What happens to your equipment that gets replaced?

If any of you have been following my threads lately, I recently bought a JDS Labs EL 2 Amp to replace my Schiit Magnius. Suddenly my brain created a new fold and I asked myself, “where the heck do I put the Magnius?”. Unfortunately, I threw away the original packaging for the Magnius, because I thought it would stick with me forever.

I’m asking, because I want to know some good ways to safely package and stow away my equipment. Heck, I might just end up getting rid of it, but don’t get your hopes too high about me selling it. I will most likely give the amp away to a friend, because he is a music producer.

1 Like

Find new box. Put in box.

1 Like

New box, protective material such as this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stretch-Packing-Furniture-Right-Pack/dp/B07RT1MS66/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=furniture+wrap&qid=1624493863&sr=8-5 and/or bubble wrap, then cushioning materials like paper

1 Like

Do you think I should take an extra step and use anti-static wrapping?

I personally don’t think so

1 Like

number 1 tip in this hobby, always keep the original packaging. chances are the piece of gear you think you wil never part with will get replaced when the upgrade itch comes along. This hobby is pretty much built upon the notion of selling old gear to fund the next best thing, gotta climb that hifi ladder and there is no better way to do that than selling your way up the ladder. If you are smart in your secondhand aquisitions it is pretty easy to do so with little to no loss financially and sometimes even a profit if you can find a sick deal.
number 2 tip? always buy used or atleast once you get past that entry level budget gear tier.

you can sell that magnius to recoup some of the cost of the el amp or put in a secondary setup in another room if you have the need for such a thing. giving it to a friend is also a nice gesture since really you won’t make too much money selling it anyways

6 Likes

You must fill your closet with empty boxes. As you go deeper down the audio rabbit hole that is audio, you will need to accept two things:

1. Every audio product that you love will eventually be sold. Keep boxes, manuals and packing materials.

2. If you live in an apartment or condo, you may have to clear some clothes out of your closet to accommodate the boxes and packing materials that you will accumulate. :grin:

2 Likes

there are three primary paths to follow:
1 - keep as you may still like the sound
2 - sell to pay for more new gear
3 - gift / donate to friend / family / poor money less sod and show your benevolence

2 Likes

I hook it up to another device/application in my home.

2 Likes

pretty much this except you for got step 4. Sell gear to fund the nighthawk merchants guild.

In all seriousness consider reselling your gear if you end up not using it for more than 6 months. You can still get a relatively good resell and I’m sure it will be happy with a new home.

1 Like

Thot is on the ball here. unless you know for certain you don’t want the part around anymore, sent it to me, CEO of the NMG. :wink:

1 Like