What would you say are the warmest DAC /Amp combo units?

single ended and / or balanced and enuff power to drive very high impedance headphones?

What kind of high impedance are you talking about? I have Sennheiser HD650s and an IFI Zen DAC. The IFI Burr Brown DAC is a nice warm blanket with power match on the Zen DAC enabled. Those are 300ohm headphones and it drives them very well. I rarely go past noon on the volume pot. The Zen DAC has balanced 4.4mm Pentaconn and unbalanced 1/4in jacks.

1 Like

The warmest Iā€™ve heard are the IFI Burr Brown stuff.
What are you trying to drive?

2 Likes

for combo units? I would throw in the Schiit Hel on that one. Really powerful warm sounding though itā€™s for ā€œgamingā€ still really good lol

1 Like

HD600ā€™s are likely the highestā€¦but perhaps the DT880 or 990 600 ohm.

I totally forgot about the iFi Micro.

does Aune have anything? swappable op amps on a combo would be very cool.

The Hel is warm? Havenā€™t heard it, but just thought it followed suit of the Heresy on the analytical side.

Is this the warmest in a specific price range, or just overall?

I heard the Donald DAC and the Liquid Spark are pretty warm combo. if you want higher end, the RNHP and Bifrost DAC

Itā€™ll drive the 600s no problem. I donā€™t know about the DT880s. That might be pushing it. I donā€™t think youā€™ll use the full potential if you go with a Zen DAC. It would need a better amp I would assume.

I can drive my 660sā€™s to an OK level on the Microā€™s eco setting but normal will give you some extra :muscle: and no real need for the turbo setting tbh.

Ifi Zen dack + bottlehead crack. Done :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: no solid state amp can hold a candle to a proper tube amp for warmth.

2 Likes

asgard 3 with the internal multibit card is pretty warm and powerful

you want a combo correct? not separates?

yes, a combo.

any really good tube hybrid combo units out there?

iFi Pro iDSD would give you pretty much all youā€™ll ever need in one box, other wise itā€™s separates i guess :man_shrugging:

Thereā€™s also the xduoo ta-30

1 Like

yehā€¦well outta my budget unfortunately. :frowning:

trueā€¦but just because something exists doesnā€™t mean itā€™s worthy.

is it not good? my bad, I donā€™t know much about the ampā€¦ that said I think tube hybrid combos are pretty rare so I was just throwing out an option :sweat_smile:

I havenā€™t heard good or bad things about itā€¦but I would hope Iā€™d only get suggestions that people know are good. :wink:

ah yes I completely understandā€¦ I normally put ā€˜I havenā€™t heard it butā€¦ā€™ infront of a suggestion I havenā€™t heard so thatā€™s my badā€¦ thanks for keeping me in check lol

1 Like