What do do think constitues "casual" for a gaming headphone?

What do you think of when you hear someone is looking for a casual gaming can?

Something more tuned for ā€˜funā€™ā€¦ Like something that would work well for movies as wellā€¦ A ā€œhardcoreā€ gaming headset would be more for competitiveā€¦ imoā€¦ little to no low endā€¦ very mids and treble focused. Compressed sound with easy focus on micro details.

Bassy, wide soundstage, limited imaging (since a lot of singleplayer games have crap positioning designed for TV setups)ā€¦RGB.

• Easy to drive, so 32 to 60 Ohm
  • Durable in the ā€œcareless left on the groundā€ sense
  • Cheaper than 150ā‚¬/$

weighing in here, with my amazing k/d of 0.8, casual gaming headphones imho should be wide, open, relatively warm, extension is an added bonus, imaging doesnā€™t need to be pin point.

competitive is another matter entirely, staging is probably less important, any distance wider than the insides of your skull is probably adequate, imaging is most likely key. perhaps an emphasis on the upper mids, low treble, even a peak at whatever hz footsteps tend to be in.

The specs mentioned above kinda fit in Philips SHP9500 so SHP9500.
With not so amazing K/D 1.67ā€¦

But not bassy. They nice in that way + confort.
Big boomy bass just ainā€™t fun after some time.

Something with a nice relaxed wide soundstage, good bass extension, and maybe warmth?

I think, wide soundstage and good imaging for immersion, with a balanced tuning.

1 Like

You know, Nighthawk Carbon fit that description in some ways. Iā€™ve heard some people say they really like them for gaming. I personally like them a lot for movies.

FUN bassy wide sounding heaphone like a fidelio

Shp9500 w/eikon suede pads and tuning foam is way better than the x2 imo. Powerful deep bass and smooth highs (needs the tuning foam to bring treble peaks down). Good mid range although slightly recessed which is my preference. Wide sound stage and more accurate imaging compared to the x2.

Basically, anything that does not have a label or a look of a ā€œgamingā€ headset signifies for casual use imo. Meaning I can use it whether I am gaming or not. Well the essentials are basically these for me: Comfortable pads for long gaming sessions, high clarity microphone that is almost the same grade as a condenser mic, detachable wires so that during RAGE moments when you have the urge to break your cable it can be replaced with a new one, durability is also emphasized for the previous reason I stated and last one the most FOCAL POINT of all headphones for gaming, would be the sounds! IMO Balanced sound signature with excellent imaging and soundstage would be the perfect ideal for a so called ā€œcasualā€ gaming headphones.

1 Like

I dont think of impedance when I think casual gaming, I think of a fun sound signature that is wide and accentuates events in the gameā€¦so wide soundstage, bassy and good enough treble extension to not miss anything important in game, but not enough treble to murder your ears. I think of Argons immediately.

1 Like

I would consider casual gaming headphones the same as a good movie / tv headphone.

I think the only gaming category that benefits from a specific sound signature is competitive shooters.

One that isnā€™t analytical because a lot of games have lazy sound design. A big soundstage with bass. Thatā€™s why gaming headsets usually have an external sound card for them or use software like dolby headphone.

I think this really depends on budget and what one means by ā€œcasual.ā€

By some measures, Iā€™m a ā€œcasualā€ gamer. I donā€™t care to spend all my income on the PC upgrade treadmill, so Iā€™ve stuck to console gaming. And I donā€™t care for competitive multiplayer, so Iā€™ve never looked for headphones or headsets to give me an ā€œedge.ā€ People who care about their K/D or are trying to make a name for themselves streaming undoubtedly would label me a filthy casual.

By other measures, Iā€™m about as hardcore as they come. I have 3 Xbox 360s and something like 9 XBox Ones, and Iā€™ve unlocked over 25,000 achievements including 100% in over 900 games. I play every type of game from easy family and indie titles to challenging and AAA games.

When it comes to gaming audio, I love some of the same headphones for gaming as I do for music. I made a headset out of Focal Elegias and a modmic because I thought that made gaming sound spectacular. Upon further thought and comparison, it seems my preference for Elegia comes from a combination of excellent imaging, a natural sounding timbre, and warm, full, cinematic presentation.

At the other end of the spectrum, I have friends with kids and Nintendo Switches, and the Koss KPH30i is the best thing ever.

Thereā€™s a ton of space between those extremes, including people who stick to RPGs or sports or Minecraft or whatever. Maybe all some people need is something that doesnā€™t sound like ass and has a closed back so they can play without disturbing the people they live with. Not sure thereā€™s any one good definition for ā€œcasual,ā€ nor any common headphone solution.