What do you do while you chill to music?

actually, I’m usually looking up info on something. reading about headphones, DAC, Amp or maybe something PC and firearms related.

1 Like

Of course, instead of using your headphones to listen to music, why not just listen to more headphone reviews so you can listen to information your future purchase lol. Then just repeat the cycle

2 Likes

I will usually start a session just sitting in low light with my eyes closed, giving all my attention to a full album. I like to really study what I’m listening to and listen critically. Then I often move on to more relaxed listening and read some news, do email, clean records, etc.
A lot of times I start listening to my speakers late, after I put the kids to bed, so I feel like I usually have time for one album at fairly high listening levels before it is too loud and late for my kids and the neighbors. Then I throw on the cans and fall into my own little audio world.

1 Like

That certainly happens! I am reading the forums and a product sparks my interest and suddenly a YouTube review appears. And if those posts have hooked me, I am off to YouTube.:grinning:

1 Like

I feel like I have changed lol, I haven’t read or watched any real reviews in like years (besides this forum). I have been review free for awhile now

1 Like

You are a stronger man than me.:+1:

1 Like

Well, now I just go hear the new stuff right away and make up my opinion for myself, so I may have made it worse for me lol

1 Like

Shoutout to Osaka!!!

2 Likes

That is not an option for me. Which may be a good thing.:grin:

1 Like

I work on my music library. Rip CDs. Scan artwork. Submit metadata to MusicBrainz, RateYourMusic and Discogs. Track my ratings in my spreadsheet and RYM. Add albums to Roon and Plex. I have spent countless hours working on my music library while listening to music. It’s a zen hobby.

2 Likes

I used to do this in MediaMonkey quite a lot. I haven’t done so for a good year now since I rebuilt my PC and my optical drive went to shit. I need to get myself a new one and get back in the zen of organizing my library.

It also gives me a decent enough reason to practice on my Japanese, since I have a very sizeable collection of import music and needing to look up track names for songs that MediaMonkey can’t grasp from any of the online sources.

2 Likes

Someone is even more anal than me! I make sure that with each song I have correct name/spelling of band, correct name/spelling of album, correct album art, correct year of release, etc. I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on Wiki tracking down info and on the net tracking down album art, while building the collection.

I am at about 6,400 songs and everything is pretty much perfect. When I download to my DAP sometimes all the info doesn’t transfer properly. I have learned to accept that as nobody sees my DAP except me.:grin:

Hey, sometimes artists change their name like Santogold changing the name to Santigold. Not my fault it’s wrong sometimes. :wink:

1 Like

What. Well now I gotta update that lol, still have it as Santogold in my library. I didn’t even notice lol

You should check out MusicBrainz. It’s the most accurate database I have found for metadata and if what you find isn’t correct, you can submit a correction. They also have MusicBrainz Picard which uses the MusicBrainz database for tagging your media. Good stuff.

1 Like

Good cataloging systems will recognize that Santigold and Santogold are both the same artist but will retain the original artist names on each release as “Credited as”.

i tend to listen to music while in front of the computer and when i’m out driving. But i also sit and just listen to music. I don’t listen to music if i where to read a book, or if i was reading something that required proper attention, as i easily get distracted if the music is good :slight_smile:

I do it by hand essentially soooooo. Also I prefer to keep limited metadata

I find it’s all pretty good now. When I started out in 2009 my goal was to get every song I have ever liked in my life and I have pretty much done that. There were a few songs that were ungettable, but very few.
It was hard to get all the info for 60’s, 70’s and even 80’s music.
It took me thousands of hours of work over the past decade to get it all together. I didn’t even know what I was looking for until I found all the playlists from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. In some cases I knew instantly when I saw the name that I loved it, but sometimes I had to listen to it. And then you’re like “Oh shit, I loved that song”. Then you gotta buy it and then track down all the info. Wiki was great but I had to do lots of hunting. Especially with Canadian music as the records that were kept aren’t nearly as good.

Ton of work, but I am REALLY happy with the outcome. If I had to stop buying music tomorrow, I could be a very happy man for many years to come. I have 18.5 days worth of music (447+ hours). Spanning Miles Davis in the 40’s to Clarence Clemons Peacemaker which I bought this week after watching the Netflix special. Nice Jazz horn album.

I do nothing.
I just sit/lay down and enjoy the music.

1 Like