What headphones to go with the iFi Zen Dac?

Howdy! I recently got the ifi zen dac as my first proper amp+dac and I’m looking to get some new headphones to go with it. I’ve been using the HD58X with it and I really like them but I want to try something new.

I listen to a lot of metal and old school rock and sometimes I might even listen to some indie or rap music. To be honest I don’t really know what kind of sound I prefer, sometimes I’d like to have some more bass and sometimes I like a more neutral sound. I like experimenting with stuff too so I’m up for anything really.

I’ve been looking to get Hifiman Sundaras and/or Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pros. Would these two headphones be good with the ifi zen dac? Would the ifi zen dac be enough for these two headphones or would I be better off getting a new amp/dac?

If anyone has any experience with these headphones combined with the ifi zen dac I’d be happy to hear from you!

1 Like

look for a pair of the AudioQuest Nighthawk Carbon on the used market…they go very well with the Zen. headphones that would benefit from the warm sound signature the Zen has would be good…so perhaps the 1990 Pro’s, but I’d recommend looking at headphones you can run as balanced to use the Zen’s 4.4mm Pentacon balanced out…unless you’re handy and comfortable with doing mods to headphones with a fixed cable. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the Zen DAC (I have the Zen Can too) and the bass boost is amazing to my ears. I’m not the most knowledgeable when it comes to audio gear but I do have the Zen DAC and Sundara and they pair great together especially with the true bass turned on. It turns the bass light Sundara into a great headphone for bassy genres and I listen to EDM, pop, a bit of hip hop and rock. The Sundara & the Zen DAC with the power match and true bass both turned on I get to about 12:00 on the knob

1 Like

Don’t get the 1990 Pro I’d get the Sundara for sure unless you have some professional use for them.

1 Like

I will check if I can get the nighthawks for sure. Thanks!

I got bought the sundaras now and gonna pick them up today. I also love the bass boost button on the ifi its great

Okay. I’ve heard people say they are pretty good for gaming too but ill try and find a store that has them so I could listen to them

1 Like

The M1070 is an analytical Planar like the Sundara. The Sundara’s construction is lighter and comfier, scales well with better and better amps.

There’s not too much point to getting an M1070, by all means go and try it but if you have the Sundara and wanted another planar I’d get something like a Verum or a second hand LCD2C

1 Like

Gonna look more into to those, thank you!

1 Like

Some further context to this is that you’ve got a bright planar already and a dark Planar with good mids like the Verum 1 Mk 2 or LCD2C is more chill and and relaxed.

Please note if you’re gonna get the Verum since it’s an 8ohm headphone it’s like a speaker in regards to load so something with plenty of current is advised

Edit: and the verum 1 mk 2 is 350usd so a bargain

1 Like

Damn those verums really look super nice. Might actually order them soon

1 Like

do not get distracted…you want the NHC!!!

1 Like

They sound even better :sweat_drops::sweat_drops::sweat_drops:

1 Like

It’s over Nighthawk gang…

1 Like

Can’t say I’ve ever heard the M1070 referred to as analytical. I found it quite warm and relaxed, but still fairly detailed.

1 Like

I heard it on 2 different chains and even on a Flux labs Fa12s they were a bright planar for sure.

Edit: the old M1060 was targeting the LCD2C for sure.