What maintenance / security software do you run?

for any system / mobile device you use…so Windows, Mac, Linux, Android…I would say iOS, but it’s so locked down I don’t think there is actually anything that really does work, even if it can be ‘installed’. :stuck_out_tongue:

I use Malware Bytes, the paid version and CCleaner, also the paid version, for my WIndows PC. my Mac only streams music, so has nothing on it currently.

None lol, I don’t trust anything I don’t do myself (well, it’s not like I trust myself either but at least I don’t have an excuse that way)

2 Likes

I use Malware bytes, CCleaner and the internal W10 Anitvirus…I run them manually every few days…

Never has any issues…been doing this since PC1…(worked in the PC Company Labs up to and after we were sold to LENOVO)…

1 Like

I also use Malware Bytes paid and CCleaner with a VPN… Never any issues.

1 Like

CCleaner, uBlock Origin, and IObit driver booster. The rest are standard stuff from Windows 10. Those are more for convenience to be honest :laughing:

Let Apple take care and in 9 years no probs…before I was scammed with Microsoft leaches…never again!

Ditto regarding apple… 6+ years and all is well :+1:… basic housekeeping and that’s it

by ditto, I assume you mean you think you’ve had no malware issues? how do you know, if you’ve not run any malware software? Apple is no longer secure…not like it used to be.

Let’s see…

Daily runs:

Software Note
Process Explorer Task manager for people who need to know more
HWinfo Hardware information tool, reads all (most) available sensors in your computer/notebook
MSI Afterburner IMO the best GPU logging/OC tool

Maintenance:

Software Note
Autoruns Manager for processes/software starts
GPU-Z GPU info tool
CPU-Z CPU & system info tool
Angry IP Scanner Network IP scanner
wireshark Network packet sniffer/protocol tool
WinDirStat Disk/folder statistics tool
D-LAN LAN torrent software
Crystal DiskInfo SMART readout software
TestDisk Data recovery tool

Linux:

Tool Note
lspci PCI/PCIe device listing tool
z shell The best shell ever made
2 Likes

I paid a company after they called me that was monitoring my computer. They told me my computer was slow, what was weird was I had to pay with a steam card.

Edit. Joking

3 Likes

it’s funny…if / when anyone I know gets this call, I have coached them to say, ‘that’s odd…I have a Mac’.

I love scam calls. I had one last year from “my ISP” telling me my router had security issues. I could hear water dripping and kids playing in the background. It’s like they weren’t even trying, I was insulted.
They didn’t seem to understand that I’d replaced my ISP’s router either. Seriously, never use the one they give you (I read in the US they actually make you pay for it).

BitDefender Total Security and common sense practice.

I tried Bitdefender a couple of years ago. Its “Advanced Threat Defense” would not shut up. It freaked out any time Windows Firewall Control (owned by MalwareBytes) blocked a program from accessing the internet. Bitdefender’s response was “stop using Windows Firewall Control then”.

Modern anti-malware programs have become parodies of themselves, offering more and more ludicrous utopian software solutions rather than offering ways to assist their users in safe internet practices (like checking if your OS is up-to-date). They’ve reached a point of being so intrusive that they actually impede the ability of OS and browser developers securing their own platforms.

This isn’t to say that you shouldn’t use anti-malware software, I do, but you shouldn’t get sucked in by “machine-learning, AI, cloud protection” marketing.

I remember reading a paper on how most anti virus (few exceptions) opens up new attack vectors instead of closing existing ones. Will link it when I find it again.

Anti-Virus has its place, but its place is not in an “notify user 90 times per day”. The way the windows inbuilt anti-virus handles things is probably the best: Tightly integrated and never noticed.

Reminds me of two more tools to keep on hand:
Kaspersky rescure disk - When your OS install is FUBAR
Malwarebytes Chameleon - One step before Kaspersky RD

yeh, Bitdefender takes time n effort to program your settings and preferences :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

At home I don’t use anything because I have throw away VMs to browse suspecting websites. My main computer and laptop are for gaming or YouTube.

Work computer has Malwarebytes. Yuck. Freaking hog!

Most of my data is saved on my Linux file server and has different accounts than my computer. So if a windows machine gets a virus it is unlikely to affect the data on the server.

On windows, Antivirus / firewall.
I can do the other maintenance task’s and no trash / fake / spy software is needed.

it’s interesting…but Norton AV is now a solid solution again. they’ve thinned it out so it’s NOT the resource hog it had become. it’s actually been a lightweight / fast solution for a number of years now.

the one I really wanna try is Webroot…but it buggered up my video playback, a known glitch. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like