What would you do?

I am currently running a Arya v2 thru an original Bifrost 2 and Jotunheim 2, and am pretty satisfied with this setup. I’m considering upgrading the amp and or the headphone. The amp would be to the Burson soloist 3xp. The headphone would be to the He 1000 v2. What would you do?

Thanks,

2 Likes

I am currently running a Bifrost 2/64>Topping L70>Soloist 3XP (Poweramp mode)>Arya Stealth and I like the combination. That being said, I would normally say to upgrade the headphone first, amp 2nd, and DAC 3rd. I have yet to demo the HE1000 v2, but I would suggest listening to them before you buy if that option is available to you. If not, then check the forums for comparisons vs the Arya v2. I had to go by what others said when I purchased my Arya due to no local stores carrying them at the time. That has since changed, lol.

The long and short is that if you know you definitely want the new headphone then get that first. If you end up getting the Soloist 3xp later just know that I found that it sounds better with the supercharger vs without. If you get that with it that is an extra $300 or so.

Good luck, and happy listening!

1 Like

If I was satisfied with the setup I wouldn’t touch anything. But if your getting the hankering for something else I would go for the headphone.

3 Likes

I am also running a BF2. My favourite amps are iFi Pro iCAN and Violectric V220.
Headphoned that I love are:

1. Grado GH2’s - Amazing mids and above.

2. Focal OG Clear’s - Truly W-shaped headphone. My favourite w/any amp.

3. HiFiman HE6se V2’s - Magic with the right amp. Might be too similar to your Arya’s though.

2 Likes

The HE1000v2 is a really great headphone IMO and worth pursuing if you are interested. If you’re happy how the BF2/JOT2 setup works with your Arya then I’d suggest picking up the HE1000v2 so that you can listen with it on something you’re familiar with and get an idea if its something that you’d like to further optimize your chain for.

The Burson is a warmer leaning amp and my concern would be that with the BF2 also having a warmer lean it may be too much together with the HE1000v2. That was the case for me with BF2 and a Violectric V281 and I ended up picking up DAC with a slight more neutral lean to pair with that amp and the HE1000v2. That said, it was a matter of my preferences and YMMV.

Before I picked up a Susvara and then built a source setup just for it, I was running my HE1000v2 (HEKv2) with a Violectric v550 and a Spring3 KTE pulling DAC duty and I really, really enjoyed that combo with the HEKv2.

To recap, I think you’ll be OK with the HEKv2 and BF2/JOT2 to start with, and that’ll buy yourself some time to try some different amps, including the 3xp to see what suits your preferences best…

2 Likes

Well, when I was in that position and had the Bf2+Jot2 with the Clear Mg and HE6SEv2, I opted to move to the Ferrum Oor & Hypsos before replacing the Mg with the Utopia. So, that’s my answer I guess, lol.

For more context though, I think it probably also depends on whether or not you plan eventually both anyways. Or continuing to move even further beyond those. If you only plan to do one of the two, then I’d get the HEKv2(and upgrade the Bf2 to the 2/64, it’s absolutely worth it IMO). The Arya can scale with better source gear, but not enough to catch the HEKv2 even off of the Jot2. But if you plan to do both eventually, I’d get the Soloist first, since the Arya will scale. Or maybe something like a Questyle CMA Twelve, Headamp GSX-mini, or keep your eyes on the used market for a Pass Labs HPA-1, Bryston BHA-1, or something from Violectric.

1 Like

Much like hi-fi, you’ll notice far more of an improvement from changing the speakers (in your case, headphones) than changing amps or sources.

2 Likes

You say that you are satisfied with your amp and dac…If you were to upgrade your amp, dac, or both what are you looking for sound wise? If you are satisified with that combo and are itching for an upgrade, I agree with the others start off with the HE 1000’s and go from there…You may like them with that set up and if you don’t then start your upgrade path from there.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your input. I found a used pair of He 1000 v2 for a good price of 1350. With your input I have purchased them. Now the wait continues till they arrive.

4 Likes

I’ve had the HEKv2 on my ears for about 4hrs now. Wow! The Arya seems vailed in comparison, though I have come across a song or two that I think I prefer on the Arya. I’m also preferring the comfort of the Arya , but I guess we’ll figure that out. Now to figure out the chain going forward. Thanks again for the advise.

5 Likes

Great job on finding those for the price. Glad it worked out. I like the notion of the HE1000 V2 but there is no fucking way I am paying that price for them.

2 Likes

They sound really good. I thought my end game was the Arya, but sometimes we get that itch for more.

1 Like

I totally get it. And I dare say that if I could ever get a deal like that on an Arya, I would probably do it. But 3 grand? Nope. It’s a line in the sand I have personally drawn. Not for headphones. I don’t think they are worth 3 grand anyway. But $1350? All day.

1 Like

Well, since you brought it up. The HEK will be replacing my Arya V2 if you interested. PM me if you’d like my asking price. The HEK V2 and or Stealth addition last sold at 2k, but I get your point. Enjoy your weekend!

My apologies, Joe, we were speaking of the HEK V2. I got things mixed up.

The Arya is a fine set and is on a short list of what will be my next purchase. I’m saving up, but I’m not quite there yet. But thank you for the offer. It’s got me thinking for sure! (Picture the Angel and Devil on each shoulder!)

2 Likes

You too, Sir. Have a great weekend.

1 Like

My wife is not into music even close to the way I am. Last night she wanted to hear a Adele song on the new HP’s. Wow! That sounds great was her reply, how much did they cost. I said don’t ask. She said, that’s okay. They sound great and look old school. LMAO

4 Likes

I’m enjoying my current chain with HEKv2, but I am going to take your advice and upgrade the Bifrost to 2/64. You wouldn’t happen to have an opinion on the Lyr 3+ for some tubbiness.

2 Likes

I have the Lyr+, and I thought it paired pretty well with the HE6SEv2. Bit of a different sound than the HEKv2, and harder to drive, but you’'d still know it’s a Hifiman. I don’t think it has that stereotypical “tube” sound though. The 3 might be a bit better in that regard, but I’ve not heard it, and it’d been long enough that I can’t recall what people were saying about it. Something like a Xduoo TA-26, Cayin HA-1A (if you can get one used), or something from Feliks (also used if possible to save money) would be your best bet.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.