What do you have to buy to get better than the Massdrop cans?

what amp do you use for over 1k headphones?

Yeah getting to mix and match stuff can be super helpful

It depends on the headphone and where I am in the house lol

1 Like

Fair… best all around amp cuz my next headphone or iem purchase will be over 1k Im thinking

I like to imagine you have a dac/amp setup next to every major appliance, fridge, oven, toaster, coffee maker and so on.

3 Likes

The Andromedas sound great off the 789 would be the exception to my above impressions

1 Like

I personally like the cayin iha6 for higher priced headphones more than a thx if you want a do it all workhorse that works well with most headphones. But I could give a more specific rec with more specific info

2 Likes

I do have one in my kitchen yes. The only place I don’t is the bathroom lol

2 Likes

My feeling on clean solid state amps is you probably ought to have one, but as long as what you have will drive what your asking it to, there really isn’t a reason to own another even if it’s marginally better. They’re all mostly “good enough”, and by that I mean they all sound pretty good, and even if I prefer one to another, it’s usually not by enough to replace one of them.

That’s where your DAPs and Stax D10 are for

thats why you buy a dap :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t want to start associating this hobby with the bathroom.

Yeah, I’ve been very satisfied with my GS-X Mk2 DACT and iCan pro. It just works and sounds great. I do use my rnhp in the studio more often than I would like to say lol

Also I end up using portable dac/amps pretty often too for work

Exactly lol. Also it’s gross

1 Like

i got the Ananda and the ZMF Aeolus coming. do you think the sp200 can run these alright?

Well that ought to be a few steps up form any of the lower priced THX designs.
Might not measure as well, because it’s a Feed Forward Class A design with FET’s, but it ought to sound demonstrably better.

My jds labs atom runs the aeolus at low gain loud at around 9-10 on the knob. Since these amps are comparable, I have no doubt the sp200 could run it.

is that the 400$ one?

It’s this amp: https://www.amazon.com/Rupert-Neve-Designs-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B01HBUB3D4/

1 Like

I think they should both be fine. You just may get a little more with tubes with the Aeolus from what I’ve read. I’ve been at the top of his spreadsheets to be among the next to ship, so hopefully I’ll soon be able to see for myself

2 Likes