What is the best (value) IEM between 50$-2k$

No, Variations is the only Moondrop I have. But judging by what many have said, it’s a better upgrade in all frequencies compared to B2 Dusk, just perhaps not worth the upgraded cost if you want the same tuning.

Btw, B2 and B2 Dusk are tuned different, so B2 vs Variations is more like a B2 vs B2 Dusk scenario.

You pay for better techs, timbre and coherency. But yeah, depends on your wallet.

1 Like

The Timeless has a unique sound thats well worth checking out and whilst it’s not perfect (what is) nor totl, what it can do makes it exceptional value for money.
My two peneth.
I’m personally holding out for the retuned Monarch.

5 Likes

7hz Timeless + different cables + different tips (foam and silicone) + good sources + EQ.

Should be an all-around value deal.

1 Like

I ordered the 7hz. I am not opposed to using eq per se, but I’d prefer to not have to rely on it because flexibility/convenience. The Aria sounds good without EQ and better with. The Blessing 2 sounds even better with EQ than the Aria, but useless without (to my ears).

1 Like

The timeless is close to perfect with zero EQ. EQ just fixes the small things.

2 Likes

I do hope so… I guess there is nothing left to do but to wait a couple of weeks and see :slight_smile:

Another month has passed and the 7hz arrived. I also got some other opportunities to listen to some random >500$ IEMs in the meantime.

Last month I concluded:

I think that still holds true, but to add to that:

• I guess the IEM I should have bought from the beginning was the 7hz timeless. I don’t think it is perfect and e.g. female vocals sound somewhat off, but it does so much right and sounds overall much better than any other IEM have listened to without EQ, including the FiiO FH9, Blessing 2 and U12T
  • That beeing said, I don’t regret ordering the Blessing 2 first. Overall I have a better understanding about what to expect from IEMs, where to put crinacle ratings and it forced me to learn things about EQing.
  • Also turns out, I prefer the Blessing 2 over the Timeless with EQ :man_shrugging:

I would still like to listen to the Moondrop Variations and Mest MK2, but I guess I will stay off of purchasing any more IEMs for the time being.

Thanks for everyone’s input, I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

All that’s left to do is to make up my mind if I will keep both IEMs or sell one of them and which one…

5 Likes

I wish we would get flooded with planar IEMs in the future. That would be the golden age of chifi.

1 Like

I kinda agree but to be fair planar’s don’t perform at there best while being closed backed ie IEM’s…is there a closed back planar that ‘out’ performs an open one at a similar price point? :thinking:

It would be cool if there would be an open back timeless. Imaging the timeless IEM but the backside has just a mesh.

That could give such a good soundstage. There is an earbud with an open back called the jcally ep05. That’s how I imagine it.

Aye maybe the could try a sensible sized/IEM version of an iSINE who knows lol.

Timeless with a larger driver would be sweet (assuming that would give more slam & other benefits)

1 Like

I am struggling to make up my mind about wether I should sell the Timeless or Blessing 2 or keep both or buy the Variations.

1. The Timeless is so far the best IEM I have heared without EQ
  2. However the Blessing 2 simply sounds better with EQ… but the need for EQ is a drawback in and of itself
  3. I think it is not unlikely that I will find the Variations even better than the Timeless without EQ (maybe even better than the Blessing 2 with EQ)… that way I wouldn’t have to make a decission and if I sell both, with the black friday deal for the Variations, I can effectively trade the Timeless and Blessing 2 for the Variations.

I really want to end the search, but this is bugging me.

Any thoughts? @mmkzero I would like to hear your opinion in particular, even tough you haven’t heared the Timeless, if I remember correctly

1 Like

The one that’s $50 lol

Pulled the trigger on Tin t3 plus . I have the o2 and i don’t like vocals on them especially male vocals . Reviewers said the the t3 plus is balanced and if we match graphs in 500hz we can see that’s a brilliant tuning .

1 Like

Keep the planar and trade your old moondrop in for the new one.

4 Likes

Yeah, I‘ve not heard the Timeless yet. I‘m considering getting it as an addition, but since I got the Oracle recently that’s probably going to be on pause for now.

If you want, I wrote a small review of the Variations here. It‘s such a good set of IEMs.

You said that you like clarity, especially vocal clarity, detail, and a bit of fun, right? In that case I think the Variations is probably right for you. Very detailed set. I‘d describe it as „clean and lean“ sounding while maintaining musicality. The extension on both ends probably leads to that being the case; exceptional sub-bass boost on one end, sparkly and spacious treble on the other end.

I should also mention, where I found the B2 Dusk to sometimes be a little spicy in the treble and almost sibilant, I did not have that with the Variations even once.

Honestly, 442$ for the Variations is such an incredible deal. Absolute steal. You could probably get the Variations and sell the Blessing 2. I think the Timeless complements the Variations very well, for tracks that could use a bit more mid-bass.

I‘m in a similar spot actually, except the Oracle fills the spot of the Timeless for me.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the input. I went and read your review. Pretty much everything you say aligns with my expectation and I "autoeq"ed both the Blessing 2 and Timeless to the frequency response of the Variations and both times it just sounds great (which is only an indication, but a strong one).

Since I posted the question I went from “Let me just go for the Variations” to “the Timeless will may be worse, but it’s good enough”, now back to “I will miss out if I don’t try”. Honestly, I don’t think the gap between Timeless and Variations will be huge and probably not worth the markup, but on the other hand I could afford it… I guess I need to flip a coin.

Either way, thanks again for the input :+1:

Btw.: I haven’t listened to the Oracle, but I actually don’t find the Timeless to be particulary warm, despite what the graph says. There may be a certain warm quality to it, but it’s either the treble energy or the planar that probably make it closer to the Variation than to the Blessing 2. Probably want to wait on @nymz opinion on that one.

2 Likes

Timeless? Is that the iem custom officers love? :upside_down_face:

4 Likes