What do you think about this video talking about the HD58x?

The best gaming audio setup- by hardware canucks.
This guy seems to have used a lot of headphones including some high-end options like the TH900 or the HD800. Yet he seems to acknowledge the HD58X w/ Fulla 3 as the best setup for gaming audio. The HD58X doesn’t seem to have a wide soundstage, nor has a pretty much-recessed bass… This headphone seems to be AMAZING for the PRICE, but I don’t think it can compete with other higher-end models in terms of gaming. (Even the PC38X is worse than other options) HD58X seems to be also other streamers’ daily driver… Why do you think he would say the HD58X is the best for gaming?

Honestly, reviews from folks like Hardware Canucks/Badseed Tech, Zeos and others are why I ended up going the route of the HD 58X myself for my first pair of open-back real headphones. Their price is reasonable, seems a lot of casual gamers enjoy them and you don’t have to drive them with an amp from the get-go. For me - it’s my first toe in the waters of better audio for gaming. I know I’m probably going to want more low-end out of them, so from there I guess I’ll see what I can do (I’ve been wearing cheap closed-back headphones my whole life, and I’m a base junkie).

because shillings a thing
because some reviewers get paid to give high praise to products through the use of affiliate links they get money.
because it makes for good views as anybody who doesn’t know a wide variety of gear relies on what the “best” thing is hence why gaming headsets will preach just how amazing they are. When in reality… there is no best and never will be.
because he has gone on to say several gaming peripherals are amazing or the best so it’s not uncommon for him
because he’s a reviewer who claims it’s the best in his opinion… which should be taken as an opinion not fact
because 58x fits practically everywhere and most game sound engines are trash

3 Likes

Probably you’re right…

1 Like

He talked about a couple of really bad alternate choices, Hifiman are notorious for the recessed 2k area, which is bad for imaging, since presence comes from that range. Crinacle has the HE400se on his gaming list too, which gets a side eye from me, since I own that set, and they are the last thing I would game on. The HyperX Cloud Orbit S-Gaming Headset is also a bit too bass heavy ( from the graphs I have seen ) for good imaging, in addition to having a horrible name.

He does eventually talk about the PC38X, which is a pretty solid choice, being close to the the 6xx profile, and better for imaging than the HD58x. He even ranks them this way, and basically says it depends on if he needs the microphone, so it is a legit review of the product, which I appreciate him being clear on the why behind the use-case.

I think shilling products is part of it. His product list was probably a result of sponsor deals and/or the stuff that got sent in. The root problem was a bad selection of gear to review for the task listed in the video. I think of the headphones he mentions, based on imaging, he does get the correct top two, so at least he is reviewing the things in the video, even if some of them aren’t very suitable for the topic. I would argue that a $20 pair of Koss KSC75 might beat out everything he mentioned, including the PC38X. That said, I doubt Koss sent him a pair. I am guessing that Schitt sold some of those Fulla DAC/Amp combos, and they do look nice.

I recommend them only post pad swap due to the signature complications… once pad swapped they do become a very solid choice… not better than like a beyer in terms of imaging but if you need strong verticality it has some of the best in its price tag that I have tried so far.

will always say… its … decent lol

1 Like

After I found out about the VModa boommic pro, I started gaming on a Philips SHP9500, they are very good for stage and imaging, so I just haven’t really bothered chasing down anything better.

I like the HE400se for some music, and I have the Sennheiser pads on the headband to help with the comfort. They are heavy, and wouldn’t be my pick for longer gaming sessions. I say that as someone who codes for a living, so I spend too much time with headphones or IEMs in, and staring at a screen.

I haven’t really liked the HyperX stuff. Despite being a gamer, I am sure I am not the target audience for them. Being over 50 nearly guarantees that you aren’t in anyone’s target audience. When I wanted a new keyboard I did look at their stuff, but their switches were not what I wanted. I did buy an RGB gaming keyboard, but went with the GMMK, which also got me to go with the wireless Model O mouse, when my last Logitech died.