don’t know when that thing appeared. Hey at least you get a “presentable” image.

3 Likes

I bought a Koss KPH30i because it was $20 and why not?

So it arrived today, and just for fun, I plugged it into my Quicksilver/Bifrost 2 setup and it kinda sounded great! So of course, I had to do the shootout of the Koss/Quicksilver/Bifrost vs. Eikon/Apple dongle (actually somewhat similar price points) and it’s closer to a fair fight than I expected! lol (The Eikon + dongle stack definitely wins imo, but still, it was impressive to me.)

EDIT: Actually, I think the Koss might have even better synergy with the RNHP.

5 Likes

I had a similar observation with the KPH30i on the RNHP - turned out to be a nice pairing. $20 headphones with $500 amp. Why not!

4 Likes

Yeah, baby! :metal:

25 Likes

Got my AudioQuest Forest USB cable in today. The Bifrost 2 came in Sunday, but it’s still close enough to today to count, right, :grin:.

Also included is the candy bar I picked up while running errands today, just for some added flavor. :rofl:

22 Likes

Received my Monolith M1570’s today. I love the sound paired with my iFi Pro iCAN.

Big sloppy fit like the Fostex TH610’s, but with a Much better sound. :+1:

8 Likes

Some recent purchases

A Sylvania 6SN7WGTA “Big Black Base” under @Hazi59’s recommendation to go with the Lyr 3

A Soekris 1321

Clear MG has gone back, the SPL Phonitor One also going back

29 Likes

These will be here by Friday! Cant wait…

19 Likes

Got my Schiit Wyrd, and upgraded all my cables to Audioquest, mostly evergreen.

14 Likes

Looks nice. What’s your impression of the Wyrd?

With my setup it helps clean the signal just a bit more coming from my gaming pc to the Eitr (coaxial converter) to the Gungnir dac, (Gen1 no usb). just using optical in was noisy from my pc, switching to the EItr helped a lot, the wyrd just helped clean up the signal going into the eitr, so just a small improvement. I don’t have anything else to really test it on to compare for now, but it does work. Depending on the setup it may perform better or not make much difference, but for me it’s noticeably cleaner overall. I’m pretty sure the new Schiit dacs have something similar built into the usb cards so it would explain why its discontinued, but for older stuff like what I have it seems to work good.

1 Like

Look what showed up today! Thanks @Jose_G !

These look good and sound good! (especially on the G111)

20 Likes

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

nice

This little thing is great

13 Likes

Some custom made xlr interconnect to go along with the soloist.

Just need to get some new monitors for the desktop rig then I’m all set… well until the spring 3 comes out :wink:

10 Likes

THANK YOU @db_Cooper so VERY MUCH for building and programming my new Pi streamer thingy for me!

I am handy but computer stuff frustrates me and makes me want to throw things out the window or kill them w/fire. I feel sooo much better having you watch my back on this one💪 I’ll call you so you can walk me through hooking this thing up eventually. NICE, looking forward to using it.

24 Likes

May I ask why?

So I believe this is priced to compete against other studio amps under/around 500USD. RNHP, G111 and Monotor. Personally I feel whilst the Phonitor One is reasonably good in its technical performance, it is still slightly behind those three (in terms of resolution, separation and spatial recreation, being the three main things I focus on). Its presentation is dryer and more analytical (but without as good the resolving power to support that compared to those three), which gives a tuning that is more forward, sharper, perhaps slightly brighter too. Another concern is this is an amp that I might need to be extra careful with seeing what happened with @Andrew_Davis 's higher end Phonitor and his Clear.

But of course, the Phonitor One is also priced slightly lower than those three studio amps, so whilst I wouldn’t say I don’t think it lives up to its price, I personally feel it’s better to spend a bit more to get any of those three, unless this is kind of sound signature is your preference.

1 Like

May I know where you got the 1321? These are quite rare on the used market.

2 Likes