What was your first IEM? and What IEM got you serious into the Hobby?

Mangird Teas. Some rando on YouTube recommended them. Can’t remember his name… B… G… something… :thinking:

2 Likes

A truly stark reminder that in the beginning, you make a ton of mistakes. I did as well. My first few sets were not the greatest. I’m truly envious of people Just getting into the hobby. Great sets are endless in the sub $100 area, it wasn’t always like this.

2 Likes

Fiio FH3. But my eyes were already on Teas/Oracle/Clair

2 Likes

Started out with the Tin T2. I could barely believe I was spending $50 on earphones. Heck of a trail of breadcrumbs after that, almost all within the realm of IEMs.

4 Likes

Let’s say the BLON BL-05S are what the BLON BL-05 should have been in terms of the sounds you get from it. But seeing lately there are a lot of better IEMs out there, sure a bit higher in price but worth it in the long run, I suggest you getting the Tripowin X HBB Olina (everyone keeps recommending me these, therefore in some time will get a set of my own.), the Shuoer S12 and if you want a bit on the budget side but very freaking great apparently, the Tin Hifi T3 Plus.

1 Like

Ah, it’s like a reminder on where you started at first. I wish I could find my SE215s for they somehow got lost in our house and never found again by my little brothers and my parents. This is the pain sometimes when someone like your mother is still bothered to clean your room, even though they don’t need to.

2 Likes

TFZ Exclusive 1 back in late 2017. Not only it was my first IEM but also what got me into this hobby in the first place. Thinking back now, it had a narrow-soundstage and average imaging, but still pretty decent for the price at the time. Definitely V-shaped and was a bassy IEM.

1 Like

Sony MDR EX650s would probably count as first IEM.

Rabbit hole proper started with the Starfields and we know how that goes :money_with_wings: :grin:

1 Like

1More triple DD IEM. Still have it, still works! Built like a tank. It’s fun to pop them in once a while and realise how much IEMs have improved over the years, and how much I’ve learnt so far. It’s been a fun journey and hopefully it’ll continue to be so :slight_smile:

1 Like

lol I am an recovering sneakerhead…when the pandemic hit I was like I need a new hobby since I am just home all the time now…and this being an audiophile is not too different from the feeling of unboxing a pair of sneakers and putting them on feet…in this case my ears…the only difference there is no really resale on IEMs. but yeah the perpetual state of buying…lol I like that.

3 Likes

$50!! man when I bought my T2s they were only $20…now prices are crazy imo

funny I came to this forum because I bought the Olina during CYN and a forever later they arrived and I posted pics of what I call my Mail Call on a facebook group i was on, and someone from the group asked me about the card if it was written in gold and I had no Idea what he was talking about, long story short HBB paypaled me because I got gold card #200! I did the Tanya filter mod yesterday and I really did change the sound signature and I am very please with it more than before.

Shout out to @hawaiibadboy BTW !! you the real MVP!

4 Likes

I some how avoided purchasing the starfields, I do have the Arias, KXXX, Kato, Nameless, Quarks, Spaceship, and SSP, I think thats all the moondrops I have.

1 Like

Not “now” - this was over two years ago, and with a code. I might not remember the price rightly, but whatever I paid was with a longstanding discount code with a particular Ali seller.

Edit: Yeah I’m pretty sure $50 was the discount price that long ago.

1 Like

My first set was Shures 215 - as I’m a drummer in my sparetime. Through YT I heard of chi-fi, and started with a set of TRN V80’s. Didn’t really like them though, but tried a lot of other stuff too. KZ, CCA, BLON, Tin Hi-fi and probably some other stuff too. However, all that stuff didn’t stay in my ears/kept the seal, when I was drumming, so I bought Shures 535 for drumming, gave away most of the chi-fi, but kept the Tin T2’s for music listening. That kind of chasing cheep in-ears ended up being expensive, so I got out for a couple years - the Olina was the back in, and I’m glad, I did. However, that also led to purchasing 6XX’s and the Heresy… Next big thing will probably be CIEM’s for drumming - looking at the A6T at the moment :smile:

3 Likes

I bought the T2 in April 2020 for $35 on Drop

1 Like

yea I use BASN IEMs when I record or live performances with my Acoustic Guitar…its an IEM for singers but it gets the job done for me for now

1 Like

I continue doing mistakes! But then I didn’t start a Long Time ago. I especially get wrong often with tip sizes. The last on date being the moondrop spring tips, that basically are for small ears: the L size is the same diameter then spinfit M…

I must precise that I still have the bl-03 and listen to it from Time to Time: I eventually put final type E on it that solved that nasty-sliding nozzle of those.

For tin t2, I bought on Amazon and sent them back, so I could test at no cost. I even bought it a second time: there was so much positive feedback on it I had to test it again after having gained a little more experience. In the end it definitely has too much sibilance for me.

I definitely feel that. Certain sets with larger Nozzles are a different ball game. I’ve never used a set with a nozzle as large as the Monarch MKII, so when I first got them, I instinctively put large tips, then down to Medium, now I’ve actually settled on small size. Which I’ve n e v e r used before. It’s just the nozzle size.

1 Like

Shure E2C.

1 Like